• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Noobish Questions

BlueMonkE

Landlubber
So, I do apologize as I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere else, but I appreciate the help.

I've recently gotten the game, and downloaded the combined mod, and I'm having some issues.

Gun fall out; I can not make repairs. Every time I click the fix button, it adds cannons to my inventory, up to thousands and thousands of cannons.

And... yeah. I appear to have forgotten my next question. Anyway, thanks in advance!

Some of the ships added with the mod have the cannon glitch. In my experience, this is usually caused by the number of cannons in the ship's file (Ships_init) not matching up with the actual number of cannons on the ship in game. For example, the new version of the Flying Dutchman taken from PoTC has 52 cannons in it's file (23 on each side and 6 in front) and the original Flying Dutchman from the stock game was changed to match the new version with 52 guns. When trying to outfit new guns on the stock version of the Dutchman, the cannons would simply multiply in my inventory, but I counted the number of cannons on each side, front, and back of the ship and changed the number of cannons to the 60 cannons the ship had before (24 on each side, 4 in front, and 8 in back). After I applied the fix, the cannons worked properly again.

As for gun fallout, this is a normal part of the game, but if you want to reduce the frequency of this occurring, you can open the Cannons_init file and change the cannon's HP, reducing how often (if ever) the cannons will fall out. Just look for the line of code to change the cannon HP and change it to whatever you want.

For example:

Code:
	rCannon.hp = 60.0;

change to

Code:
	rCannon.hp = 600.0;

After this, the cannon you changed will be 10 times more durable. You have to do this for each type of cannon and culverine you want it to affect.

Thanks for the answer! At least now I know why I can't fix my cannons.

And I remember my other question!

So, items; they can't be dragged. How do I equip my officers with all the cool loot I've been collecting?

Again, thanks ahead of time!

To transfer items to your officers

Stand next to officer --- press Enter - menu giving - Go To - Talk - Trade -- should appear.

Select Trade and you will be able to swap items with your officer.

:doff

The whole problem is caused by having a conflict between the number of cannons in the ship's file and the actual number of painted cannons on the ship, so it shouldn't be too hard to match up those two values. I've already fixed a few of these in my game... it's not difficult, it's just tedious.

Thats how it was done for all ships originally, take the Pinnace Of War the amount of cannons doesn't match up to what the original value was and thats why some ships like that had this bug. The Edinburg is another. 2 cannons on each side = 4 cannons in total but it was down as 14 cannons originally. Reducing it to that value of 4 cannons coursed the bug and the ship would fire as if it was firing all 7 cannons or 14 cannons depending if you was firing a single or double broadside.

I've already changed all ships to have the original cannon quantities and i have tested the ones i had seen the cannon bug on. And like you said its fixed the problem, the only way to reduce the guns and not have the bug will be to remove some of the locators for the guns and i'm no modeller but maybe one day we will see either improved models of the ships with more cannons that it actually say's it has or the locators been fixed. For CMV3.2 though you will have the original value's so no cannon bugs (we hope).

Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate the info!

Finally, I can stock up my pirate homies (^_^)

Greetings!

First of all, I apologize for resurrecting an ancient thread but I couldn't find a satisfying answer on the forums.
Here's the deal: I am running the GOF 2.08 and I have the same "infinite cannon" problem as Desric with the Flying Dutchman. As per your advice I tinkered with the text editor a bit but to no avail. After I loaded my save and boarded the Dutchman the problem persisted. So here are my questions:
1) Do I have to start a new game for the changes to take effect?
2) Is there any way to fix this problem/edit in the current saved game?
3) Is the problem fixed in the current GOF version or any of the popular mods?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sadly any modifications you make to ships_init will not take effect for ships you own yourself. The only thing you can do is capture the Cursed Dutchmen ship again (if it was the quest ship though you would have to use the cheats).

To use the cheats press F11 and at the bottom right there is a tab "installations" go into there and check the last option "Beta Test Mode" now go to a shipyard and purchase the quest ship Flying Dutchmen. to turn the beta test mode off, go back to that tab and check it again. This is the only way to replace quest ships without starting over after doing changes to their ship data in ships_init. Its also the quickest way to test ships you have changed the amount of guns they can mount.

Hope this helps

P.S.
Note you will need to run reinit to update the game for all changes made in ships_init first this will also reset the shipyard data to random (as if you hadn't visited).

fd.jpg
Sadly any modifications you make to ships_init will not take effect for ships you own yourself. The only thing you can do is capture the Cursed Dutchmen ship again (if it was the quest ship though you would have to use the cheats).

To use the cheats press F11 and at the bottom right there is a tab "installations" go into there and check the last option "Beta Test Mode" now go to a shipyard and purchase the quest ship Flying Dutchmen. to turn the beta test mode off, go back to that tab and check it again. This is the only way to replace quest ships without starting over after doing changes to their ship data in ships_init. Its also the quickest way to test ships you have changed the amount of guns they can mount.

