• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help P.I.R.A.T.E.S stats vs. skill stats (navi,acc,cannon etc)

Symban

Powder Monkey
I have a question about the effect of P.I.R.A.T.E.S stats on skills such as Navigation, Accuracy, Cannons etc.

is there a difference between 2 officer with same navigation skill, but different insight/talent (related stats for navi) ??

example; officer A: navigation 100, insight 10, talent 10 vs officer B: navigation 100, insight 5, talent 5

Can you explain in formula if possible? thanks

Anyone??? I certainly can't. It's never been all that important to me to look into. Even on Corsair level or higher with the experience toggle turned all the way down for slow progression (which is how I like to play) it seems like my skills are very high in a really short time (especially with the books added).

MK

The manual says that the formulae displayed when you click on a skill with the right mouse button ( in the case of Navigation -- I*0.2 + T*0.8 ) shows the dependance of skill improvement on your PIRATES capabliities. Navigation is more dependant on Talent than Insight.

So if navigation is 100 there is no more improvement possible so PIRATES should not affect it.

If navigation is say 50 then the rate at which it improves is affected by PIRATES.

In the examples given :-

Officer with Insight 10 & Talent 10 PIRATES gives value of ( 10*0.2 + 10*0.8 ) = 10

Officer with insight 5 & Talent 5 PIRATES gives value of (5*0.2 + 5*0.8 ) = 5 - so should increase at 1/2 the rate ( speed of the above) ?

If Insight 2 & Talent 5 - PIRATES gives value of (2*0.2 + 5*0.8) = 4.4

If Insight 5 & Talent 2 - PIRATES gives a value of (5*0.2 + 2*0.8) = 2.6 - which shows that higher Talent increases Navigation quicker than Higher Insight.

:read

I assumed that way as well, but then the explanation of 'Talent' made me wonder as it effects the skill progress speed.
So should I assume that a bosun with Endurance 10, Authority 10, Talent 3 will have lower progress than one with Endurance 5, Authority 5, Talent 10 ?
And in overall if PIRATES stats does not matter for 100 skills, when picking officers I should only look for max Talent, and physical stats incase I decide to bring them aboard to fights??
Currently that is what I tend to do (I don't get any officer with Talent lower than 9 regardless of how high other stats are). But not sure if I am doing it right..

Different components of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. - affect different skills to different extents - so depending on what skill you want to increase quickest you should be aware of the influence of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. on the speed of a various skills increase.

The formulae are:-

For Personal Skills:
Authority - (A*0.9 + T*0.1)
Light Weapons - (R*0.9 + I*0.1)
Medium Weapons - (P*0.6 + R*0.4)
Heavy Weapons - (P*0.9 + E*0.1)
Pistols - (R*0.5 + S*0.5)
Luck - (S)
Stealth - (S*0.5 + I*0.5)

For Ship Skills:
Navigation - (I*0.2 + T*0.8)
Accuracy - (I*0.8 + S*0.2)
Cannons - (T*0.6 + P*0.4)
Grappling - (R*0.7 + T*0.3)
Defense - (E*0.5 + A*0.5)
Repair - (E*0.8 +I*0.2)
Trade - ( T*0.8 + A*0.2)

@Talisman: yes these formula are also the ones ingame when you right click on a skill. The question is what is the effect of relevant stats to these skills?

If it is only skill development rate, Talent alone does this, so a high talent officer is already as good as another officer with low talent but high relevant stats for skills.

@Talisman: yes these formula are also the ones ingame when you right click on a skill. The question is what is the effect of relevant stats to these skills?

If it is only skill development rate, Talent alone does this, so a high talent officer is already as good as another officer with low talent but high relevant stats for skills.

:yes

Yes - I think it is only the officer's skill development rate that is affected. - So an officer with highest stats for a skill will be better than an officer with low stats ( but high Talent ) who has yet to develop the skill though he can increase it quickly.

Back