• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Officers' salaries in Brave Black Flag

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I'm currently starting looking for more inconsistencies in payments. And, well, there is something weird going on with the BBF. Do we have a "general craziness" category for a bug report? :)

I start a new BBF game with default settings. I have a bunch of officers, every one is willing to work for free. So far so good. I assign party members and then keep going back and forth between the ship and the shore, asking my officers about finances and checking salaries on F2>Character screen. Soon enough, Brian Darcy starts to ask 280/month. That's what F2>Character screen says. The officer I ask about finances, on the other hand, sometimes agrees with that, but sometimes tells I'm paying my officers only 140/month... :monkeydance
Will look further...:popcorn:

Those officers are generated pretty much at game start and possibly don't get their salaries set correctly just yet.
Can you confirm that they only start to show a proper salary after you changed their roles about the ship?

Those officers are generated pretty much at game start and possibly don't get their salaries set correctly just yet.
But I thought they are supposed to work for free for whatever plot reasons... If they're not, we just need to properly initialize their salaries.

But I thought they are supposed to work for free for whatever plot reasons...
It's just a free play opening, so there is no plot whatsoever.

If they're not, we just need to properly initialize their salaries.
That would indeed make the most sense to me. Apart from very specific main/sidequest characters, I reckon ALL officers, including quest ones, should be paid salary.

I do wonder if having so many officers at game start for BFF may give the player more of a fincancial challenge to make ends meet, rather than actually being a help.
But then.... they're random officers. You can still fire them. :shrug

I just tried this and CONFIRMED the problem.

These guys are pre-defined in PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\characters\init\Officers.c WITH a "quest.officertype", but NOT an officer price.
They are added as the player's officers BEFORE being loaded in the first location with:
Code:
        // First Mate
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("William Sullivan"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("William Sullivan"));
         // Navigator
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("David O'Hara"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("David O'Hara"));
         // Gunner
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Brian Darcy"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Brian Darcy"));
         // Boatswain
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Killian Kildare"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Killian Kildare"));
         // Surgeon
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Emily Butler"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Emily Butler"));
         // Carpenter
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Uriah O'Bannon"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Uriah O'Bannon"));
         // Quartermaster
         AddPassenger(pchar, characterFromID("Angus Calhoun"), -1);
         LAi_SetOfficerType(characterFromID("Angus Calhoun"));

In my test, they ALL got an officer price of 0 gold. However, their price increases with (almost) all level-ups.
I tried this using the Level-Up Cheats.

On second thought, this may be "Not a Bug". Since they are your fellow mutineers, why would you have to pay them a lot of money? You're all in this together!
Also, setting reasonable salaries for those characters would probably make for a HUGE financial problem for beginning players.

I'd appreciate @jsv's and @Levis' feedback before archiving this though.

On second thought, this may be "Not a Bug". Since they are your fellow mutineers, why would you have to pay them a lot of money? You're all in this together!
That makes sense story-wise, but not initializing variables is not a right way to implement that ;)

In my test, they ALL got an officer price of 0 gold. However, their price increases with (almost) all level-ups.
In my test Brian Darcy's price was increasing after just walking around for a while, before any level-ups. Don't ask me why him and not the others. :rolleyes:

In my test Brian Darcy's price was increasing after just walking around for a while, before any level-ups. Don't ask me why him and not the others. :rolleyes:
Was he in your Shore Party? Were any of the others?

I know @Levis made some changes to Levelling again, which is very much related to this.
So maybe that particular weirdness has already been fixed now?

I had a full party, he was one of the 3 companions.
I tried different party setups as well. In all setups I've tried he was the only one asking for money and I haven't figured out what triggers that.

because they are in the players party the leveling script wont pick them up.
Which file contains this code? I will take a look at it....

And also PROGRAM\Storyline\FreePlay\StartStoryline.c for the part where they're actually added to the player party.

I suggest we add a attribute to have salaries not increase.
This way after the init the salary can be set to 0 and kept that way.
I think this might also be used for captured captains... Or should they increase?

I wonder if we should want to have officers whose salaries remain stuck at 0 gold. That might be a bit too much of a convenience.
Maybe they START at 0, but still increase on level-ups?

Yes, I think even if they are all fellow rebels, in the long run you still have to pay them. Or sign articles, like proper pirates do. :)

I wonder if we should want to have officers whose salaries remain stuck at 0 gold. That might be a bit too much of a convenience.
Maybe they START at 0, but still increase on level-ups?
I will just have them behave like normal officers first then. If people think its to much we can reduce it a bit.

Back