• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion New Storm Engine for POTC NH?

Lone Fennec

Powder Monkey
Ahoy m' mates!

After a long absence from NH I came back this week, and been having a blast at iron mode despite all the limitations and bugs here and there, but today i came upon a news about Akella releasing the Storm engine as an open source and people already started upgrading it to include DX9 for sea dogs

So I was wondering will something like this happens to POTC NH? specially the feature of unlocked scripting and modding, a lot of features can be implemented with an improved storm engine, or are we stuck to oldie stormy, or Maelstorm engine?
Not hating Maelstorm engine, but having to pay 12usd for it, is kinda expensive to the current me (T.T)
So here I am asking with hope, will the NH one day use a new improved storm engine (or maybe the fellas from sea dogs share it, I mean....we are all pirates buddies after all....right...?)

Work is underway to have NH run on the updated open-source Storm Engine.

After a fairly slow year, progress has picked up again, and ironman mode is getting close to finished.

There is currently a private alpha build shared with the other storm modders for testing. Once the obvious bugs have been fixed, I'll make a public test build as well.

Work is underway to have NH run on the updated open-source Storm Engine.

After a fairly slow year, progress has picked up again, and ironman mode is getting close to finished.

There is currently a private alpha build shared with the other storm modders for testing. Once the obvious bugs have been fixed, I'll make a public test build as well.
Great news! Can't wait for the alpha build to go public!
out of curiosity what are the new features of ironman mode that will be released with the new storm engine? or will it just have the current one but more flashed and bug free?
and is there a place where I can check the progress? maybe a discord/github??

sorry, I'm just excited at such news

I'm currently trying very hard to not add any new features yet, so that I can focus on the actual porting, and to easily maintain parity with the current mod version until we can drop the original engine from the mod.

So currently it is just improved graphics and less bugs. Once the porting is complete we could also make New Horizons a standalone game, without requiring PotC (which is no longer sold anywhere).

You can maybe track progress on Github: GitHub - PiratesAhoy/new-horizons at stormx, and I've also been organizing some basic livestreams on our Youtube channel to show of the progress and answer some question.

I understand what you mean and what you want to do, and I'm in full support of it! As you said as long as everything is ported to the new engine and bug free the rest will come on it's own!
I joined Discord, and I'll be checking GitHub for sure! I'll also try to check the streams on YouTube!

and Lastly I can only say! Thank you and Great work for doing this!

Back