• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Please sir can I have some food?

Munty

Powder Monkey
Seem to be ranting an increasing amount here but people will be pleased to hear I've nearly finished the game now and once that happens you won't see me again unless you come looking for me lol

Having had a pop at the poor quality of this game in general today though (see thread named LOYALTY) I've just been faced with what I can only assume must be the most ridiculous error a game designer has ever made...

So picture it, we're living in the age of sail where all trade, privateering and military operations occur solely on the high seas. Then imagine that we're living on an archipelago over 1000 miles across which thrives on import and export. Then imagine that all those hundreds (probably thousands) of vessels had crews of varying sizes who all needed to eat at some point in their voyages and what you end up with is the almost ceaseless food trade in every single port in the archipelago.

So why is it that in this game so many ports simply refuse to buy or sell food at all?Instead they place it in the same category as slaves!

It's just so happened that I left Port Royale today with 30 days worth of food and headed first to Martinique and then on to Trinidad&Tobago. Of course it took significantly less than 30 days but by the time I had about two weeks worth of food left I started checking the shops. The first colony I tried had about 100 food which lasts me about 1 day for an overloaded MoW... The next island I tried had it marked as contraband and so did the next one. Another 2 islands I tried had less than 200 each and one actually had less than 50 food for sale! By now I've worked my way up the whole chain of eastern islands and discovered that Nevis also treats food as Contraband. The dutch hate me so when I get the 'you have 3 days of food' message just heading north to the bermudas I know I'm going to run out.

I spent the last leg of the journey stopping every dutch fleet I encountered and raiding them for food but every time it was barely enough to make up for what the crew had eaten in the time it took us to catch up with the targets! I even came across a military squadron of 2nd rate ships and the most heavily loaded vessel had about 250 food on board!!! I kept heading to bermuda pillaging all the way and ran out of food twice causing crew to die on the way. When I finally arrived they managed to sell me just over 100 units of food... Not even enough to make it out of the damn harbour with 1000 men!!!

So I headed back SW to San Juan hoping Isabella had been spending my money wisely and happened to have stockpiled several thousand tonnes of food in that little cupboard I keep telling her she should really use for something...

Like a typical woman she hadn't listened and the cupboard is now awaiting use as a hull repair in my cargo hold. I told her if you aren't going to use it then I will! Maybe now she'll start wearing some of her other clothes instead of staying in that red dress all the time. She doesn't even take it off when we get down and do the censored thing and then afterwards she goes right on wearing it! Seriously I've had a hole in my topsail for weeks that noones fixed, could use the little blue number (you know the one with the flowers and the lowcut back? Not worn it since Salvatore bit the big one) She's shagging the governor anyway and she thinks I don't know but still, I'm getting sidetracked...

Think I did manage to finally get some food in San Juan but my crew spent 3 days starving to death on the way so my question is WHAT THE HELL MAN!!!!

We need food to keep people alive and rum to keep them from mutinying (is that a word?) EVERY single port should sell both of these vital goods. And while we're on the subject of stupid trade, why oh why are planks illegal in some ports?!? I can see how some governors would frown on the slave trade and not want vast quantities of weapons sold into their cities but what harm can wood and food do people? Stupid bloody designers, if they made tetris they'd probably forget the ability to rotate the blocks. What a joke :s

I guess it`s time for you to download and install CMV 3.1.5-you`ll find that food is no illegal anymore(neither slaves) and stores actually do stock them(a lot).:onya

I don`t even understand people why would play vanilla when the latest mod is out there? :shrugIt`s like having an R32 Gts-Skyline and you`d have the option to swap it for a Nismo 400R for FREE! :woot (ehh if someone do happen to have one and wants to swap it for my custom E36 please PM ASAP xD:)

This is a problem in the vanilla game, when i get back to working on the unoffical mod i will fix those problems. And sorry but i do agree CMV3.1.5 will fix all those problems your having (requires a new game though). Hope you have enough space on your HHD because COAS with CMV3.1.5 installed is about 13GB's. :wp

I do agree CMV3.1.5 will fix all those problems your having (requires a new game though). Hope you have enough space on your HHD because COAS with CMV3.1.5 installed is about 13GB's. :wp

There's your response :p Not starting a new game, just want to finish this one! And that's a massive waste of HDD space to mod a game that I grew sick of playing weeks ago. I just like to complete things before I put them away, especially games like this that I was so looking forward to!

