• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PMT Policy

Suraknar

The Duke
Storm Modder
Hello all,

I think it maybe time to jump in here, in all the best intentions and clarify some things, avoid assumptions and not cause further misunderstandings.

Possibly to Catalina too, since, to say the least, misunderstanding is the way it went.

PMT, is simply a Private Team focussed on Friendship. It was founded by people many of you know, bellonging to the old groop of Sea Dogs Moders, that happened to Mod in LIB's forums for years and became friends in the process, close friends at that.

So, in other words PMT is a Groop of Friends, that like to Mod together, we done that very openly in the Times of Sea Dogs and the proof is in the LIB's forums as many of you know.

However, with the advent of this new and far more larger POTC community, things changed the moment that there was grief, and grief there was, I won't go in to the details here, but it did cause this groop of friends to take a step back and go have their fun privatly, in what is know now as PMT.

Our doors to the community are open, and anyone can join as a guest moder, and with the understanding that guests are there to help in our little project that we chose to make in the Spirit of Sea Dogs, in the process everyone gets to learn something. And ideally, we also get to know eachother in more personal basis, become friends and not just fellow moders, and since PMT is a Groop of friends first and foremost.

Having fun amongst us with moding this game is our primary occupation, we are nor interested to play gods to this community, nor promote our names, nor promote our brotherhoods and sites, or popularity.

I hope that explains some attidudes and behaviors here. It ain't matter how skillful you are it ain't matter what you know or you do not know, it ain't matter who you represent. It matters how you have fun with the Team in there. It is a groop of friends..

It is our foremost goal to have fun as friends and modders, and we're happy to release things to the wider community as soon as we finish them, or to have others join us, but our priority is having fun as friends and modders working on the PMT Expansion. And sadly due to previous "incidents" friendships take time and trust to grow and thus, quite apart from the work involved in the modding itself, it takes a while to release things.

So, the issue that seems to ponder in many people's minds; the perception of us being "secretive". Well, there is secrecy and there is "Secrecy". If we really wanted to be secretive we would not have even announced PMT, and not have progress threads in place either. So are we "secretive" yes and no, it must be understood that out primary goal, asside from having fun amongst friends, is our Expansion project, and not to participate in a huge effort to learn how to mod this game. Our contribution in the knowledge pool of moding this game to the community will come once we finish our project.

So saying that somehow we want to curtlain moding is unfair, saying that we want to discourage people from moding is unfair. The facts are there, those that know us from the past know that we are an open bunch, those that do not know us, well, this is why I am writing this.

Some of us, have spent many hours exploring and discovering how to mod certain aspects of this game, what you call secrecy here, is in reality a right of the people that discovered something to be able to choose when to share their own discovery, and all of us would like to share the discovery, however, we would like to finish our work before we do so.

Besides our work is the result of our discovering efforts, right?

Why are we perceiving this the wrong way? I mean none was discouraged from spending hours and hours discovering how to export ships, you are all invited to do so actually the more the mairier, but those that have spent those nights doing this, do you think that they at least have the priviledge of choosing the moment of releasing that information?

I understand that this is a very difficult issue specially in moding communities, but PMT is a Private Groop with a Project, and we would like to finish that project and then share all the information on how it was made, the proper way, as we have done before and the Sea Dogs Add On Installer, with proper documentation, moding information that is complete, consise and easy to follow, so that others may also have fun.

Even so you may ask:

"Yes but, maybe the game will not be so popular by then", well how is that a problem?

I mean, most of us started moding Sea Dogs 1 and a Half years after it was released, and the moding continued in our little corner for another `2-3` years, even today we continue Moding Sea Dogs, is that game as popular as POTC well, if we count the downloads it would seem yes, but if we look at the community we would say no, since there is not a very active community about it.

But to us, that does not matter, because the game is popular for us, and hence we continue moding it because we like it. And the same perceptions of things is applied to POTC, we like the game and we will mod it because it is fun, we are having fun on the Net with our Online friends.

Nothing more nothing less. And above all, no offense, there should not be offense.

In closing let me say however, as I replied to Skull too as per his email:

Greetings Duke  

A few members at Pirates Ahoy have new model ships for POTC and I am asking you straight up if you would help them with with importing them into the game as they don't know how.  

