• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

POTC New Horizons: Luck Showing 3 - 1?

Swwatter

Landlubber
Hi all,

I've tried searching around but I could not find an answer. In my POTC New Horizons campaign, my character has a luck of 3 - 1 and the 1 is highlighted red.

Can anyone explain to me what that means?

And can anyone explain why there's 2 numbers?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

I've tried searching around but I could not find an answer. In my POTC New Horizons campaign, my character has a luck of 3 - 1 and the 1 is highlighted red.

Can anyone explain to me what that means?

And can anyone explain why there's 2 numbers?

Thank you in advance.
The number 3 is your current leveled character luck, and the number 1 is the luck that is gained through items. There are items in the game that give (+) to skills (for example, a cross gives +1 to luck). You apparently picked up an item that gives (-) to skills (this is either the book Cooking With Albatross or Dead Albatross).
You can safely get rid of the book by selling it or throwing it away, but the albatross can only be exchanged at the pharmacist in Bridgetown for leeches that heal. This way you will get rid of the minus.

The book text is actually supposed to contain a hint on how to get rid of the albatross.

The book text is actually supposed to contain a hint on how to get rid of the albatross.
And as it's a book on how to cook an albatross, if you have the book and an albatross then you can cook the albatross. The dead bird will be exchanged for food during the routine daily checks at sea.

There are a few other items which can adjust your "Luck" skill up or down, especially if you're allowing skill bonuses from gems and Indian trinkets.

And as it's a book on how to cook an albatross, if you have the book and an albatross then you can cook the albatross. The dead bird will be exchanged for food during the routine daily checks at sea.
Ah, that was a new Roger TM feature, eh?
I forgot about that one.
Should maybe only be if you have the "Cooking" ability...? :rofl

Ah, that was a new Roger TM feature, eh?
I forgot about that one.
Should maybe only be if you have the "Cooking" ability...? :rofl
Good point. If you follow the directions in the book, you should be able to get rid of the albatross without needing the ability, but the albatross goes overboard and so does everything else involved in the "cooking" process. xD So you should be able to "cook" the albatross to get rid of it just by having the book. Having the "Cooking Lessons" ability allows you or your cook to disregard the "recipe" and get some usable food out of the albatross.

Update: I've coded this into "DailyCrewUpdate.c". Then I got lucky and in one boarding session found both the cookbook and an albatross, giving me the perfect opportunity to test it. After saving game, I turned my surgeon into something else, meaning the "Cooking Lessons" ability no longer applied. The next day, the albatross had disappeared but I didn't get the extra food. After reloading the savegame and leaving the surgeon as a surgeon with the ability active, I did get the extra food. That's going into the next update.

Now try playing in "Early Explorers" period and watch for the alternative name for the apothecary...

Last edited:
In "Early Explorers", most of the Caribbean is owned by Spain, including Bridgetown, which is Santa Inês. So the apothecary got a Spanish name. It's a translation, but not of "Wren"...

Back