• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Porting New Horizons to Maelstrom Engine

Mirsaneli

Privateer
Storm Modder
In this thread, I will be posting progress about porting New Horizons mod to Maelstrom Engine 2.8.4. So far it's going pretty well, but to make it fully playable, I will need help from more experienced programmers. With Jeffrey's help (who developed Maelstrom Engine), we managed to run latest New Horizons mod with advanced combat mechanics and improved graphics and stability. Thus, we added blood just like in COAS. The mod is now in state where it needs a lot of polishing, since Malestrom and Storm engine 2.0 have differences. I appreciate any help.

Anyone willing to participate, send me a PM.

Visit our Discord channel for direct live chat and bug reports:
Join the Buccaneers Reef Discord Server!

CURRENT PROGRESS
Running on build version 15 [9th May 2022]

GITHUB REPOSITORY [Available for anyone willing to participate]
https://github.com/amunozj/new_horizons_maelstrom

Working:
Almost everything

DOWNLOAD
[last updated: 09.05.2022]
New Horizons by ChezJfrey

Maelstrom Engine 2.8.4 link:

Gentlemen of Fortune: Maelstrom by ChezJfrey

Salt & Wind reshade presets download link (Made by @Strannik):
Download - MEGA

BY8xnxu.jpg

Mod developers:
@ChezJfrey
@mitrokosta
@Pillat
@danitim1

@The Nameless Pirate
@Strannik
@Mirsaneli
@Pieter Boelen

Last edited:
Trying to port the weather system. For some reason I cannot achieve large sea waves in storms :/
Also need to figure out how to make islands covered with fog in storm conditions.

Only one note.
Why does the "Die bandito" play so much?
It seems to me like it's tied with the characters getting hit or something like that.

Only one note.
Why does the "Die bandito" play so much?
It seems to me like it's tied with the characters getting hit or something like that.

I don't know yet, but I will have to figure it out. This game is now half POTC, half COAS. A lot of things need to be adopted. For instance, I had to rearrange all icons in battleinterface.c and landinterface.c because they were all up, colliding with other NPC player icons. This is the best I could do, because I don't know how to make states horizontal, since it reads the .tga.tx file badly, maybe because it uses COAS scripts... So the health and energy indicators are vertical, even though energy means nothing in NH because it didn't exist in the original POTC game. But that needs fixing along the way. For now, it is important that I managed to remove all the errors in the log file and I'm not getting them anymore. I guess if I start to play the quests, they will appear, but this is a big step into something. With Maelstrom, the scenes load so much faster than with 2.0 engine, and the graphics look way much better. I also need to fix the Weather system, because it acts differently with Maelstrom. I cannot achieve big waves in Storms yet, but I will fix it I guess...

rKNjIMX.png

Maybe we can make energy mean something in PotC.

And for textures, there are two options:
1. Change the code
2. Change the textures

From my side, I have no problem with New Horizons becoming closer to CoAS.
From my side, I wouldn't even mind a full merge between the games at all.
If that ever happens to become feasible.

Maybe we can make energy mean something in PotC.

And for textures, there are two options:
1. Change the code
2. Change the textures

From my side, I have no problem with New Horizons becoming closer to CoAS.
From my side, I wouldn't even mind a full merge between the games at all.
If that ever happens to become feasible.

Well, if anyone's willing to do it, I would appreciate the help. We just need to compare the code from COAS which enables energy to main character and NPC characters as well.

Mirsaneli, would you explain what are differences between Maelstrom engine and open source Storm engine from this thread?

That is something I cannot explain because you have to treat me as a novice coder. The difference that I can tell is that Maelstrom is a finished project (which is of course being updated constantly), while open source storm engine is something that is being developed by @Hammie and they seem to be making very good progress. They are porting COAS to Storm engine 2.9 (the same one that is being used for newest version of Sea Dogs: To Each His Own. What I can tell is that Maelstrom has been adapted so that it can support all storm engine based games, including New Horizons. For that to happen, Jeffrey had to recompile the whole engine and make certain interventions which I don't understand really much because I don't know how all that works. But maybe he @ChezJfrey can explain it better. :)

After a few hours work, now we have sea interface fixed as well. This is the closest I could get to original NH. :)

rGu3vND.png
That looks pretty close indeed!

Do I see correctly the ship interface portrait is for a different one?
Guess the texture structure is quite different.
But that should be something that can be addressed on the TX side.

Can you switch the compass between the small and the big one too?

That looks pretty close indeed!

Do I see correctly the ship interface portrait is for a different one?
Guess the texture structure is quite different.
But that should be something that can be addressed on the TX side.

Can you switch the compass between the small and the big one too?

Yes, they are from COAS. That's because NH portraits are 8x4 while COAS ones are 8x5. I will have to figure that out as well. About compass, I haven't tested it yet.

Back