• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help OBS Studio recording lags horribly

Lonious

Master Mariner
Hi all,

I've been trying out the OBS Studio to record my gameplay (on vanilla PotC).

I use DGVoodoo to run it (it would crash otherwise or the water would be bad).

However, it lags really terribly.

Does anyone know why this occurs?

Also, the screen doesn't show up when I run the PotC application as administrator. Only the audio.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Update: I switched the Encoder to Hardware, and placed Process Priority to High, which seemed to fix much of the land gameplay. But the sea battles still lag horrifically. :/

I would have suggested what you just did.
Unfortunately I only have limited experience with OBS and PotC, so I don't have anything else right now.

What are your specs?
Perhaps it can't handle recording the sea?
Also maybe switching the output resolution to a lower one may help.
For example I remember 1080p lagging, but not 720p.

I would have suggested what you just did.
Unfortunately I only have limited experience with OBS and PotC, so I don't have anything else right now.

What are your specs?
Perhaps it can't handle recording the sea?
Also maybe switching the output resolution to a lower one may help.
For example I remember 1080p lagging, but not 720p.

I tried changing the "Video Bitrate" if that's what you mean, and put it to 1000 Kbps. Which is a really low resolution. But it still lagged... :/

I did a quick test a while ago recording PotC with OBS on my 10-year-old laptop; and at first impression, it seemed to work fine.
I'm hardly a user yet though at all; let alone an expert one; so I can't say much useful.
Maybe @TechnicJelle would have a clue? He's the one who recommended it to me.

I tried changing the "Video Bitrate" if that's what you mean, and put it to 1000 Kbps. Which is a really low resolution. But it still lagged... :/
There somewhere is an option for the recording resolution itself.
But what you did should have similar affects far as I can tell.

As @Pieter Boelen said, @TechnicJelle or someone else may have another idea.

@TechnicJelle or someone else may have another idea.
I asked him; but he doesn't really have anything more to add either...

If this means anything, the lag seems to occur specifically when the ship cannons fire.
One thing I recall, the game CAN slow down when there are plenty particle effects close to the camera.
For some reason that puts a lot of strain on things.

This is where the resolution settings are in OBS (I've also added a few tips to try and get your performance to be better):
upload_2021-8-13_16-6-41.png

I also recommend trying to keep that video bitrate number to at least over 1500, preferably at 2000 or more, but experiment to see what your computer can handle.
And your CPU indeed really isn't the greatest for this kind of thing, I'm afraid...

This is where the resolution settings are in OBS (I've also added a few tips to try and get your performance to be better):
View attachment 39263
I also recommend trying to keep that video bitrate number to at least over 1500, preferably at 2000 or more, but experiment to see what your computer can handle.
And your CPU indeed really isn't the greatest for this kind of thing, I'm afraid...

I'll try that out. Actually, after recording numerous times, I've found that not all sea battles lag. In fact, I've managed to capture several sea battles without severe lag. But in the latest battle it lagged horribly after the Redmond fort fired on some enemy ships, and then the lag continued even as I went to land. I'll investigate further.

Back