• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Prices for blades

If I may offer a suggestion, I would not try to price the weapons based on some formula steming from weapon stats. In the real world weapon prices would be based on many variables. People bought weapons for all kinds of different reasons, such as functionality, aesthetics, reputation (famous smith), exclusivity, etc. The costs to make a weapon can also vary wildly (sailors used cutlasses more because they were cheap to manufacture, and didn't require much training to use). Then there is the class aspect; the rapier is the gentleman's weapon, so it would logically be more expensive (even after the manufacturing costs) than a cutlass which is more of a commoner's weapon. So prices really would not be relative to their capability to speak of.

So if you really want to fix the prices you would have to look at each weapon and figure out prices based on all the factors I mentioned, including looks. You would get much better and more realistic results.

Personally though, I would spend the time on trying to differentiate the weapons more, as most of them have near identical stats (for their level) without much specialization between them (something I will be trying to fix for myself). It is a real shame the game does not have weapon speeds as that is a big factor in combat.

Valid points.

Speed can be simulated somewhat. The lighter faster longer rapier should have higher stats for offense and defense while doing less damage, while the shorter heavier slower cutlass would have lower stats for offense and defense but would do more damage.

Ah, valid indeed. This, however, means that not only the prices, but the whole blades' properties system should be overhauled... Should be worthy, IMHO, since truly there are tons of almost identical blades... Would take someone with better knowledge on that sort of historical weapons to revise it, I wouldn't dare to meddle with it myself.

As regards properties other than quality, well, I think these are somewhat reflected in the rarity bonus. This is, IMHO, as far as the game in its current form goes.

Last edited:
Thread moved to Bug Tracker so that I don't forget about doing this. :wp

We could add that formula in the game and see what happens. Indeed the rarity value in there would hopefully take care of what @Neon Samurai mentions.
If not, we may have to put an extra "price scalar" in there which further adjusts the final number.

I definitely agree most swords are far too "samey samey". That is also why I wanted to have the Period Weapons mod.
That way at least not all weapons we have appear all at the same time. It is also why I see very little point in adding more of them.

But more differentiation is always welcome. Though I seem to remember that was already done in the past and we are currently playing with the results of that. :facepalm

The lighter faster longer rapier should have higher stats for offense and defense while doing less damage, while the shorter heavier slower cutlass would have lower stats for offense and defense but would do more damage.

It just occured to me that there is a class of weapons that quite escapes this simple rule - hatchets and axes. Indeed their damage should be much greater, but due to their weight, it would be much easier for the opponents to simply dodge the blow. Unfortunately, the POTC NPCs are non-dodgers, except for the monkeys, thus the only way this could be balanced is by reducing the piercing, presuming that each successful block by the enemy was in fact a successful dodge...

Again, the idea is great, but it would take someone with some knowledge on the topic to actually change this.

Unfortunately you really need swing speed to really make the weapons really stand out (weapon strength would be nice too). A battle axe for example would be quite adept at smashing through defenses and dealing high damage, but it would be a cumbersome weapon to swing or to try to parry with, due to its long recovery time. A dagger on the other hand would be lower damage, but generally still pretty good at bypassing defenses, and have a very high attack rate, but would not be very good at parrying.

Also some of the weapons really do not fit with the combat style in the game (which is very fast). A period weapons mod, while it sounds nice, may not really work, as the main weapon types (sabers, cutlasses, rapiers, etc) were all around before piracy started up in the Caribbean.

Anyhow, I will probably take a stab at trying to fix things in the future. Possibly group weapons into different classes, and try to base some of the stat variances on the weapons physical characteristics, and maybe stretch out the level tiers so that combat remains lethal at high levels. Then maybe throw in some weapons that have good stats but wear out very quickly, and maybe some master craftsman weapons which would be super rare and cost considerably more.

I just want to say that sabers are a late period weapon that appeared after the age of piracy.

A period weapons mod, while it sounds nice, may not really work, as the main weapon types (sabers, cutlasses, rapiers, etc) were all around before piracy started up in the Caribbean.
That feature is already in there. :yes

Then maybe throw in some weapons that have good stats but wear out very quickly
That would require an extra variable for each blade. Right now blade damage is calculated exactly the same for different blades.
Only influence is their minlevel value.

I just want to say that sabers are a late period weapon that appeared after the age of piracy.

Well yes and no. Yes the French Sabre came out later, but it was based on other weapons from eastern Europe (namely the Szabla, which was almost identical, or the Swiss Sabre (the Schnepf) which were around for quite a while. Sabres are also a class of weapons (curved single or double edged weapons with a lighter blade, which separates them from machete like designs such as the Cutlass), and in the family would include weapons like the Scimitar, the Dao, the Samshir, the Talwar, etc

That feature is already in there. :yes

Cool, I had seen some of the variables in the files, but I wasn't sure if they were active or not :)

That would require an extra variable for each blade. Right now blade damage is calculated exactly the same for different blades.
Only influence is their minlevel value.

Ya, still it would be a cool way of differentiating the weapons more.

I haven't touched it. Seemed not everyone agrees that it needs to be changed at all.

So what is the status on this?

The main issue I'd noticed was that the Hibernian was both very common and very expensive - you could make an absolute fortune by boarding a ship, looting all the crew, returning to port with a big pile of Hibernians, and selling the lot. Dropping the rarity value from 0.1 to 0.03 has solved that one.

is this also implemented in the update?

That rarity change? I'm afraid I missed out on that.
Noticed it should be added right after it finished uploading.
Will be in the next one.

Back