• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Only person on enemy ship when boarding is me

madmatt

Landlubber
I've not played Age of Pirates before until yesterday, and I installed the Gentlemen of Fortune mod straight away, so I'm not sure whether this is my lack of knowledge of the game or a bug or anything, so I apologize in advance.
So, my problem is that whenever I board an enemy ship, even when I have crew on my own ship, I'm the only person on my side on that ship, so I get attacked by about 10 people at once, and I always die. Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? It's very frustrating D: thanks

Are you sure your the only person?

Before thinking of boarding any ship you need to have enough weapons to cover your crew, I always have double, so 80 crew = 160 weapons. If you have 80 crew and only 60 weapons then you will loose a lot of crew fast. Also its a good idea to have a at least 2 officers set to fighters with the best weapon type they can use (light, medium and heavy swards) a good pistal and as many bullets as you can get them as well as medical supplies.

The only time you should find yourself alone on a enemy ship is when your fighting the captain, any other time you should have crew with you in less they all die.

I believe you're attacking ships with much more crew than on yours.
If the difference is very big you really have to fight alone or with one weak sailor that is dying in first second.

Thanks for the replies :D that's all very helpful. How do I find officers? And how do I know how many men the enemy ship has? Thanks :)

No problem bud.

1: To higher officer's look in the bar, they will be sitting around the place. Just go and speak with them. To give them roles, press F2 and select the first option from the tabs at the top (character) now double click on any of the empty roles bellow your picture on the left and select the officer you with to fill that role.

2: It depends if you have realistic spy glass on or off, if you have it on then no matter which spy glass you use, you'll never be able to see the enemy ships information. But I believe the option to see crew amount is only included with the 3rd spy glass (good spy glass). To make sure you have realistic spy glass switched off, go into options, mods, and look for "Realistic Spy Glass", and change it to default if its on realistic. Then exit the mod options and carry on playing. If you can't see any info straight away and you had done this change while in a naval battle or something, go bellow deck and then go back to sea. This reloads the game and should also fix that, however I don't believe you need to do that, I think the only time that is needed is if you want to switch the compass from or to realistic (while in sailing mode).

Alternatively take a look on ships class. The higher class of the ship the more crew she has. At the beginning try boarding ship of same (or lower) class as yours. However, within same class crew number can vary.

True, but also note that you have 2 value's for crew, the maximum crew your ship needs and the maximum your ship can have on board. The enemy ships alway's tend to do what you would expect from pirates, and that's fill there ships with the maximum crew their ships can carry. So if your in a Lugger taking on another Lugger and you have the maximum required crew size, the enemy ship will most likely have much more crew than you because they fill it till it can't hold no more.

To better understand what I mean by crew, go to the bar, and hire the maximum crew you can, this will take the crew value as it changes from white to red. When its red it means you are over loading your ship, which is what the enemy alway's do.

Consider this a simple ratio behavior. COAS aggregates all encounters. So on a large MOW fight there may be 20 to 30 guys (entities) fighting with weapons in hand on each side visually portrayed during the fight. You may have 800 men on your MOW and the enemy may have a thousand, which makes each man you see worth several dozen men aggregated.

You will notice if you have a smaller ship and board a larger ship with more men that his men are REALLY tough! That's because that one guy you're fighting is actually four or five aggregated into the one you are facing.

So if you are by yourself on deck facing an enemy crew, your character is representing your entire crew of 10 or 20 men against their 120 or whatever. That's just how the game mechanics work.

MK

Back