• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Non-anachronistic items?

Is there any possibility to add more items that would be more period-accurate?-

Simple clock is followed by chronometer and then there is sextant - dear God where is more period-accurate stuff like backstaffs, astrolabes, quadrants or even octants? If possible these should be added to storylines taking place before invention of such instruments as chronometer or sextant......

that's not even that hard. period-specific swords are in the works already anyway.

that's not even that hard. period-specific swords are in the works already anyway.
Hard to say as person who has no idea of modding :cheeky since items are not really seen outside inventory i think adding more periodaccurate instruments wouldn't be hard then.... but so i thought about changing the value of money... that seems to be hard then- in this game everything costs 100 or thousand gold coins while really one coin was worth much more compared to cheap goods....

but anyway sextant was invented mid-18th century as well as chronometer- both are too modern for golden age of piracy... sorry I'm such a historyfreak :mm :cheeky

periodaccurateships could be nice too- corvettes or luggers were not really 17th century ships while galleons started to be really oldfashioned during times of Hornblower or Lucky Jack....

Period accurate ships? That's one thing we definitely DID already put it the game.
If you encounter any ships in a period that you think you shouldn't, let us know and we'll be able to stop that easily.
But most of the encounters should be fairly period-accurate by now.

As for the items, one of the main issue with putting different ones in there is that these particular items have important gameplay purposes.
So just plain removing them based on the period, would also disable their gameplay purpose.
So we'd need to have different versions of the items that'd be more period-correct, but still serve the same purpose.
And then we'd need someone to make good interface screenshots for them and write the code.
It's not impossible though. :no

Period accurate ships? That's one thing we definitely DID already put it the game.
If you encounter any ships in a period that you think you shouldn't, let us know and we'll be able to stop that easily.
But most of the encounters should be fairly period-accurate by now.

As for the items, one of the main issue with putting different ones in there is that these particular items have important gameplay purposes.
So just plain removing them based on the period, would also disable their gameplay purpose.
So we'd need to have different versions of the items that'd be more period-correct, but still serve the same purpose.
And then we'd need someone to make good interface screenshots for them and write the code.
It's not impossible though. :no
Could it be some patch i'm lacking but i'm pretty sure i've seen luggers in 17th century.... not really anachronism since ships like that were used as fishing vessels in Europe at the time but pirates (mainly French privateers- corsairs) used them later late 18th- early 19th century..... but now when you mentioned it..... i haven't seen any ships in the wrong period.... well except that deckmodels of ships have a helmwheel there that was not in common use until 1710 or so :rolleyes: ..... sorry i know too much so i can find minor errors from everything.... :blah: there should be modded decks with tiller instead to clear up that problem and 16th century ships shouldn't even have that.....

So forget what I said..... you already made periodaccurate ships (Good job! :bow ) sorry i was unaware of that.....

What particular purposes in story those anachronistic instruments have?

I guess they can be replaced by something like "Advanced clock" and Davis' Quadrant or even Octant that is also too new in most storylines but invented 1730 or so... and it is closer to that period than sextant

i've already made the comment about the wheel not belonging on certain ships, but replacing it with a tiller was an idea that wasn't completed because the modeler couldn't figure out what it looked like somehow. it's only a matter of making a tiller model and replacing the wheels with it though.

Remodeling stuff is not easy.

The gameplay purpose of the chronometer and sextant is that when you've got them both, your ship's position will appear on the Archipelago Map in F2>Inventory>Maps>Archipelago Map.

i thought it would be relatively easy, since there are already various things added with mast locators. the wheels are one of those things. i'm not sure if there's any old ships with a wheel that have the wheel actually modelled onto them, although i am indeed a bit out of touch with the latest galleons and the like.

but regarding the actual topic, i suppose the interface images are the least of the problems. but to be honest, i don't mind the fact that more modern nav instruments are used in the older eras at all. there's bigger things to worry about.

Back