Hope this helps

P.S.
Note you will need to run reinit to update the game for all changes made in ships_init first this will also reset the shipyard data to random (as if you hadn't visited).
Thanks a lot for the response. There is one last thing though: when I use the beta test mode the 2 dutchman ships that are coded in ships_init appear as they should with the proper statistics. However, the one that is generated in-game as the quest encounter is something like this (image) with fixed statistics and everything. It's sort of a mix between the two with monstrous HP. Where are the stats for it generated from? I browsed through ships_init but couldn't find it and naturally I want this version without bugged guns :) Thank you in advance!

No problem bud.;)

The ships HP is actually stored in another file (can't remember which file now) but this is because its a quest ship. I will look into the cannon bug for the next patch for GOF 2.

Are you playing with the latest version of GOF because its now up to patch 1.2?

So is there any way to add via cheats/console this specific quest ship with the statistics from the screenshot, aside from editing the class 3 dutchman in the ships_init and using your shipyard method?

No because the ship its self needs to be updated and seeing that you have one it can't be updated, the only way is to use the beta test mode. Well that's not actually true, you could add the ship to shiputilities in scripts which would then allow that ship to be generated at shipyards randomly (would need to turn realistic ship purchase to coas default though). In less you add it to the specific coding that's for realistic ship purchase on, example bellow of code.

Code:
	if(!REALISTIC_SHIP_PURCHASE) // = If Realistic SHIP PURCHASE is NOT enabled
	{
		iTest_ship = rand(12);
	if (iTest_ship == 1) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_LUGGER), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 2) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BERMSLOOP), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 3) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_HANNAH), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 4) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_KETCH), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 5) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BOUNTY), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 6) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_SLOOP), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 7) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_EMPRESS), "ship4");

All ships above will appear in ship yards when realistic purchase is set to coas default.
	}
	else // = If Realistic SHIP PURCHASE IS enabled
	{
		iTest_ship = rand(6);
	if (iTest_ship == 1) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_LUGGER), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 2) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_BERMSLOOP), "ship4");
	if (iTest_ship == 3) FillShipParamShipyard(NPChar, GenerateStoreShip(SHIP_HANNAH), "ship4");

This is for when realistic purchase is set to on, as you can see quiet a difference in ship types and classes. 
	}

Adding SHIP_FLYINGDUTCHMAN oh wait that's the ported one from POTC so you would just need to copy and past one of the lines from the code above to either section and change the value at the start to it keeps it in order test ship == 1, 2, 3, 4 etc then replace SHIP_what ever ship is to SHIP_CURSEDDUTCHMAN save and exit and load your game (no need for reinit although it will reset the shipyard for you so new random ships are there). I think maybe that cursed Dutchman version should be removed, we already have the flying Dutchman as a quest ship.

Well, thank you for your help. Both the class 3 ships need work apparently, but the class 2 one is perfectly fine and an awesome vessel to boot. I'll just add it in place of my quest ship.

Earlier you suggested to update to GOF 2.0 1.2. Will I be able to use my current saved game? I believe I am on GOF 2.0 but on the previous patch.

Cheers!

Last edited:
your welcome bud.;)

Both class 3 ships, what other ship needs looking into? The stock Flying Dutchmen is a class 2 ship in your version of GOF2?

Previous patch, did you install GOF 2.0 Full Mod or is yours before that version was released?

If its earlier than I suggest waiting till you are ready to start a fresh game as its won't be save game compatible.

The second class 3 dutchman is the one with the monstrous hp i got from the quest. It's probably supposed to be the same as the one in ships_init but gets its statistics from somewhere else specifically for the quest.
The main screen shows my version as 2.0.8 or something similar. I believe I installed GOF 2,0 full mod with some smaller patch afterwards, but you've released a newer one last autumn.

Ah ok, yes the new patch that I'm working on resets the Flying Dutchman to the COAS default model. I released a new patch a few days ago patch1.1 was released last year and patch 1.2 is now available which is not fully compatible with save games, because of fixing ship listings I moved them around in files like common.ini which messes up the ships names, I did it like that thinking it would keep the mod save game compatible because I would normally move them around in ships.H using ships_init as the main file to follow the ship listings from, but this time I used ships.H and moved all ships to represent the order they are listed in that file. If you wish you can install the textures and a few other files from patch 1.2 which will keep allow you to continue your game without any issues.

Patch 1.3 won't be out for a while because I'm taking a little breather as to avoid burning myself out and give me chance to get back into playing COAS because when I start working on something the only time I play the game is in testing and then its always restarts after restart to check what ever it is I have been testing so I never get to actually sit down and enjoy the game. So this time I will, so right now all I'm doing is listing things to fix. Maybe in a few weeks I will start working on the new patch.

Back