Best Regards Skull

Yes, we are aware that not everyone is willing to spend hours and hours discovering all that, specially with the knowledge that it was discovered by others.

So yes, we will gladly help anyone that wants to export ships to do so, but please understand the process to do so will be released upon completion of our project, namelly, the PMT Expansion, for many different reasons, one is because we rather concentrate on the work at hand that is Huge and time to properly explain in a consise way in a tutorial is not looselly available, another is because to us friendship is more important than our personal popularity, another is because to us there is no rush, we do intend moding this game for years to come, many and various other reasons.

Thank you

NOTE: Making a Ship does not require any Maya knowledge, Exporting one does. There are only pluggins for Maya and as such certain things need Maya knowledge in order to be properly set up for the pluggins to work, understanding maya is beyond the scope of a Ship Export tutorial, so that side will require personal effort from you, and it will make it easyer and faster for us to put those ships in the water for you in the mean time, and until we can finish up writing the complete (and lengthy) export process.

As for the Export process itself, it definitelly requires quite some Maya understanding, making a tutorial about it will be lengthy because parts of maya itself have to be explained aswell. And then time to remain in the forums or emails or PM's to answer questions, and there will be questions even after a Tutorial is published. Time that is not available and preferably spent in the Expansion project at this time, which is a priority.

Once again no offense meant in any way or towards anyone.

just to make sure that i got this right.... when you are done with the expansion pack, you would help exporting ships??

im not really a genious with computers and dont really have any basis of finding out how to export ships, so all the help i can get now or later would be apreciatet.

i understand that things can get out of hand, and you want to keep your privacy

A few comments, DS...

Problem is dat since de PMT went into "seclusion", both de PA an' LIB moddin' forums be nearly nuttin' but tumbleweeds...

Yer "private group o' friends" seems tew be vacuumin' off many o' de modders dat could be werkin' on items o' possibly more immediate interest tew de wider PotC player community.

Funny, in earlier posts, de PMT be described as an open modding team fer de wider PotC player community. Now ye say it be sumptin' private. De werds "open" an' "private" be contradictory. Ye has purported de PMT tew be all encompassin', but ye has behaved as though it be exclusive entity in practice.

WRT yer discoveries, it appears dat sharin' o' knowledge be a bit o' `one-way` street. Funny, in de early days of PotC moddin', ye yerself were very quick tew interrogate anybody dat seemed tew know a little more about sumptin' den ye did! So, what ye be sayin' is de PMT be free tew glean helpful moddin' information from de open forums such as PA an' LIB, but folks not be allowed tew know what ye know till de Grand Project be done (read not any time soon).

Fer some reason, Fred Bob be startin' tew lose a bit o' his appetite fer dis PMT Expansion Package. Be feelin' kind o' cheated fer some reason, don't know why...

So, Fred Bob be proposin' dat de Build an' de Expansion be managed by two different groups, since de Build originally not be a PMT item any ways, but a Public (not private) effort. Let's bring de Build back tew PA.

Note: Edited a coupla typos...

i dont really care anymore. im just going to mind my own buisness and go play something else for a while.

@Sofus, in between my reply here and my reply to Skull, you got it wrong ;)

So, no, what is said is that the information on how to do it will be published after our work is completed. In the mean time we will help export ships.

We do not have to do it but we do offer to do it. Why not just publish the info, because it is not a simple matter like exporting a sword or a gun, as mentioned above, and time we do not have. By the way. That tutorial is public in the forums and the wiki.

@Fredbob, your comments are welcome, yet what can I say more? If you do not understand what a Groop of friends means...

Problem is dat since de PMT went into "seclusion", both de PA an' LIB moddin' forums be nearly nuttin' but tumbleweeds...

Yup, problem be that if we are to be able to complete that which we want to complete we have to work in peace and quiet.

Yer "private group o' friends" seems tew be vacuumin' off many o' de modders dat could be werkin' on items o' possibly more immediate interest tew de wider PotC player community.

Funny, in earlier posts, de PMT be described as an open modding team fer de wider PotC player community. Now ye say it be sumptin' private. De werds "open" an' "private" be contradictory. Ye has purported de PMT tew be all encompassin', but ye has behaved as though it be exclusive entity in practice.

The PMT is part of the POTC community, wither we want it or not, it was never said that we are here to work for the demands of the wider POTC community however. We have a Project to do, and we contribute to the community as much as possible through that project, some things are not possible imediatly.

