• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Pirate Flag

Shoggy

Landlubber
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me, what are the benefits of using the pirate flag ?
I read somewhere else, that you may wont be able to sail specific cities anymore, if you use it too much.

Welcome aboard @Shoggy!!! :cheers

I believe that pirates don't chase you on the world map, but every other nation does.
For the same reason you won't be able to land on ports other than the pirate one, since the fort and other ships close to the port will attack you.

If you have privateer licence you have to change to pirate colors when attacking ships/forts friendly to France, if you don't, you will lose your licence.

Your relation with that nation will get worse.

Now about reputation drop i believe that it drop if you attack merchant ships but i am not sure.

Now about reputation drop i believe that it drop if you attack merchant ships but i am not sure.

Not sure about TEHO, but in CT your reputation in the merchant ship's nation will drop significantly (eventually declaring you a criminal/enemy), as well as your reputation among the traders (the trading companies) -- which makes trading more difficult (as they will unfairly buy for less from you and sell for more to you), and forces you to take on smuggling (illegal goods trading), hostage ransoming, and slave-trading as professions instead.

After all, no-one 'respectable' wants to buy from a pirate and thief, except if they are into shady business themselves. :aar

So if you want to stay clean, steer clear from attacking merchant convoys. That's the golden rule out on the waters. :bonaparte

Pirate ships are (heavily) weapons-equipped, military ships, though -- and hated by most nations in the game -- so attacking them will only get you in trouble with the pirate 'nation' and their current allies (for me, this somehow always seems to be the French, I don't know why). As a buccaneer serving your country (if that's the profession you've chosen), it's expected that you will clear the waters from enemy ships and pirates (unless your country happens to have a peace treaty with pirates).

Edit:

So the only practical benefits to using a pirate flag (when your home is not the pirate 'nation') are if you are doing shady business and/or trying to appear less noticeable to pirates (doesn't always work), or if you are trying to sneak into a pirate-allied enemy port.

Last edited:
Back