• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Original POTC Technical Issue

Pall Mall

Landlubber
Hi everyone

I would like to say thanks for the mods and sorry for my english .

First Intel Integrated Chipset are not supposed to run POTC -> "The following cards are supported..."
But I believe it could be if we tweak the graphics manually. like what Sailor Apprentice did for COAS ->"Having odd framerate problems..."
Or like the great job of Oldblivion Oldblivion
I would like to know if we can disable some of the sea effects. Here's what I've experienced ->

The game doesn't have mods installed.
The game doesn't start because of Sea.dll.
I had to remove Sea.dll and it runs really smooth. (with no sea. strange but playable)
Then it crash again when a ship fight comes. This time it's Animals.dll.
I removed Animals.dll... crashed when a ship fight with no error log.
Therefore I know the laptop can run the game but that some special effects are messing with the onboard chipset. (XP sp3 / 1.7 celeron M / 1.5 Go ddr / Intel 945gm)

Note - I've also try swiftshader 2.01. Very interesting. All "special effects" are managed by the processor but it's just really slow with a small pc .
Here's a tutorial about the ini config file of Swiftshader. Any of those tweaks did not improve framerate in my case.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

4. Open up swiftshader.ini with notepad or wordpad, and edit the options as needed. Here is a rundown of what options are there:

[Capabilities]
PixelShaderVersion=21 >> - defines maximum pixel shader version, e.g. 21 = 2.1, 20 = 2.0, 10 = 1.0
VertexShaderVersion=21 >> - defines maximum vertex shader version, e.g. 21 = 2.1, 20 = 2.0, 10 = 1.0
TextureMemory=512 >> - defines texture memory, if games run too slow, try changing to 1024 (only if you have 1GB of RAM)

[Caches]
VertexRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
PixelRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
SetupRoutineCacheSize=1024 >> - don't touch these
VertexCacheSize=64 >> - if games run too slow, change it to 128, any higher will make the game even slower

[Quality]
TextureSampleQuality=1 >> - don't touch it, lowering sample quality will not improve performance
MipmapQuality=0 >> - it defaults at 0, so don't touch it
PerspectiveQuality=2 >> - don't touch
TranscendentalPrecision=2 >> - don't touch

[Processor]
ThreadCount=0 >> - change to 2 if you have dual core, 4 for quad core, or leave it at 0 for single core CPUs
EnableSSE2=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled
EnableSSE3=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled
EnableSSSE3=1 >> - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, leave it enabled
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks a lot every help will be appreciated for sure.

Marc

Intel cards are shocking for games, older cards struggle to play them and the new ones dont play old games...

Swiftshader will allow the game to run but it causes it to be really slow (no matter what computer it is) :(

The removing of sea.dll effect sounds very familiar; other people have reported that before.
I have no idea how we could disable any effects though.
Don't think we even can until we get those game source files.

Back