Private does not mean "Closed", it simply means that there is no Obligations towards anyone than itself. I am know exactly what I am sayinng.

WRT yer discoveries, it appears dat sharin' o' knowledge be a bit o' `one-way` street. Funny, in de early days of PotC moddin', ye yerself were very quick tew interrogate anybody dat seemed tew know a little more about sumptin' den ye did! So, what ye be sayin' is de PMT be free tew glean helpful moddin' information from de open forums such as PA an' LIB, but no folks not be allowed tew know what ye know till de Grand Project be done (read not any time soon).

That is an empty accusation here Freddy.

But, you are not a modder, so I am not taking offense here, I know that there are many things that you do not understand and interpret differently.

You are fan player of the PoTC community nevertheless and like everyone else. So let me Inform ya here mate.

Lets see the Community Tutorials so far: (taken from the Wiki)

General Tutorials

Making A Character 1 City File by Verruckt
Making A Character 2 Dialog File by Verruckt
Making A Character Portrait by Verruckt
Adding New Items by Surak'nar
Creating New Location by Verruckt (not finished)

Graphical Tutorials
Retexturing Tutorial by Surak'nar
PMT Tutorial – Items Locators by Surak'nar

`Post-Build` Tutorials
PMT Tutorial – Adding Characters To Potc by Scheffnow
Adding Ships with PRS2 by Nathan Kell

`Pre-Build` Tutorials
Customizing The Main Character by Verruckt
Making New Ships by Surak'nar & Von

Other Things
Texture Modders Code List
Modding Tools

Lets see, where is your name in that list? And anyone elses that is accusing me or any other person of PMT to want to hide information from the community.

Seems to me a buch of crying children at times, that want candy and want it now.

Well, I am sorry not to be up to your expectations. Oh wait a sec, I am not working "for" you. Hrm, how interesting.

*takes a deep breath*

Lets get serious here alright? My fun is not to come here and write this thread, if you think that I enjoy this you are greatly mistaken.

This kind of pressure is what destroys Modding communities, and I have seen it before, many people leave because they are not left alone for a moment to have fun on their own.

That is why PMT is private, so that there are no obligations and no explanations and things like:

Fer some reason, Fred Bob be startin' tew lose a bit o' his appetite fer dis PMT Expansion Package. Be feelin' kind o' cheated fer some reason, don't know why...

Well, that is your prerogative, you are not obligated to like what we do nor play what we do, we are doing this because we are having fun making it, and fun amongst ourselves as friends.

The Problem with fan Communities is that the player part often thinks that the moder part is there to service them, and cator every little demand. Well, no I am sorry.

So, Fred Bob be proposin' dat de Build an' de Expansion be managed by two different groups, since de Build originally not be a PMT item any ways, but a Public (not private) effort. Let's bring de Build back tew PA.

Excelent! We finish on a Good note here :b:

It is what the PMT was preparing to do anyways, the Build is a fine Community Project (according to Nathan Kell it was never a PA project but a Community Project), but it requires Huge amounts of time and effort to maintain. And with PMT gearing to full speed on the Expansion that Build can't be maintained by us anymore.

And we figure it would be a shame to just stop the Build there, so there should be an official announcement made about this Issue very soon in the following days.

(And I say "should" because it is not decided yet and I do not take the decisions either, it is a Team Decision, according to Nathan Kell it was never a PA project but a Community Project, PA is not the community, PA is part of it).

Hope this Issue will not be blown out of proportion like sadly many things are usually, and oddly in these forums. It is your choice of cource, to acnowledge the facts and the truth or deny the whole things and write another accusativelly empty reply, defending the richteousness of this or that.

None can force anyone else do do anything, let that be very clear in everyone's minds. Everyone will in the end do what they want, this is all about fun. Serves no reason antagonizing over anything.

If people choose to share they will share , if people choose not to share they won't share.

Same applies to you and me and everyone else. No obligations whatsoever, there can only be agreements.

And I have not agreed to carry the wider POTC community on my shoulders.

It is all for fun and it is all for a Game!

Do you understand that comming here replying to all of this is not fun? maybe it is for you and all the others supporting you, but it is not for me.

