• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Particls editor XSP

LEOPARD

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Guys, hello everyone!
Please, if anyone has been engaged in changing effects for the city of lost ships, share the effects editor.
You need an xsp file editor.

Thank you in advance!
Sincerely, LEOPARD!

The Maya exports for models were clearly created using the Maya SDK that comes with install for version 5.0 that was used by the dev team.

Looking at the Maya SDK documentation, there are also ways to gather information for particle emitters, so my guess is that the particle effects were developed in Maya and were probably exported into a particular file format for the game with some sort of similar export tool built by the dev team, but nobody was ever given the original Maya particle effect files, and nobody got the export feature for those, either.

Currently, there is no way to edit them. In order to do anything with them, something like the following would have to happen.

1. Create a Maya particle project, create emitters, study the file format structure that the game uses in the game source code, and using the Maya SDK, create your own exporter to match the game's expected format.

2. Study the file format structure that the game uses in the game source code, and using the Maya SDK, create your own importer to create a Maya particle effect, that can then be edited. Then, just like #1 above, use the SDK to also create an exporter to match the game's expected format.

For my version, I also created a feature in the game to export the file information into a readable XML format (the game can also read in those same XML files, with a certain start.ini toggle), but without a better understanding of what all the numbers/values mean, it is difficult to figure out how to make edits to achieve various effects. Also, it is probably impossible to create new, completely different effects, or modify extensively for new particle behavior than what already exists in the effect you are editing, because you would be limited to the features of just that effect you started with. The best solution is #1 above.

Back