• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Playing as a Pirate

I'd say that most things involving crew discipline ought to factor in your officers. That includes GetRaiseMoraleCost.
Done for the next update. :doff

Unless you've specifically changed it, the ability to command a fleet also takes the relevant officers' Leadership into account and I'd rather like that to continue to be the case - it's possibly the single biggest reason for me to hire a competent first officer or boatswain. Unless your intent is to reduce the importance of officers and require the player character to do more for himself, let the officers continue to contribute there.
I just tested this, but just as I feared: it causes the "infinite loop CTD".
Problem is that you get into a situation where CalcShipSkill ends up calling itself again. :modding

How hard IS it to get your personal Leadership skill up to 5?

Having the player skill checked there means that you'll be "handicapped" through this feature for longer during the game.
That may not be a bad thing if you like a more spread out game, but indeed I'm not particularly happy about it either.
Anyway, I have made a Feature Request for sorting this out properly some time.

But I'd agree that the check on how many crew stay with you after dividing plunder should be based on your skills alone - the crew have gone off to the tavern or wherever they go, they're no longer under the influence of your officers, so the only thing bringing them back is what they think of you as captain.
I'll keep that then. :cheers

As for double rum rations, I knew it already existed and was trying to come up with ways to do exactly what you want, which is make it more interesting and useful so people may actually do it. ;) At the moment there are two ways to raise morale in an emergency - give the crew extra money or give them double rum. Only one of these carries the risk of drunken disorder, so that's probably not the one anyone will use unless they have much rum and not much money. So, as I say, the proper time to issue double rum is as a reward for success, therefore raise crew morale sharply and give the player a few points of Leadership for doing that. But keep the crew on double rum for too long, or give them double rum because morale is slipping and you want to raise it, and that's when the drunken brawls will start...
I smell another feature request.... :cheeky

Fame plus reputation could factor into the enemy's chance of surrendering early in boarding. If you're Hero then you're likely to treat prisoners well; if you're Horror of the High Seas then you're liable to slaughter the lot if they annoy you; none of which matters if the enemy captain has never heard of you. Fame in a hostile port increases your chances of being recognised and the shopkeepers refusing to deal with you; perhaps allow fame to influence your prices in a friendly port as the shopkeepers want to do business with you, then they get to put "Captain Famous buys his stuff here" on their windows as an advertisement.
All good ideas. Maybe we can factor that in when we get to my intended Reputation Rewrite some time.
Third feature request!

Changes to officer skill contribution as recommended by @Grey Roger are now included in here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | Page 6 | PiratesAhoy!

Apart from the calculation for your personal share of the loot and the number of crew who stay with you after dividing,
there is NO difference between Salary and Divide the Plunder mode.

So I'll call this one "Included in Build" again. The extra suggestions from here have been made into their own Feature Requests.

The following feature has now been completed: Medium Priority - Different Shipyard Sale Prices for Naval Officers/Privateers | PiratesAhoy!
It is available from this update: Mod Release - Build 14 Beta 4 Internal WIP For Testing | PiratesAhoy!

As per this version, you can still sell any pirated ships at any shipyard.
It will be for 20% of the maximum sale price if you did NOT join the pirates, but for 80%(!) of the sale price if you DO join them.
So for the first time ever, playing as a pirate should now actually be something that can be PROFITABLE!

You get 50% of the maximum sale price if you're a Privateer, but then you have to pay 50% commission again on on cargo.
That is of course also profitable, but substantially less than full-out piracy.

Same as with the merchant style. For now this is fine and we Need to wait for more Feedback. Closing this now so it wont clutter this subforum

Back