• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed No enemy captain on ship!?

UnwantedNewborn

Landlubber
Hello fellow captains. I've recently ran into a annoying bug where if i board a ship that surrendered there is no enemy captain to ...greet me. When i take a ship by force though their captain is there. Any solutions? Thanks a lot.:cheers

Attachments

• error.log
    90 bytes · Views: 383
  • compile.log
    3.3 KB · Views: 324
  • system.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 363
Does that always happen?
I recall hearing about that bug before, but I thought it had supposedly been fixed by now...

I have this save for a few days now... but this problem appeared last night. Maybe it has something to do with me getting a certain skill? I think the last skill i got was Light Repairs. I think.

Attachments

• FreePlay.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 329
I have this save for a few days now... but this problem appeared last night. Maybe it has something to do with me getting a certain skill? I think the last skill i got was Light Repairs. I think.
Shouldn't be; if anything, I'd expect it to be related to the Passengers you have.
Maybe if you have TOO many, this could start to happen?

If you have too many passengers then you won't get the options to take the captain prisoner or make him an officer, but it shouldn't prevent him from appearing.

"compile.log" says this:
Code:
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <0> can invalide model(napitan) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false
That came from function 'CreateCharacter' and presumably means that it can't find model "napitan". That model ought to be in the Beta 4.0 Part 2 Contents archive.

@UnwantedNewborn: did you precisely follow the installation instructions from the first post of this thread?
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 25 May 2018][Beta 28 May 2018]
And have you installed any other mods besides those listed in that post?

If you have too many passengers then you won't get the options to take the captain prisoner or make him an officer, but it shouldn't prevent him from appearing.

"compile.log" says this:
Code:
CreateCharacter -> character Location fantom character <0> can invalide model(napitan) or animation(man)
LAi_CreateFantomCharacter -> CreateCharacter return false
That came from function 'CreateCharacter' and presumably means that it can't find model "napitan". That model ought to be in the Beta 4.0 Part 2 Contents archive.

@UnwantedNewborn: did you precisely follow the installation instructions from the first post of this thread?
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 25 May 2018][Beta 28 May 2018]
And have you installed any other mods besides those listed in that post?
I must have installed it correctly because it worked fine until last night and i didn't change anything. No, no other mods... maybe i can add the missing file myself or something similar?

You could check which "Napitan" files you have in your RESOURCE folder.

That's very weird; I'd definitely als expect Napitan.gm and Napitan.ani .
I wouldn't! "Napitan.gm" should certainly exist in "RESOURCE\Models\Characters". But "Napitan.ani" should not exist - that model does not need his own specific .ani, he should use the standard "man.ani". That is confirmed in the line from "compile.log". If there were a problem with "man.ani" then it would break a lot more than just one surrendered captain - it would break almost every male character model in the game!

There should be "RESOURCE\animation\Heads\h_napitan.ani", but if that were missing, it wouldn't prevent the captain from showing up. It would just mean that there would be a blank square instead of the usual talking head animation when you talk to him.

The reason I asked about other mods is that there was a batch of experimental mods which, among other things, altered the way other ships' captains were generated. It didn't work very well and one of the effects was indeed that captains of surrendered ships failed to show up. Those mods are not included in the files listed in Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 25 May 2018][Beta 28 May 2018] so that bug should not be happening - and indeed, I've been happily plundering my way around the Caribbean, using grapeshot to drop enemy ships' morale in the hope of persuading them to surrender, and have never had an enemy captain fail to show up.

If the problem only started last night, try reverting to an earlier savegame. You could also try deleting the file "options", which you'll find in the top level of the game installation folder - not in "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE". If you've changed any settings in the "Options" menu, you'll need to change them again after you delete the "options" file.

I wouldn't! "Napitan.gm" should certainly exist in "RESOURCE\Models\Characters". But "Napitan.ani" should not exist - that model does not need his own specific .ani, he should use the standard "man.ani".
Ah, true! I was mixing up my memory with the heads. :facepalm

I doubt it, but there's an easy way to check. Start another FreePlay game, look through the characters, and see if you can find the one whose description is "A lot of muscle, straight from Africa." If you can successfully start a game using that character then there's nothing wrong with his files. You don't need to save the game, just see if you can start it.

Did you try loading an earlier savegame and then looking for something to plunder?

I doubt it, but there's an easy way to check. Start another FreePlay game, look through the characters, and see if you can find the one whose description is "A lot of muscle, straight from Africa." If you can successfully start a game using that character then there's nothing wrong with his files. You don't need to save the game, just see if you can start it.

Did you try loading an earlier savegame and then looking for something to plunder?
No earlier saves and i can't seem to find the person with this description. Do i have to give up on my old save and start over again?:(

You don't need to lose your old savegame to try the experiment with "napitan". But you will need to change the fame level in the character selection menu when you are starting a new game. "Napitan" is not "Specific" or "Named".

Having said that, if there's a problem with the current game and you have no earlier saves, you may need to start a new game to try to fix the problem with enemy captains. If that still doesn't work, you'll probably need to re-install PoTC.

You don't need to lose your old savegame to try the experiment with "napitan". But you will need to change the fame level in the character selection menu when you are starting a new game. "Napitan" is not "Specific" or "Named".

Having said that, if there's a problem with the current game and you have no earlier saves, you may need to start a new game to try to fix the problem with enemy captains. If that still doesn't work, you'll probably need to re-install PoTC.
I started another freeplay game and i boarded a ship. Guess what... their captain is there waiting for me. So the issue is with the old save... now what can be done?:unsure

If that save is corrupted, and if you have no earlier save in that game, then you probably need to start over. Because if enemy captains are routinely failing to appear then it's probably not limited to the "Napitan" model. :(

Back