• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Newbie Help

i decided to sell the schooner - figuring this ship might be better.. or at least different .. was a 20 24lb schooner though which seems to be pretty good. anyhow .. gona try this battle a few more times -- see if i can figure it out.

i havnt modded my game at all .. i am tempted but didnt really want to start again from scratch which some of the posts seemed to suggest i would have to.

What ship is it you sail now?

Yep depending on what you change and where a new game is a probability, if its removing ships for example then it will mean a new game or a messed up savegame.

I just had fun in a battle where the enemy had 1 Light Galleon, 1 Pinnace (default model) and 1 Schooner. I have my ship a Schooner and a Enterprise. I ordered the Enterprise to attack the Galleon while i went for the only ship that could be a threat should we take to much looses and damage, so i sailed straight for the Schooner but then noticed the Pinnace was pritty fast so while the wind was low i took advantage and began hitting the Pinnaces sails with chain shot. Once enough damage had been done i began to head towarsd the Schooner again.

I captured the Schooner and then went for the Pinnace after replacing my crew loses with those onboard the Enterprise, i boarded and captured the Pinnace and decided to sail away and leave the Galleon to try and give chase. The galleon focued on trying to catch the Pinnace which it was able to slowly catch up so as soon as i was out of battle range i removed the captain from the Pinnace and watched her sink (had some lag, not sure why). So i lost the Pinnace but at least she didn't fall back into the enemies hands, i was happy enough though, i came out with a Schooner which can help me fight some battles making it 3 ships in my fleet. I also (for the first time in this save) saw a Corvette, i so wanted the Corvette but i don't have the man power to board her and i don't have the ability to deliver powerfull enough damage to the crew with grape shot. So i had to let her be, and she was on a allies ship so in less i wanted a bounty on my head it was best to leave her.

went back to and older save .. moored the schooner, got a sloop instead of a lugger, maxes the crew stuck culverines on it and went back in for a few more rounds v edward law and got owned .. i am guessing lv 8 is too early for this guy ..

which begs the question why does one get so many quests that are level inappropriate.. and or how does one know when a quest is not level appropriate ?

A tip for you, try to take the ships sails down and then focus on killing the crew with grape shot, if you are playing with GOF 1.2 then you can use a few other ships other than the default ones. I can't remember which exactly, but i think the Heavy Lugger, Cutter and other small similar ships could also be used. It was a long time ago that i did the change for this and so much has changed since then that it could be a lot of other small ships that are used now.

I've tried attacking Edward at lv 9 my sloop was at the point of sinking and Edward's men killed me right away. Take the advantage of the time you have BEFORE going to Cumana and attacking Low, use it to level up maybe get a cuirass too while your at it a better sword and a better pistol. ( preferably a pistol that can fire more than one shot) and wait till lv 12 or 13 to attack him, dont worrie Edward wont go anywhere until you try to attack him, use the time you have wisely. Nice strategy Luke on that pinnace and schooner, I dont remember much about GOF! since my WinZip account expired and I cant open 7z files without it, and frankly I dont feel like paying WinZip right now, got too much going on as it is. :whipa

I honestly can't remember much about the Edward Low quest, but if you do get time to level up then i would do that buy taking the time to get some target practise done on ships to improve the effectiveness of the guns and also try to higher a good gunner who will further add to improving ths. I would also try to get a good skill with a light weapon, attacking and boarding ships will deffinetly help and there are plenty of pirates around to attack.

Thanks bud, i personally was hopping to keep the Pinnace because the sails on the Galleon was damaged aswell but the Pinnace's sails was to badly damaged and the Galleon closed up on her.

Oh yeah, 7 zip is free. Here is the version i use. http://www.mediafire.com/?ipeqtnjr63zw3w1

Thanks Luke now I can download the newest GOF!, I will install 7 zip later then GOF. Thats shame about the pinnace, though they are really only good for crating goods, in my opinion I dont see any use i them than just using them for merchant missions.