And if after these two clearly explicative posts in this thread you do not understand stiil, and want to misinterpret and turn meaning towards another way.

So be it...

Thank you

The one solid good thing to come out of all of this is that YES, the PMT will help bring a new ship into the game NOW, meaning before the expansion is released.

But this "i believe you speak for many of us on this issue" business is exactly why the free association of modders prefers not to operate in the limelight.

Let me tell you how you treat modders. You encourage them, you cheer them on, and you give them room to work. And they WILL work, as long as it's fun for them. The moment it's not fun for them, they'll stop, and if you thought about it for about 15 seconds you'd realize that.

The more modders are in the limelight, the more some folks will give vent to stuff that will suck the fun right out of a project.

So, look folks. Throw 'em some encouragement and leave 'em alone! You don't know how close you are to LOSING this project. It happens way more often in the gaming world than projects getting completed.

And by the way, it was impressive how many folks were 'let in', every time I turned around a new name showed up. Hardly an exclusive club! But the "speak for many of us" bit is sucking the oxygen right out of the air! You don't know how close...

see my changed opinion al ive just given up and dont really care very much anymore. ive decided its just a game and not worth arguing about so. im just very apthetic as to whetehr it comes out or not.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The one solid good thing to come out of all of this is that YES, the PMT will help bring a new ship into the game NOW, meaning before the expansion is released....[/quote]Dat be generous indeed.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->But this "i believe you speak for many of us on this issue" business is exactly why the free association of modders prefers not to operate in the limelight.....[/quote]Dat was Fred Bob speakin' Fred Bob's feelings on de matter, not speakin' fer nobody else.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Let me tell you how you treat modders.  You encourage them, you cheer them on, and you give them room to work.  And they WILL work, as long as it's fun for them.  The moment it's not fun for them, they'll stop, and if you thought about it for about 15 seconds you'd realize that.....[/quote]True indeed.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The more modders are in the limelight, the more some folks will give vent to stuff that will suck the fun right out of a project.....[/quote]Probably so.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So, look folks.  Throw 'em some encouragement and leave 'em alone!  You don't know how close you are to LOSING this project.  It happens way more often in the gaming world than projects getting completed.....[/quote]Okay.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Sailor_Al`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sailor_Al)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->And by the way, it was impressive how many folks were 'let in', every time I turned around a new name showed up.  Hardly an exclusive club!  But the "speak for many of us" bit is sucking the oxygen right out of the air!  You don't know how close...[/quote]Didn't realize dat. Hadn't been perceived by Fred Bob dat way. Again, was only Fred Bob speakin' Fred Bob's feelings on de matter, not speakin' fer nobody else.

Oh, shoot, Fred Bob! You weren't the one I was quoting! :cheers:

Look, an illustration can be had over at the OFP.Info website. That's the Operation Flashpoint news site where mods are discussed. There was a function where one could post their response to a news story about a new mod for Operation Flashpoint (OFP).

They had to close off that function, though, because of some of the comments people posted. Most, I think, were positive. But some folks posted some things that drove some modders right away. Things like "your textures look like crap". Sure, I think those comments shouldn't have had that effect. But modders tend to thrive on positive feedback to their work, and are sensitive to negative comments. So now folks at OFP.Info can't post comments of any kind.

I really didn't mean to single you out at all. You weren't who I was quoting.

And I don't mean to suggest how the PMT or any modders should interract with the rest of POTC's gamers. What I do mean say is that we can wait for tidbits of news and ask politely and patiently for things, like help and news. But if the PMT or other modders choose how to interact with others, that's their choice to make. But whatever we say, we should do it in a positive way.

[I should probably say that I'm a guest in that PMT, so I might ought to use 'we', maybe.]

Let me ask one thing here.
If we're going to talk--not fight, talk--about policy, fine. But let's not bring people into it.
This is I hope not an admonition but a warning. :cheers

Basically, there are two main things here.
One, is sharing information on how to do things, and when.
Two, is how public the doing things with that information is with each modder.

Let me address the second first.

Basically, and this is the cold truth of the matter, some people like working publically, and some don't.
Some modders, the only way they _can_ work is in private, away from the hubub as it were, and then present a finished product.

And in my experience, that finished mod is usually pretty darn good.

