• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pennants, Shovels and axes

Short Jack Gold

Very ancient mariner
Storm Modeller
O.K. so maybe I'm getting picky here, as I DO like the pennants, (a lot) BUT isn't the one on the British ships the one for prayer service in progress?
The design is one of historic note in that it is the St. George's cross from the British commissioning pennant combined with the Dutch commissioning pennant. It originated from a truce with the Dutch not to fire on each others vessels when this pennant was displayed during religious services of either.

And why are the naval officers wandering about armed with shovels and axes?

(I'm doing Hornblower - so I'm biased I know.) :shrug

Not bugs - but weird effects.

With the period mod we are going to work on making people have the right type of weapon (ie farmers and lower citizens with shovels) and soldiers using pretty much the same blade all the time ;)

I do agree that it is very weird to see a soldier with a shovel trying to bash your head in :shrug

You'd have to ask Thomas about the reasoning behind the current British pennants.
I also find it a bit oddish that the Dutch flag is incorporated in there. :wacko:

As for the soldiers with shovels and axes I SOOOOO agree.
See the discussion in the Periods Weapons thread:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//period-weapons-t12575.html/page__pid__359328__st__120&#entry359328

Was the only pennant I could find, they were also depicted on 17th century paintings. I can make another one if you want. Just point me to the right one.

Was the only pennant I could find, they were also depicted on 17th century paintings. I can make another one if you want. Just point me to the right one.
Not that much of an issue - historically they were probably down graded from a "specific" use, to general use anyway as the niceties of the rules of war, were, as time progressed, gradually ignored anyway.
Stay with what you have.

It's the shovels that really bother me - and it seems I'm in the wrong post for that. (Thanks Pieter!)

When I return, maybe I'll try to do something about those shovels and such.
Apparently it's friggin' darn hard to prevent weapons we don't want to appear from appearing though.
Set a weapon to rare = 0.0 and what does it do? It STILL SHOWS UP!

Back