• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Newbie here... some questions on COAS

BootstrapBill

Landlubber
Hello

I just got my copy of the game. Can anyone tell me what the latest version is? Are patches available already?

Also, I was wondering about the resolution support. It looks like it doesn't support native wide-screen resolutions at all.

I have a widescreen monitor supporting 1680x1050 and was wondering if any of you might have the same and how to set it up for the best visual quality. I jhave tried changing the *.ini file but cannot really see any difference between manually setting the resolution there are apposed to setting it in the config utility. Even using the highest supported one look awful on my pc....

System specs are not the issue, it's a Dual Core 3.0Ghz and 8800GTX in SLi.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
G

P.S Any must have mods, fixes etc that I need?

You're right, the game doesn't really support widescreen. You can set the resolution to whatever you want in the engine.ini file, but setting a ratio of anything else than 4:3 will deform the user interface. The 3D world itself won't be affected, but the game unfortunately handles widescreen the same way Bioshock did - instead of offering a wider field of view it simply crops the top and bottom of the sceen away. So your best bet is to set the game to run in a window and set the resolution to 1400*1050. That'll make the game run in a 4:3 borderless window in the center of your screen and allow you to tab in and out of it (doing so in fullscreen causes the game to crash). The minus side is that you'll have strips of your desktop showing on the sides.

Back