• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved No quests after 10th level

Here and Now!

Landlubber
I am new to this forum, so I would like to say: Ahoy everybody! ;)

As the title of this thread mentions, when I played Sea Dogs: Carribean Tales (GOG version) and my character achieved 10th level of expirience, then I simply cannot get any further quest except these related to main quest.

Did you have this problem? What is the solution? I looked through the forum, but there is probably no thread, which discuss this strange behaviour.

Thanks for responses :)

:) This is one of the big annoyances with the original game of CT. You've received the second part of the map, right? The game doesn't spell it out, but your main objective now is to trace your father's footsteps and find whatever the map clues are pointing to. This will require some deep logical thinking, as the answer is not as obvious as an "X" mark on the map. It's as realistic as a real clue to a hidden location, so you need to use your wits to solve the puzzle (it involves linguistics as well as the history of the Caribbean islands -- you'll likely need to do some research online about the islands and their history).

Let me know if you can't figure it out, and I can give you a more direct hint.

The unfortunate thing is that from this point on, the pre-written story campaign takes a very linear (and admittedly very shallow) turn. So if you've enjoyed the non-linear aspects of the game, you have a choice to make now: either follow the linear storyline, or abandon the traditional story quests and choose to make your own independent objectives and path. In either case, the ultimate aim of the game -- as in the first Sea Dogs game -- is that you build your own little empire to take over the Caribbean -- which is a long and challenging, but admittedly fun and liberating game objective indeed.

You can also set other objectives for yourself, such as building your own merchant fleet and pursuing legal business instead, fighting the enemy as a famous buccaneer and becoming a national hero in the war, becoming a feared professional pirate, trading illegal goods, attacking gold convoys and plundering enemy cities/ports, or simply explore, avoid dangers, and try and keep your journeys well funded and your crew well fed. (And these are probably not the only available options.)

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to save before you find what your father has intended for you to find (and just after it, when the event closes).

Last edited:
@Cerez, please, make me sure, when is the breakpoint: when I will get a second part of a map or when I will come to a grotto?
My experience with this game (two attempts of about 24 hours) has shown that game has no problem with giving new quests (other than the main plot) until my character gets a "magic number" in experience level.
After tenth level Blaze can get some experience points only through: naval battles, storms and (maybe) main story.
It's important to me, because I like to develop player character in trading before the improvement of fighting skills, but game force me to do in other way. Playing as a merchant without gaining experience points is pointless ( :p ) for me.
Do you know, how hard are these limitations coded and in which file(s) could I change it?

@Cerez, please, make me sure, when is the breakpoint: when I will get a second part of a map or when I will come to a grotto?
If I remember correctly, the gameplay changes (in the background) when you get (accept) the second half of the map. This event is automatically triggered when you reach a certain point in levelling up (level 10), and next talk to an innkeeper.

Finding the grotto doesn't change anything, but finding what you're meant to find there locks you into a lengthy dialogue with a battle and some hard choices. So if your last save is a long while away, save as soon as you arrive to the grotto, and save again when the whole shebang is over and as soon as you have free control again.

My experience with this game (two attempts of about 24 hours) has shown that game has no problem with giving new quests (other than the main plot) until my character gets a "magic number" in experience level.
Yep, exactly. What happens when you reach that experience level (and find what you're meant to find) is that the state of the game world and the gameplay changes. Essentially things become more challenging, events speed up, and a war begins. After completing the grotto quest, the free-roaming quests will be unlocked again, but everything will have become more challenging from that point on -- there are more enemies you will encounter, because of the war/unrest that has started. If you choose to follow the main storyline (do what your father has intended for you to do), you will be locking yourself into a largely linear story, a linear series of events, and won't have that much time and opportunities for free choice and free-roaming.

Important to note that you can complete pretty much all the same objectives while free-roaming and doing your own thing, so from a gameplay perspective this storyline was really not necessary.

After tenth level Blaze can get some experience points only through: naval battles, storms and (maybe) main story.
I haven't experienced this. I think this lockdown applies only until you complete the grotto quest. It's intended to push you to pursue the game's main objective and storyline. But note that, in this game, your main character's progress and skills are not all that you'll need to focus on. You need to find quality officers and train them (a captain can't do it all alone), you need to upgrade your ships to be able to endure the dangers ahead, to earn/steal funds to keep sailing and keep your crew and ships well equipped and fed, and to deal with rising challenges/difficulties and fixed time limits for completing your business.

Pretty much the only time your main character's level and stats matter, actually, is when they are fighting alone. Otherwise more experience points earned only serve to make the game more challenging for you, gradually (and setting certain scripted events in motion).

It's important to me, because I like to develop player character in trading before the improvement of fighting skills, but game force me to do in other way. Playing as a merchant without gaining experience points is pointless ( :p ) for me.
I completely understand that, and where you're coming from -- and I support it. :yes

Do you know, how hard are these limitations coded and in which file(s) could I change it?
I don't think you will need to change anything, as long as you complete the grotto quest and choose not to follow the main storyline.

But if you want to tinker with things, these events (lockdowns and starting functions) are defined in "Program/quests/story_line.c". (Just be sure to back up your original files before tinkering with them.)

I'm planning to develop a comprehensive patch that unchains the main storyline from the game, unlocks locked-down, fixed events, greatly expands on the dialogue/interactions (making even minor characters appear more alive, and enhancing the overall role-play experience), and makes the entire game free-choice and free-roaming. I found myself strongly disliking what the developers did with the main storyline in this game -- its rushed and poor execution. I think the game would have done much better completely without it, and pursuing the intended open gameplay it already had in motion -- perhaps not commercially, but certainly in quality.

For its open and free gameplay, however (even with the brief fixed main storyline interruption/annoyance), this is still my favourite Sea Dogs game, and I think always will be. :cheers

Last edited:
No worries, @Here and Now!, you're quite welcome. :)

Let us know if anything else baffles -- something's bound to. ;)

There is one thing I should mention regarding the officers -- to explain why they are so important:

Not only do their stats add to your main character's (or collective) stats, but each officer brings their expertise to the ship. This means that, for example, unless you have a gunner officer to lead your crew with their gunning in a skirmish, your crew's aim and handling of the guns will be disastrous. Don't be surprised if your guns quickly blow up. After all, none of those crewmen have the training necessary to know how to fire a gun. (Better made, more expensive guns also last longer, of course -- but only if your crew knows how to handle them!)

Similarly, a boatswain will improve the speed and usefulness of your crew, a navigator will vastly improve your ship's maneuverability, a treasurer will find you better bargains on the market (reducing the cost of items), and so and so.

So even when you are a merchant, quality ship's officers are important to you as captain or owner/commander.

The other thing I should mention is to avoid ship collisions in the game as much as possible. Setting the fact aside that ships of this era were not built to collide head-on, the game's Storm Engine is prone to crashing when there are heavy hull collisions.

In battle, your aim is to slow down and disable the enemy ship, then approach from a safe angle (where their guns can do you the least damage), deplete its crew with grape shots (they cause the least damage to the enemy ship itself, and the most damage to its people), and then carefully get close enough to board the ship, fight the battle, and capture it.

Light and low-speed collisions are usually okay, but don't say I didn't warn you. :p

Last edited:
Back