• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Playing with house rules

JohnHamm

Landlubber
Storm Modder
In a lot of games things are not as realistic as they could be (should be) so sometimes to make up for it I have house rules that I use to pick up the slack.....

For instance Ship repairs in CoAS they just are not long enough considering that my ship usually shouldn't be floating... so for every hundred (pieces of eight) I have to spend on repairs I spend 1 day in port.... yes this can add up to weeks of resting but, it's how it was ships were not repaired in a day.

So what are some of your house rules?

Well, I never repair a ship in shipyard (unless I lose a mast), I try to avoid using the "sail to" option to get to the other side of the island (meeting with smugglers, etc.)...also, slaves I find on captured ships are almost instantly enlisted (I like liberating slaves :shrug ), while enemy crews that surrender (and they have done quite considerable damage to my ship - also, that's only when they attack me) end up being sold to smugglers/traders.

Oh, and the most messed up rule I came up is for captured captains: 1. They are liberated(their ship only plundered)/released if I sunk their ship and picked them up, or if I attacked them and they surrendered without any fighting (while attempt to board them); 2. They are taken as prisoners and sold to governors (if I attacked a convoy, and captain surrendered after a fight on the deck, or if they attacked me and cut off a mast for example - usually, I take pirate captains as expendable fighter officers), 3. They walk the plank if they attacked me and than surrendered after boarding - fight on deck (I really hate taking unnecessary casulties) :sail

If plaaying as pirates which i often do or i will fly the jolly roger if playing as another nation, i use the following rules.

1. I never purchase a ship, i play with realistic ship purchase on which removes all the big ships and often you only see ships like Cutter, Lugger, Schooner etc for sale in the shipyard but i will never buy a ship.

2. I never purchase cannons, i will upgrade the ship calibure at Bermuda but i will not buy any cannons no matter how much i have sitting in my pockets.

3. I never sell ship, its far too easy to make money as it is, selling ships is one such way that makes you a millionaire fast. This is why i don't do it and the other reason, i can't find any infpormation on pirates ever selloing ships they have captured.

4. I never sell cannons, till we can find the sell multiplier this is a big problem where alot of money can be made (depending on the calibure of course) but its a way i don't like to make money. Just like the ships i can't find any kind of reference to pirates stripping the ships of cannons to sell.

5. I only replace the calibure of guns mounted onboard my ship with ones i find on a ship i have captured, opnce the guns are stripped and onboard my ship i will take what ever else i want and then sink the captured ship.

So thats my house rules when playing, nothing big just extends the fun buy not making money fast and makes it a little more realistic, if there was a way of reducing which shipyards could buy which ship types by the size of the shipyards its self that would have more realistic effecyts on the game. A small shipyard or small town (if the shipyard doesn't have different sizes) making only small ships like Sloop's etc, medium shipyards making ships up to Corvette's and Frigates and large shipyards making Galleon's, the larger Frigates, MOW's etc. While for realistic ship purchase it would be small shipyards = small ships up to Schooner's, medium shipyards = all ships up to Caravel's and large shipyrads = all ships available to buy with realistic ship purchase enabled. Right now though thats not possible since it would require an experienced coder and i have no doubt a hell of alot of work. Reducing the sell price for cannons and ships is a must but as of yet we have not been able to locate anything that adjusts the sell price for them.

If plaaying as pirates which i often do or i will fly the jolly roger if playing as another nation, i use the following rules.

1. I never purchase a ship, i play with realistic ship purchase on which removes all the big ships and often you only see ships like Cutter, Lugger, Schooner etc for sale in the shipyard but i will never buy a ship.

2. I never purchase cannons, i will upgrade the ship calibure at Bermuda but i will not buy any cannons no matter how much i have sitting in my pockets.

3. I never sell ship, its far too easy to make money as it is, selling ships is one such way that makes you a millionaire fast. This is why i don't do it and the other reason, i can't find any infpormation on pirates ever selloing ships they have captured.

4. I never sell cannons, till we can find the sell multiplier this is a big problem where alot of money can be made (depending on the calibure of course) but its a way i don't like to make money. Just like the ships i can't find any kind of reference to pirates stripping the ships of cannons to sell.

5. I only replace the calibure of guns mounted onboard my ship with ones i find on a ship i have captured, opnce the guns are stripped and onboard my ship i will take what ever else i want and then sink the captured ship.

So thats my house rules when playing, nothing big just extends the fun buy not making money fast and makes it a little more realistic, if there was a way of reducing which shipyards could buy which ship types by the size of the shipyards its self that would have more realistic effecyts on the game. A small shipyard or small town (if the shipyard doesn't have different sizes) making only small ships like Sloop's etc, medium shipyards making ships up to Corvette's and Frigates and large shipyards making Galleon's, the larger Frigates, MOW's etc. While for realistic ship purchase it would be small shipyards = small ships up to Schooner's, medium shipyards = all ships up to Caravel's and large shipyrads = all ships available to buy with realistic ship purchase enabled. Right now though thats not possible since it would require an experienced coder and i have no doubt a hell of alot of work. Reducing the sell price for cannons and ships is a must but as of yet we have not been able to locate anything that adjusts the sell price for them.

This is some good stuff I think I will incorporate some of it myself!

My house rules.... I don't have many.

After a successful mission or an arduous journey (which involves storms, attacks, you name it) I buy lots of rum barrels for the crew and double the rum rations (with the brilliant rum management Mod contained in JSCombined Mods). I also give the crew extended leave (by staying in port for a while). Meanwhile my captain enjoys the amenities of town (sleeping, drinking, gambling, bordello visits. Too bad there is no spa ;) ). :cheers

I'm usually generous with poor people and also give donations to church.

I show mercy to surrendering captains and crew, unless I desperately need that captured ship. Then I try to hire the imprisoned captain or release him when making landfall. I use the enslaved crew to replenish my own ranks.

And I completely agree with Luke. Resell prices for ships and cannons are much too high! I made a million piasters within a few in-game months. This is ridiculous :no

in regards to waiting 1 day per 100 gp spent on repairs, how about acutally loading the ship with lumber and having it self repair that way? Id imagine it takes weeks and weeks to repair the ship that way, plus your repair skill goes up! PS you do not need any special carpenter perks, all thats needed is lumber inside the hold, each day a few boards will dissappear and a few points of hull are repaired using it.

Back