• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

One Ship=Three textures

Sharks Prize

Master Mariner
Here's a thought:

Let's say I wanted to modify the rpgutilite.c file to give myself a frigate upon starting a new game. Easy. Everyone knows that trick. But the frigate has 3 different 'skins' (texture sets) that are assigned randomly upon spawning of a frigate. There's a tan/red one, a red/gold one, and a black/red/white one.

Now, let's say I wanted to give myself a frigate upon starting a new game, but I wanted a 100% chance of getting the black one. Well, that's easy too. I could just replace the tan/red and red/gold skins with the black/red/white texture. But of course, then ALL frigates would be black. So what if I want a black frigate without making all the other frigates I will encounter at sea also black? Not so easy now, is it?

So my question is; Is it possible to type a line in the rpgutilite.c file (or some other applicable file) to force the game to give a new character a black frigate, but keep the random assigning of texture to the AI frigates? (The frigate is just an example. Most other ships have multiple texture sets as well.)

Also, is it possible to do the same thing with sails? So maybe I could have all black frigates have, for example, a blue sail, and all the red ones would have a green sail, and all the tan ones could have a red sail?

Discuss.

Well, I tend to keep restarting until I get a ship with nice stats, regardless of texture. So that's why I asked. The black one is the rarest, so it takes hundreds of tries to get a black frigate with nice stats. It's not really important, I guess. It was just a thought. But beyond that, how cool would it be if each texture for each ship had it's own sail design?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why was this topic locked and my account forbidden from making replies/posting new topics for a couple hours?

EVERY FORUM WAS LOCKED!

Sorry for the caps lock just making sure people realise this ;)

We are moving to a different type of forum and Keith was in the middle of doing it and it was just so he didnt have to come back to merge more of the posts to the new forum, however we arent changing just yet anymore :yes

Thats one of the improvements over POTC, in POTC you had to make a name ship for each texture or so i'm lead to believe. COAS allows 3 textures per ship, maybe more if coded right. I don't go much for looks, of course its nice to sail around in a nice ship but i would rather have a ship thats capable of doing what i bourght/captured it for, if its for quick getaway's then i want it to remain fast if its for battles then of course i want it to be able to deliver some heavy blows in battle and not be easily destroyed. So how nice the ship looks is not something i'm that interested in, the reskin for the Arabella is nice and makes the ship look much nicer however it could be the ugliest ship in the carribean as long as its capable of doing what i want it to do then i have no reason to moan.

The ships deck layout is something i do look at, i like ships that allow me to move around easily without too much blocking me, if we are fighting and i need to get to the back quick or to the other side i like to be able to do it with little problem. The Constitution is a ship i love but it can be hard to get where you want to go in the dark. The other thing is i like to be able to see where i'm going even when under full sails, so ships that have a low sail on the bowsprit is improtant, however when i'm in battle i alway's use half sails if under fire, which rigs the lower sails on the bowsprit. The Arabella from what i have seen of her does have a low sail on the bowsprit which would annoy me, the Caravel and Fluet's do too which does annoy me alot.

This is something we can't help you with, because as Luke159 points out, that's a post PotC modification.
It IS a pretty cool feature in CoAS, espcially if somebody finds out exactly how it works.
In AoP, that feature was used to change the hull texture to get copper plating and such.
So probably there IS a way to control which texture you get. You just have to find out how. :facepalm

There is a way you could do it SP, Take a look at Nixarass's CleanUrSails mod. Simply rename the three textures every possible combination, so you get three folders, each with the same textures, but all with the differnt names applied.

= means named:

tx1 = tx1
tx2 = tx2
tx3 = tx3

tx1 = tx2
tx2 = tx3
tx3 = tx1

tx1 = tx3
tx2 = tx1
tx3 = tx2

When you get the frigate with the stats you want, you apply the renamed textures files giving the black texture to the frigate you have but the black texture file has been renamed to be the texture the ship with the good stats originally had. You are essentially "tricking" the game into believing that red is black, etc... This also can be done without doing a restart. The only side effect is that now everytime the game believes it's spawning a red frigate say, it will actually be black.

You could actually make a mini mod that allows everyone to do this. Just take a look at how Nixarass did CleanUrSails and you will understand completely.

MK

There is a way you could do it SP, Take a look at Nixarass's CleanUrSails mod. Simply rename the three textures every possible combination, so you get three folders, each with the same textures, but all with the differnt names applied.

= means named:

tx1 = tx1
tx2 = tx2
tx3 = tx3

tx1 = tx2
tx2 = tx3
tx3 = tx1

tx1 = tx3
tx2 = tx1
tx3 = tx2

When you get the frigate with the stats you want, you apply the renamed textures files giving the black texture to the frigate you have but the black texture file has been renamed to be the texture the ship with the good stats originally had. You are essentially "tricking" the game into believing that red is black, etc... This also can be done without doing a restart. The only side effect is that now everytime the game believes it's spawning a red frigate say, it will actually be black.

You could actually make a mini mod that allows everyone to do this. Just take a look at how Nixarass did CleanUrSails and you will understand completely.

MK

I had actually already thought of that. Right around the 278th restart I believe. But then I got my black frigate. One might also just copy the frigate's info in the shipsinit.c file and then make 2 more resource dir for the 2 new ones, so you actually have 3 seperate frigates in the game that can be spawned, all identical except for the texture.

Back