• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Please post vid card purchase suggestions here, thanks!

CatalinaThePirate

Unholy Terror,
Storm Modder
OR "Nvidia Quadro 4 XGL 750 (part 2)"

:yes mateys! I wanted to pop back in here and let you all know the outcome of my foray to get a better video card...

Turns out the card was not a 750, but a 700 - with only 64 MB of DDR memory instead of 128 (oh well)...

I installed it and have to say that it DOES make things a bit nicer, `video-wise`, but UNFORTUNATELY the GeForce Quadro4 chipset (basically the GeForce 4) doesn't seem to handle the water in PotC very well... (yes, I have fog table emulation ON)

What I get is the water looks fine, actually nice and sparkly, very clear and `natural-looking` up close, HOWEVER if there is any shadow on the water or if the sun is at the right angle, the darker portions of the water - further away - say like if you were looking at your ship moored in the harbor - the water gets very "pixilated"... It's not smooth anymore...

Very odd. I don't recall my old card (the GeForce 256 w/32MB RAM) having that problem...

I have the updated drivers for this card (dated April 2004!), and have tweaked and tweaked the settings - made *some* headway but not enough to make me thoroughly happy about it...

Seems to me other people here have had trouble with some GeForce 4 cards... I am considering getting a GeForce 3 card instead (which would still be a bump up from the 256)...

Perhaps people could list their video cards and (successful) experiences in this post?

The Gainward GeForce 4, apgx8, 64 DDR Ram, TV out and so and so
Is perfect to POTC, almost NO lag (1024*768, 32 bit color) on my old comp , (p3/`600-256` ddr ram). build 11 installed.

And also with this new comp(AMD Athlon somethings)........ it works extremly fine .....

Its a cheap g.card. and works with ALL games.
:yes

Cat, Fred Bob be knowin' by hearsay dat de Nvidia Quadro 4 XGL 700 be a purty serious werkstation card like fer CAD an' stuff, prolly great fer yer "REAL" werk like yer web design, `3-D` graphics, etc. Not tew say it cain't be good fer gamin', no ma'am! :yes

JSJ, don't have AGP8 on this motherboard. :cheers:

FB - It *is* a nice card, it works well, just doesn't handle the water that well. It's a *slight* disappointment, but a disappointment all the same.

I wanted it because it will handle the 3D design (workstation) - am thinking it would be really nice to have two monitors set up, of which this card DOES have that capability.

I am still up in the air about keeping it... Hope some others will chime in here with some suggestions...

THANKS! :cheeky

quote : JSJ, don't have AGP8 on this motherboard

as I know ..... ALL agp cards can take slower speed .....
eg. a MB can go with 2x/4x , the card will also work in here ....
:cheers

I;ve always stuck wid MSI GF 3 or 4 Titanium cards,I'd be like'n de software bundled wid em,excellent graphics,never had any driver problems, GF3 titanium 500 card also 'as dual moniter capabilities :cheers

Gad no.
Re: pixilated. I think that's how it's _supposed_ to look. Reflections even continue beyond the ship. Bug in the engine I think.

<!--`QuoteBegin-NathanKell`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NathanKell)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Re: pixilated. I think that's how it's _supposed_ to look. Reflections even continue beyond the ship. Bug in the engine I think.[/quote]Really? I don't remember it being this pronounced, with my GeForce 256. That's odd... Thanks, NK! xD:

Well everything else looks pretty darned decent. But now my monitor is starting to "go" (GAWD!). :blah:

FX5200 is the latest MX version, I believe, and thus doesn't have a pixel or vertex shader.

Cat: The difference is that, on your old gf256, you didn't _have_ a pixel or vertex shader. :? They came out on the GF3, and were sped up on gf4 and version 2.0'd on the Radeon 96/97/9800 and `FX56-59`.

I.e. you didn't see reflections or bump maps on the 256.

It's supposed to look like:
pc_scrn02_b.jpg

or

pc_scrn10_b.jpg

Back