• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New ship, old ship

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Here's an alternative brigantine for use in the "Spanish Main" and, to a lesser extent, "Golden Age of Piracy" periods:
brigantine_old.jpg brigantine_old_bow.jpg brigantine_old_stern.jpg
It looks less sleek than the more modern "Brigantina" design currently in the game and therefore more suited to the older periods.

Originally I wanted to import the GoF brigantine, but this suffered from the same problem as some other GOF models. It shows light and shadow wrongly; if the sun is on the starboard side, for example, then the starboard side is in shadow and the port side is brightly lit. The best I could do was use a slightly different, and slightly less detailed, hull from the AoP:CT brig, which gets its light and shadow right. Some re-arranging of locators was necessary to account for the different rig, but it now seems to work and there are no "Bad rope" messages in "system.log".

The idea is that this is an older style which replaces the "Brigantina" models entirely in "Spanish Main". In "Golden Age of Piracy" this ship is less common than "Brigantina", and it disappears entirely from "Colonial Powers" onwards. Performance is set to be somewhere between "Brigantina" and "CastelF".

For some reason, that model looks vaguely familiar; but that might be because many AoP/CoAS models have a very uniform style.

It's the AoP:CT brig hull, the same one I used for "brig3" for the same reason - the hull I wanted to use from GoF had the lighting problem. The GoF brigantine has a slightly different hull so it would have looked more distinctive, but the lighting bug made it look even more distinctive in the wrong way! Especially since the masts are lit correctly and these ships have mast stumps on the decks, which means part of the mast is correctly lit and part isn't.

So this brigantine has the same hull as a brig. That shouldn't be a problem. "Brigantina" has been getting away with the same hull as all the other brigs in the game for years. :D

Back