• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Problem with encounter on the worldmap

pirate_mate

Landlubber
Hello,

its a great game but my problem are the encounters on the worldmap. They are attack me to often. I have no chance and so everything will be lost.
How can i change this (so that they never (or less) attack me?).
Please help :)

The simplest thing you can do is choose "few encounters" at the beginning of the game. With a bit of patience you can also learn to avoid hostile ships quite easily, since on the map you're always faster than everybody else.

Yes and giving that the AI alway's chooses to go around other ships while you can go through them means you can gain a chunky amount of distance bettween yourself and those chasing you. Using other ships and islands etc to your advantage play's a tactical role in escaping many battles while your speed is key too, remember you maybe faster but the wind direction effects your speed and other's so a ship sailing with the wind will alway's be faster. Using the wind to you advantage can be a good tactic too but not alway's since 9 out of 10 times the wind is against you or changes direction to be against you. Its one feature i think that needs ultering so that the wind direction is random at the moment its alway's focused on the direction your goin and slowing you down or it feels that way.

1. Basicly untill you are stronger you should avoid using dangerous routes. What I mean - some towns are harder to get out then the other. Consider hiding behind the forts too. For example Maracaibo is a trap. There always are several enemy & pirat ships at the bottleneck. But at the same time the Maracaibo fort can help a lot - with a little patience you can use lure the enemy ships and then hide behind the fort.
2. Also you should use the fast-travel as much as you can. What I mean? For example you get out in the overhead map and see an enemy ship. Get back to the tactical map and fast-travel to some other location. Get out again and look around... if it is safe proceed. If there are still enemy ships around rinse and repeat...
3. There is a perk which allows to avoid any confrontation. Well... almost any. You will need to advance to get this perk or to find an officer with it which cannot happen in the very beginning of the game.
4. Find a faster ship - don't go for the ships with the bigger hold; instead look for faster ships and just run away. Once you have some skills and enough skills to use class 4 ship go capture the "Blue Bird". Now the real fun starts - it can outrun any ship on the map and at the same time you can easily beat any ship up to class 3 with it.
All this needs a patience. You prefer just the arcade side of the game then simply cheat and give yourself 50,000,000 golds, all the top perks and a Man-o-war from the very begiining like some players on this board did. :rolleyes:

A faster ship won't help, ship speed doesn't count for squat in map mode. But yes, the Blue Bird can beat any regular ship, even Manowars. It's not even that difficult, all it takes is a lot of patience - load grape shot and wait a long distance from the enemy ship. Since you're far away, the enemy will fire cannonballs at you, which at this distance will barely harm you, if at all. Wait till all four sides of the enemy ship have fired, then close in, fire your volleys, then retreat again. Works best when the enemy ship has 32 pounders, since those take long to reload, so you have plenty of time to close in and maneuver around the enemy. Just be sure not to get too close, or he'll board you. :woot

All this needs a patience. You prefer just the arcade side of the game then simply cheat and give yourself 50,000,000 golds, all the top perks and a Man-o-war from the very begiining like some players on this board did. :rolleyes:
Or go play Sid Meier's Pirates. That's plenty arcadey. xD:

The only advice I can offer on top of this is to save often and if you find yourself in a difficult encounter to reload your game. This will help in the beginning when you have to be picky about the battles that you fight. Once your skills and ship are a little better you will not have to reload as often.

In the beginning, I always save before I leave a port, and after every battle on the world map. I also save on land in the beginning if I am fighting in the jungle and may be facing 3 opponents. Once you got better skills you will not die as often and will only need to save in case of ctd.

Yeah, savescumming works. Make a new save before every battle, enemy ships are randomly generated, so if you get some you don't like just reload and they will be different. Also quicksave after each good volley, that is every your volley that hits and every enemy volley that misses.

Lol, you dont need to go that overboard with saving. Reload when you need to, like when you cant outrun or out-fight an enemy. Basically reload if you are in a tough position that will most likely end in your death and gameover.

Not an exploit but a time and frustration saver:)

Did you forget to be making them monthly payments to Isabella Fred Bob? I read the walkthrough for the quest and it seems she wants a nice chunk of change from you every month. Do you have to pay every month, or can you leave a lump sum and forget about her for a few months?

A faster ship won't help, ship speed doesn't count for squat in map mode.

I mean at the tactical map.
As for the overhead map - it is true indeed. You get the same speed even with 0% sails (in reality you should be able only to tow your ship)

I took the advice to choose "few encounters" upon start-up several weeks ago and that seems to be ok. I still get plenty of ships on the world map trying to fight me.

Also, my first few Sea perks I spent on the various national flags. Change the flag on your ship when you see an unwanted encounter approaching (f2). The ships may still follow you, but unless you goto the tactical map they don't seem to force the encounter. I also save after every battle or anytime I'm going to the world map. There will be times I needed a diff flag up the pole to avoid an immediate encounter upon going to world map.

Sea Dog perk helps a bit...allows you to "sail on" when normally your only choice would be "engage". Look for a nav officer with it or do like I did and build up your navigational skills once you have all the flags and maybe musket volley for boarding.

Back