• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Portuguese and Dutch Soldiers

I know that Oberst is used in the army and airforce (off topic question, do you still refer to them as the whermact or heer for the army and the luftwaffe for the airforce? Is the Navy still the Kriegsmarine too?)

I'm not certain about the navy. I know that an Army Oberst is equivalent to a colonel, and that an army colonel is the equivalent of a naval captain, but I think the word oberst is closer to the English Commander than Colonel. I'm not certain though. Hauptmann is Captain, as in the air force and army. Rittmeister is squad leader I think. Help me out with the translations.

Judging on that fellas white uniform, he's probably army. Navies tended to all use blue... perhaps its the water. So, if that's the case the oberst- colonel translation would make sense.

Those three guys in the gray coats definetly look like naval officers since they don't have epauletts. Any idea when this takes place during the Napoleonic Wars? Epaulettes were rather late additions to Naval uniforms. Land forces got them much earlier though. I would think its a Captain on the left, a Lieutenant in the middle, and some time of warrant officer on the right, probably a Bosun or a Sailing Master.

Also, they are definitely in undress uniforms.

Thanks this actually helps quite a bit. Using this as a base I can either make undress uniforms, or looking at the differences between the Royal Navy dress and undress I can "imagine" what they might have looked like and create "representations" of the Dutch Navy.

Thanks again. These photos are great. I share your thought on redoing the governors.

On a separate note, when you look at paintings of the period you will see guys wearing a variety of different hats, and some of them look quite silly. When you see them on film or tv however, it looks like the costumer had the desire to make them look really really silly and enlarges all the hats. Look at the two Frenchies sitting behind the oberst on horses. Their hats are huge. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World seems to have the proper sized hats. The Bounty, with Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson is awful though. Hopkins' cocked hat is huge.

My recollection from various reading and from playing Red Baron I on the German side is:
(something)
Leutnant
Oberleutnant
Hauptmann (Rittmeister in cavalry; ISTR derived from ritter: knight?)
Oberstleutnant
Oberst.
With the equivalency of 2LT, 1LT, CAPT, LTCOL, COL.

I believe currently it is
Bundeswehr (Federal Armed Forces) with Heer, Luftwaffe, and Deutschemarine (Deutschen Marine?). But a quick google will say.

navy is called here only "Marine". we left the "Kriegs-" due to the WWII. the rank of a "Rittmeister" isnt there anymore because the roots of the word "ritt" are form the german word for "to ride". dont really know, but i think nathan is right. i also thought "Rittmeister" was only used as `cavalry-rank`.

dont know what the french officer is. normally "oberst" cant be a `navy-officer` because "oberst" is ( dont know how it was during the napoleonic wars) is an rank for the airforce (luftwaffe) or the army (Heer). the equal rank for the navy should be "Kapitän zur See".
btw: shame on me that i cant remember because i was in the navy (Marine) as "Seekadett" (should be a warrant officer ) on the german ship "SSS Gorch Fock".

@JMV:
the unifoms are more something like darkgreen. and i guess, that the one on the right side is a Bosun. in an other scene u can see that he has same signs like a sergant of the `us-army`.

They are dark green? Well, I'm color blind, so there you go.

Seekadett sounds a lot like Sea Cadet... were you like a midshipman or definitely a warrant officer?

So he is a bosun, and you say he has three chevrons on his sleaves? Do they point up or down? Do you remember what color the chevrons are?

I seem to remember that list too Nathan, could the ranks before Leutnant be: Unteroffizier (like a corporal I think), feldwebel (sergeant) and Oberfeldwebel (Master Sergeant)? Given your refresher I think that is right.

it was more a warrant officer. the rank before becoming an officer. but i had to quit due to a injury from my duty on the ship.

there were 3 red chevrons (point up)

Oh, son of a gun, I just remembered. Somewhere online I find a naval rank equivalency chart, but I lost the URL. I used it for setting the stuff in nations_init.c
So, you find that and it should tell you what you need to know.

Caporegime,

I think you are thinking of the Napoleonic Wars from a Second World War viewpoint, where once Hitler conquered something, it was pretty much his (apart from the resistance) until the Allies liberated the area.

First of all, it all began as the War Against the French Revolution with many of the European Monarchies fighting the new French Republic. With time, Napoleon secured himself as Emperor of France, changing from Republic to Empire; or more realistically, tyranny. The War of the French Revolution started in `1792-93` and lasted until 1802 in the Peace of Amiens. In 1803, war again erupted. This war, or collection of wars, we refer to as the Napoleonic Wars. In their day, they referred to them as Coalitions against France.

<a href="http://www.napoleonguide.com/coalitions.htm" target="_blank">http://www.napoleonguide.com/coalitions.htm</a> This link is a quick look at the list of nations against France during the various years.

To answer your question about Holland, Spain, and Portugal... it depends on what coalition you are talking about. Holland was captured in 1795 or 97, I can't remember. In 1797 the Spanish joined with Napoleon.

For a quick glance at the battles and campaigns of the different coalitions this will help:

<a href="http://www.napoleonguide.com/campind.htm" target="_blank">http://www.napoleonguide.com/campind.htm</a>

The best source for a comprehnsive look at the campaigns is a book called "The Campaigns of Napoleon" by David Chandler. It runs about $85 dollars US, but you can get it for $57.80 on Amazon.com (not to happy to learn that).

Back