So it becomes a question of, will you accept that all modders--all _people_--are different, accept that some modders not only _prefer_ to work privately but _must_, to be able to do what they do, as otherwise they'll give up--in exchange for having the privilege of playing with their work when they're done?

Because the alternative is bad both from a moral _and_ selfish point of view; the former because it's not right to force someone to work the way you want them to work, or force someone to give up modding if they can't mod in the way that works for them; and the latter because if you _do_ force the issue, you lose having the mod.

This is not a discussion about "wouldn't it be great if". This is about, "this is the way it is."

Now let me address the first issue.

The first thing to be very clear about, is that most of this is about exporting ships. Because that's the current case.
But we must remember that not all cases will be alike!

Duke Surak'nar pointed out the locators tutorial he posted here:
http://www.thelib.com/yabbse/index.php?boa...;start=msg20386

This is the basic prerequisite for exporting _any_ geometry to POTC, including ships.
And he's explained how to do it.

Or Scheffnow's tutorial on how to add characters to POTC. Or anything else in the wiki, or threads here or on the LIB.

That's the same reason why, when people ask me, how do you make a quest? I say, basically, that's there's no simple way. I can help if you get stuck, point you where to get started, but I can't teach you everything about quests or walk you through it. They're just too complex.

But PMT is going to do _precisely that_ when we have time, i.e. after the expansion's done.
We're going to write those `twenty-page` tutorials.

The stuff that's quick and easy to explain, we _do_ explain. When I get a chance I'm posting (well, `wiki-ing`) a rundown of what every quest win condition checks.

And in the meantime, we help as much as time and efforts permit. Let me point this out again: Duke Surak'nar has offered to export ships.

And this should tell you something about how long the tutorial will be, that _that_ is a quicker alternative. :cheers

And let me make one final point clear.
We don't all have the time required to actually live real life _and_ mod _and_ write tutorials _and_ read and post at thriving sites.

I'm a bit different because I'm between highschool and college at the time, so my time is (mostly) my own.

But consider modders who are busy _working for a living_, or going to college, or _trying to raise a family_ (in combination with the previous!). It's amazing they put in the time they do.

And, one other thing.

People may not realize it, but asking "when will it be done?" every day or so is at least as wearing as saying "this texture stinks."

The latter at least can be put constructively; "I think the texture would be better like so..."
The former...well, you could say, "I look forward to this."
But hammering away, is like saying "You're not working fast enough on this! What are you wasting your time on!? Family? Mod for me!"

So if you want to see something soon, say that, don't say "why is this taking so long?"

Or even better: "How can I help?" :cheers

And one last thing.

Yes, there does _seem_ to be a contradiction, using open and private at the same time.

But there's not. PMT is fair helpings of each.
It's an open _team_, but one that does some of its work privately.

i must admit that i havent given me self the time to read all this, but i think that i figured out that help will be available at some point and that is enough knowledge for me to keep going on with my projects.... thx mates :cheers

correct me if im wrong

Just to make a statement :

If some of you guys think texture stinks or PMT works to slowly ........
why the f**k do u use the Build ?

many PMT HAS DAYJOBS , Familie ..... and so on .....
so give 'em the time they need to deal with all of it .....

to PMT : keep up this great work ....... :cheers:

I confess I don't know what started this thread, but there are clearly some deep feelings. This forum has rally been my intorduction to modding. Mind you, using mods, not doing them. I have been here since the game first came our.

I was awed by the skill of the people who were systmatically fixing the very meiocre original game. And completely ovewhelmed by their genosity. Early on, when NK posted the first build and we had to start a new game I posted a lament aobut giving up my rank, my manowar and my gold. He immedialtely posted a respone offering to write something for me and he did. (JasonMega Start.

That set the tone for me. With each build, the game more complex more richly textrured, more interesting and much more fun. And the are doing it for nothing. They are giving it to us for free. And they are always willing too answer a question or give advice. If they don't get to back us instantly consider that in addition to having lives, jobs and modding they might be on the other side of the world and sleeping when we are posting.

Now I am as eager for the expansion pack as anyone. Buit like any good gift I know it will be worth the wait.

That is what the PMT is doing. They are giving us gifts, fabulous gifts. What we should be doing is thanking them, profusely.

Modders eveywhere, I hope I am speaking for more than myself but I won't claim to. I salute you and I thank for what you contribute to the community.

:gday

:cheers:

Jason

Back