No problem bud.:onya

My strategy would have been to use the Pinnace as a mobile supply ship for crew, and ship supplies durring naval battles. Thats the only reason i boarded her, had i known that the Galleon would be a little faster than her i wouldn't have boarded her because i lost almost all my crew doing so.

I hate it when I'm in those situations its because of that I save very often, i'll be standing in Guadeloupe port, then I'll go to the outside of a tavern nearby and save again, then I'll save once I'm in there then I'll drink and gamble then save, then before talking to the bartender I'll save. A mobile supply ship? Why did'nt I think o that, closest I had to a mobile supply ship was in POTC and I mainly used it for smuggling, rum, sugar, linen for a Dutch Port, Paprika and coffe for Nevis, Sandalwood, ale and silk for spanish ports.

1) light v medium v heavy weapons ? dont really get what the benefits and deficits are .. aside from damage.

2) aiming guns - u usually manually aim them .. using the red indicator to fire - but deost seem to always work .. any advice on gunnery would be muchly appreciated.

3) i have never used 2 ships at once .. should i be ?

4) The GoF mod - can you use non modded saved games .. or would i have to start from scratch ? If i started from scratch would i have to do the whole prologue thing again . think i would rather play minesweeper than do that all over again.

i guess i will go back to doing Trade Missions and capturing the odd ship while i ply the trade routes. Quests seem to be a mix of overly complicated or too hard for my level.

I think i will keep to my 20 24lb schooner for now .. seems the best ship till i can get a frigate or the like.

Anything else i should be aiming to do ? Work for one countyry, make it so all the countries dont hate me ?

1. If you try to use a medium or heavy weapon to early on you will find you use more energy than if you had used a light weapon. But as your skills get better and your rank increases the enemies get harder with better weapons so you also need to be able to get better weapons.

2. COAS is all about leveling up, so if you want to say for example damage the sails on a ship you aim just above when the target indicator changes red, yellow means you will miss, but not with chain shot when trying to hit sails. I alway's aim a little higher, but if firing grape, round shot or bombs i keep the target in red and aim as high as i can without the target changing from red. Then i change the hight if i need to (ie my shots all went over the enemy ship).

3. It depends, its not needed but does allow you to take advantage of been able to deliver more damage to the enemy ship(s) or keep the busy while you try to sail away, or draw some fire from your ship while you try to position your ship in a more tactical way.

4. No sadly you can't, but if you do install the GOF mod then you won't have to do the Peter Blood quest again if don't want to. But if you want to start with the Arabella ship then you will have to do that quest again or wait till you level up high enough to see her at sea.

24ibs on a Schooner, wow talk about been way out of historical accuracy lol. In GOF you will notice a huge difference in calibure sizes you can mount on ships, but you will also notice that culverine are better but cost and weigh more. Mine can mount 4Ibs, the max i have seen is 8Ibs on a Schooner and i would have gone for her had she been a enemy ship.

thanks the replies .. really makes me want to play more .. without the advice i might have given up already :p

before i go any further with the game is it is .. what are the "soundbite" benefits of the mod ? And feel free to sell it to me.. i am more than willing to start over - if the benefits are there . although i love good gameplay and would love to see great additions there, i am also a student of history and would enjoy a well researched more truthful environment within which to play.

I am off to get food but i have downloaded the GoF files v 1.2 and would take the plunge when i get back if I knew it would be worth it. I think im only lv 8 with 1 ship and a few officers .. not far enough into the game that a restart would be beyond thinking ..

Ok sell points of GOF, well i will warn you now, GOF 1.2 is known for crashing when you start to see class 3 and above ships. So be ready for that, GOF 2.0 is still in beta testing but has proven so far to be more stable without any crashes durring naval battles, but its early day's and none of us have reached the rank where class q1, 2 and 3 ships will show up.

