• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Only Internet

KevO44

Lord High Admiral of the Seven Seas
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Is POTBS only on the internet, or is there goin to be a `single-player` mode that dosn't require and internet connection.

as far as i know there will not be a single player section of it at all.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to make the game single player without some serious hacking work on the game (which probably would be illegal) and adding a lot of your own content like islands and towns as it may not be possible to get that information from the server. It probably would be much easier just using POTC and the various mods for it like NathanKells Build and others.

I don't know how the game would work but if I expect that the programmers would make the game access the information about the POTBS world on the server and only download/access what is needed (I believe that's how MMORPG games normally work)
That's probably why broadband would be needed as there would be a lot of data downloaded to your PC about the POTBS world.

The only details that might stay on your PC after you disconnect from the server would be about your PC and possibly their crew and ship(s) everything else would only be available on the server.

I suppose that this would make it much easier for them to make changes to the POTBS world without making people who've not connected for a while download Megs of data.

i see it being the same as what some of the fans did with everquest. Only thing depens on they program a decent AI or if they rely on PvP all the time

it would be cool if does dudes will make it and let us buy and play from home on server like i cna host a server for a game for 100 m bit !!!!! and thats no probelmo!
and doese jerks think they can earn money with that no way who going to pay them for playing a game for one mouth pls popel tell me will u VAW!!??? ha? i wont i will buy P2 and Tortuge instead ! arghhhhh! scumbags :x

Ofcourse POTBS will be an online game only... That's why it's called MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). And I don't see why you won't buy it because you have to pay... It's fun to play with others!! :cheers

yeah, i think having an option to Lan or so would be nice to

As long as there's no initial cost, and you just get to download it and then pay US$10 per month, then it's well worth the price if you're still enjoying it 4 months down the track (only $40). How many games do you actually enjoy for months? There are a few pearls out there, but most games are not worth the money they ask (since you shelve them only weeks, sometimes days, after you've got them).

I've been quite looking forward to this game but was only really going to get involved once the second release was out (and avatars were instated), however, now that it's been delayed until the end of this year, I might just lose interest (since the second release will months again after that)...

I really don't see there being a LAN alternative since the game is aimed at the concept of there being HUNDREDS to THOUSANDS of players online, not 4 or 5.

I think POTBS will not be in store, it will be downloaded from the internet using steam.
I was looking forward to this game but after I knew it was a MMRPG I was somehow disappointed.
I was wondering how and to where do I make the monthly payment, I am not living in US so I dont know.
If I can play this game it will be like dream come true, omg I can just imagine how this game is gonna be like, bloody interacting with really people, `cyber-pirate`

Ya you could make some real enemies,Hey you sunk my battleship.Ill play it as long as I dont have to pay for a year in advance to play the game :):

Rawoo, you're right about there being no store bought version of the game. They intend to streamline all production costs so it's download only.

As far as monthly payments go, you would just log onto their secure server (once it's set up) and subscribe using a credit card.

The only issue with not living in the US is that your connection to the game server may not be acceptable. I've read that it's a broadband only game, and ping times will be relevent, although possibly not cruicial.

I'm beginning to wonder just how the game will play. It seems almost 100% of the concept is ship vs ship fighting; that's where they have focused all their fun into the game. That could actually get pretty boring quite rapidly... I'll have to wait and see, but I'd love to love this game. :blah:

I'm sure you'll be able to talk to others through a chat interface, but you won't be seeing them `in-game` for a while, only their ship. When you dock at a port everything you do is just menu driven, and then you set sail again.

When the second release comes out (which will be well into 2005 I think :D) you will be able to have a character that can walk around and do stuff and I'm pretty sure they also mentioned getting into barfights :blah:. The problem is, this stuff is just too far off...

I need more than a little, hehe, I hate finding out about something WAY before it's available! :cheeky:

I was hell anticipating PotC before it came out, and eventually I forgot about it. When it finally came out, I don't think I even realised it was the game I was waiting for. ;)

Back