• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Patch?

Officerpuppy

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I was just wondering if there has been any news or rumors perhaps of development of a new patch?

if i didn´t miss any major news there isn´t any patch comming.
also doubt there will ever be one as the game was already some years (1 or 2?!) old when it got
published outside of russia.
it is the already patched version that got published :shrug

I think that it probably wont be patched again... I think what we should do is get all the REAL bugs (not annoyances) and fix them and release them on their own in a unoffical patch (for the people who dont want mods)

I think that it probably wont be patched again... I think what we should do is get all the REAL bugs (not annoyances) and fix them and release them on their own in a unoffical patch (for the people who dont want mods)

I agree with that, some people have computers that can just about play COAS and the added features mods give can make the game less play able for them.

Aye, COAS be rich enough in content in Fred Bob's opinion, so he be thinkin' thar be no huge need fer mo' ships, characters, etc., but thar be plenty o' room fer some bug fixes an' "usability" type fixes, fer example, like most o' Jonathan's material! :doff

The only thing I think would still need work would be the wind and the availability of food and ammo in ports.

Sometimes I wonder if the folks who designed this thing really know anything at all about the age of sail in the Carribean.

First of all, the entire area is defined by prevailing winds, not ones that automatically get in your face no matter what direction you travel.

That's why we have places called the windward and leeward islands.

http://www.caribbeanmag.com/search/articles/Caribbean/Lesser_antilles_vs_greater_antilles_windward_vs_leeward.html

In addition, to suggest that any port on the map would lack food and ammo is completely silly and uninformed. Ports are ports for a reason. :rolleyes:

Aye, COAS be rich enough in content in Fred Bob's opinion, so he be thinkin' thar be no huge need fer mo' ships, characters, etc., but thar be plenty o' room fer some bug fixes an' "usability" type fixes, fer example, like most o' Jonathan's material! :doff
Arr, even if I dont want to contradict a fellow matey I have to. Coas might be rich in features but when youre used to the great community work on the buildmod you have to miss at least a few features! Thats why I would say YAY to a community patched version and buildmod II! Arr! :sail

Going back to what Luke said... I suggested to release a patch with JUST fixes.

Some people dont play mods but get annoyed when they have a game with a bug (a REAL bug NOT annoyances)... this is exactly what a Patch is... Im all for mods (being a storyline/coder for the Build Mod), but it isnt for everybody.

The wind in your face is an annoyances as is the lack of food in port. The thing is that the Caribbean is a whole bunch of islands so there isnt a greater store of food like a larger place (like South America) and most of the food would come from the island (and the locals do need to eat :yes)

The thing is that the Caribbean is a whole bunch of islands so there isnt a greater store of food like a larger place (like South America) and most of the food would come from the island (and the locals do need to eat :yes)

Not exactly. :)

First of all, if there were such a shortage of food then there would not have been so many plantations producing luxury items like sugar, tobacco and coffee. One does not produce luxury items if basic needs aren't met. A starving crew would have less interest in these items than food.

Secondly, the game doesn't allow foraging, making the unavailability of food unrealistic in a major way. The biggest issue with food was spoilage, not availability; thus the famous (or infamous depending on point of view) biscuit known as "hard tack". These hard biscuits were often soaked and boiled in rum and brown sugar making a porridge like meal.

Further, pirates fished for anything from dolphins to albacore tuna. They also made great use of sea turtles as they were easy to catch. Turtles could be kept alive in the ships hold until needed and thier eggs were considered a delicacy. There was also a great amount of indigenous fruits available.

Also, many islands that were conquests had a large amount of thier population killed. This allowed the native cattle herds in the wild to grow exponentially. It was not unusual for a ship to dispatch crew to secure free beef as food from such a place.

That's not to say that there weren't food problems; there were (again; more due to spoilage than availability). In 1670, Henry Morgan and crew were forced to eat thier leather satchels, for example. :)

Nonetheless, lack of food on the AOP2 level would never have allowed the region to become a mecca of luxury items traded for manufactured goods from Europe.

You are correct that a lot of this food did not come from shops, however indigenous fuits and vegatables most certainly did. Also, without the ability to fish or forage in game, the availability of food in shops would be representative of the amount available by other means.

Another strange and unrealistic thing; in game we can carry fruits as commodities but not food.

Wine too. :)

I thought you folks might get a kick out of this;

How to make and eat hard tack.

That's very basic hard tack just like our pirate friends used. However, most hard tack in those days was sun dried. You may use your oven. :)

In addition, you can adjust the recipe a bit for modern times just in case you are a survivalist. Most of the time these adjustments will be the inclusion of things unavailable to pirates, such as baking powder. A google search will return many results.

Keep hard tack dry and it will last for years.

Wow, we need a mod that allows you to use hardtacks as replacement for grapeshots... =)

You said forever? Hardtack from 1862: link

Back