If I'd known about the massive amount of bugs in this game before I started playing I would have definitely modded it but too late now so guess I have to struggle through :s

Like i said in a previous topic, its up to you if you choose to play the game at a later date with mods or uninstall it. I have made my point about you missing out on many fixes and improvements aswell as a more realistic feel to the game. I hope you do give the game a chance with CMV3.1.5 installed. You can actually install CMV3.1.5 and continue with your current game (just backup your savegame before installing CMV3.1.5. Then you can check the mod out when your ready and if you don't like it then at least your mind will be at rest knowing you at least tried it.

A perfect example is POTC, after the release of Sea Dog's peoples expectations was high and when POTC aka Sea Dog's 2 was released people was horrified by what they had installed. People started working on modding the game and even now its still been played and seen as the benchmark for all modders working on COAS.

We know COAS is big in amount of space required but fully worth all that space, and even now work is been done on the next patch. Which will add some switches so you can start the game with some spacif settings on or off such as realistic spyglass (removes all the stats given by all spyglasses) RTBL (makes naval battles more realistic, can be long battles) and more. Some fixes and some new ships, some of which replace old ships in the current mod.

Like i said its up to you, and that i hope you do try it out. You might be blown back by the huge improvements and see COAS in a new light of day as many of us who use CMV3.1.5 do.

Like i said its up to you, and that i hope you do try it out. You might be blown back by the huge improvements and see COAS in a new light of day as many of us who use CMV3.1.5 do.

Well I'm always on the lookout for a good swashbuckler so I may try some of the mods once I finish playing the crap I paid Akella to make me lol

Which one though???

From what I can gather there are a handful of different mods and projects all with serious improvements but what are the big ones? I know of course about the PoTC build but don't know much about it and I know build 14 isn't finished but is it getting close? Is build 14 planned to be the last one for this particular mod because if it is I'd definitely try that as a final version.

What's being modded for CoAS at the moment? Are there plans for a similar build for this release? I don't know too much about the changes (codewise) between the two games, I just know that there don't really seem to be any lol So is it deemed worthwhile carrying out such a largescale build in CoAS too or could the changes made by Akella just be incorporated into the PoTC build?

Also what about the alternate storylines I've read about here? There seem to be quite a few but what are they part of? Do they have the patches included, are they part of the build or are they generally standalones?

I'd love to play a part in some of the great work that's going on here, the dedication by the fanbase is amazing and if we wait for the big-name devs to make us the game we want we'll all be old and grey so better to do it ourselves! I have no skill coding though and limited skill modelling (not even 1% of any of the guys here lol) but I'm up on my history, love the age of sale and could probably come up with a few nice quests and such if any more content is needed :D I won't be waiting for a call but I'm here if anything is needed lol

And any more info on the big mods without me trawling the forum would be mucho appreciated! ;)

LOL, well i don't know much about the POTC build, i don't and have never worked on that game but from what i have heard the coding is similar although you can't just take something from POTC and dump it in COAS and it'll work. It would have been good if it was like that because we would have ported many of the great features POTC has like direct sail, more quests for the characters etc etc.

As for COAS, well there is a list of changes and the mods give you log change files which will let you read whats changed, whats new and any other edits made to COAS. Our work started by combining all the best mods available for COAS, when that was done we started adding more thgings and changing things to work better. The patches included more things but in the later patches they was more about fixes although they still had enough new or improved features to make everyone happy about starting over.

I can't remember exactly how many ships was in the stock game of COAS, i think it was about 27 or close to that, there are now 117 ships, in the stock version you got 12, 16, 24, 32 and 42Ibs cannons and 12, 16, 24 and 32Ibs culverines. The 42Ibs cannons was only availabe for the large MOW's as is the case in the new patch we're working on. However there are more calibures for both culverines and cannons. 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 32, 34, 36, 42, 48 and 92Ibs cannons. 92Ibs cannons are for forts only, 48Ibs cannons are for ships like the quest ship Flying Dutchman. 42Ibs cannons are for MOW's. You can't upgrade the calibure above 36Ibs cannons. all those calibures are the same for culverines apart from they only go up to 32Ibs.

You get 3 characters to choose from in the stock game, in the mod you will get many more (never counted how many) but you will get characters like Jack Sparrow, Davy Jones, Jeremmy Pitt etc. Some characters will have there own spacific starting ship, Sparrow = Blackpearl, Jones = Cursed Dutchman (none quest version) Pitt = Colonial Schooner and other also have there own starting ships.

Ships like the Constitution, Blackpearl, Cursed Dutchman, Victory, Suprise, have been added. We have tried to give some ships more historical names such as Whydah, Queen Anne's Revenge etc.
New tradable goods added, there is just so much thats changed its hard to think of them all. Doesn't help when you have a headache, anyway i strongly recomend you download CMV3.1.5 and just read the log change files or all the text files in the documents folder, then if you like the sound of it try it out.

Back