Sell points.
1. Many new characters to choose from when starting.
2. Can choose to start as pirates or the original nations (England, France, Spain and Holland).
3. Switches that you can change in the options screen on a new tab called mods, these switches are for more realistic or default settings like realistic costs, which changes the costs of goods by lowering them a little, realistic weights which increases the weights of goods making it so you can't load your ship up with a load of goods for more realism, RTBL which changes the damage you can deliver to enemy ships and the same for the enemy ship to you and your crew and sails. Many other features you can switch on or off, take a look at them.
4. Different sea, the hights are not as drastic although many say its to calm. In GOF 2,0 this has been fixed though.
5. Skill books replace the trinkets for added realism, no more rings giving you a boost to your luck skill, in stead you will get books that will do this for you.
6. In GOF 1.2 there is over 150 ships with new textures and are sorted out into there respective class by the amountof guns they have mounted.
7. The Black Pearl, Interceptor, Victory, Constitution, San Felipe, Queen Anne's Revenge and many many more ships.
8. Realistic ship purchase, this has been put seperate to those i already listed for a good reason, it reduces the likelyhood of seeing ships that are to high a rank for you at sea and also makes it so you will never be able topurchase Frigets, Corvette's, Fluet's etc from the shipyard as they would have been specially made for the nation and not your average privateer.
9. New calibures of cannon/culverines, default is 12, 16, 24 and 32 for cul;verine with cannon having 42 and 48ibs available to them. Now you will have 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28 and 32Ibs for culverine with cannon having the following ontop of these calibures. 36, 42, 48 and for forts 92Ibs.
10. Range that the shots can be fired has been lowered to bring shup battles closer together as it should be rather than blasting each other from afr distance.
11. Many bug fixes that made the vanilla version unstable.
12. Can loot the dead bodies for iteams to sell or use.
13. ship cargoholds reduced to make way for better and more realistic trading.
14. New music, sounds etc, so while onboard your ship you will hear the ship creeking but also tapping as if the carpenter is busy working on something etc.

There is so much to list, my suggestion would be to take a look at the GOF 1.2 thread on the first page. For GOF 2.0, ships are less than GOF 1.2, almost half has been removed but much has been done to change the way they come across, like ship speeds reduced to more realistic speeds, turn ability reduced to reduce the ships spinning on the spot (doesn't fix it but has stopped it from happening all the time). new RTBL value's that increases the balance for and difficulty, new improves sea so its not as calm. Almost all the features in GOF 1.2 are in GOF 2.0.

You will be blown away by the changes, a new look to the main menu and such will make you smile. For GOF to be installed all you need to do is install COAS, GOF 1.2 + patch or if installing GOF 2.0, then its COAS, GOF 2.0 + patch 2.0.3. You will never play the vanilla game again.:yes

got 1.2 installed -seems to be running well.

question (novelty i know.... )

the ship it starts you with looks good but i am guessing like the vanilla game you should down size immediately and work your way up ? or should one keep and it and try and make something of it quickly to pay for its upkeep ?

Try making use of your starting ship and catch some small vessels, sell their goods, level up and buy a new ship that you are confident it will best suit your purpose( firepower, or speed).
Most the time I get a loan from the bank in order to at the start get, crew ,repair ship and restock with food. :checklist

got 1.2 installed -seems to be running well.

question (novelty i know.... )

the ship it starts you with looks good but i am guessing like the vanilla game you should down size immediately and work your way up ? or should one keep and it and try and make something of it quickly to pay for its upkeep ?

From the sounds of it you have picked a character who starts with a ship already, perhaps Jack Sparrow?

If so then then (depending on the class of ship) you can down size if you wish as the ship will be generated at sea agin at some point for you to capture. But this is up to you, i personally only play as Red Leg Greaves because i like the way he strikes with the sword for each of his attacks.

Red Legs strikes different? :shock I really have not noticed anything different about how Red Legs fights in melee Combat but of course its from my experience in v1.2 Gof I dont know if you guys changed the fighting in v1.2 and I did not notice or its just in the newest GOF.

i went with a merchant character Jeremy Pii .. starts with a light colonial frigate, 174 crew, 30 8lbs (4 lbs atm)

ive only got 74 salors atm and not alot of cash left .. and maneuverability is only 6.3 / 57.97 .. and 8.38 / 13.16 for speed ..

wondering if its the ship / amount of crew or my skills .. i like the ship - but dont want to bite off more than i can chew right off the get go.

Back