• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Problem with performance

Omnious

Landlubber
Hi guys! :gday

Just finished watching jefmajor`s Lets play of City of Abandoned Ships and i just had to play this game. I delved into the available game info and learned about the GOF patch/mod and this place.

Have not installed it yet as i wanted to try vanilla for a bit.

But here is the thing, Everything starts out ok-ish on the "tutorial" boat and im swinging my sword around and blahblah...

Then i am thrown ashore to get my sh*t together. Here is where the problem begins.. everything went from like 200fps to 5fps. Inside houses everything runs fine just outside and when sailing the frame rate goes down the drain.

Adjusting resolution or texture detail has no effect whatsoever.

I tried searching this forum and there seems to be others a while ago that had similar problems that also have ATI/AMD graphics cards. I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done about it?

My specs should be plenty enough to play the game if the minimum/recommended specs is a good guideline

My rig :
Win XP 32Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3,6Ghz
ATI Radeon 4870 512MB @ 765Mhz
4 GB Ram

I have an old 3Ghz AMD Athlon XP with a Nvida 6800GT card i could try the game with somewhere, i just have to find it xD:

Ahoy Omnious, welcome aboard mate! :dance

I have an ATI as well, and it runs the game beautifully, yours should as well. This game engine is becoming a bit dated, and there are sometimes issues with newer cards. There are several performance tweaks you can try, have a look through THIS thread and see if that helps. If none of those work, let me know and I'll see if we can come up with something else.

Ahoy Omnious, welcome aboard mate! :dance

I have an ATI as well, and it runs the game beautifully, yours should as well. This game engine is becoming a bit dated, and there are sometimes issues with newer cards. There are several performance tweaks you can try, have a look through THIS thread and see if that helps. If none of those work, let me know and I'll see if we can come up with something else.

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Now about that link, it leads me to a place where lots of germans discuss the finer points of stabbing eachother with different types of swords. I hope that is not the performance tweaks you are refering to, as i dont want to be stabbed right now.

Btw i updated my drivers ( they were "only" 3 months old) performance at sea increased a little, but towns still bring the game to a crawl.

Tried all the stuff in the link, no difference :urgh

I also played around with the engine.ini without any noticeable performance boost

1) Move the game outside "Program Files" if you have it here.

2) Defragment then disk.

Probably you are going to solve nothing, but it is worth a try.

How you managed to measure the frame rate? There is some flag in the ini files, but it never worked for me and I'll love to have a FPS indicator.

Cheers.
buho (A).

1) Move the game outside "Program Files" if you have it here.

2) Defragment then disk.

Probably you are going to solve nothing, but it is worth a try.

How you managed to measure the frame rate? There is some flag in the ini files, but it never worked for me and I'll love to have a FPS indicator.

Cheers.
buho (A).

1) I installed the game on another partition.

2) The disk was defragmented a few weeks ago. Its a WD Velociraptor 300GB 10.000RPM drive, so disk access time shouldn't be a problem.

The ini file showfps did not work for me either.

Measured the FPS with Fraps and it never went above 13FPS in towns by day. I just tried at night when there where less people in the town and then the fps hovered around 20-25 but still "unplayable" because of mouselag.

Inside buildings the FPS was constantly 60 (with vertical sync on or off probably because my monitor is 60Hz)

The graphics card probably has some issues with lighting/shading or something..

Are there any other meaningful config files that can be messed around with? Never seen such a buttload of ini files before xD:

I ran this game just fine on my old ATI 3870, no problems at all, your card should run it perfect. My next guess is it has something to do with antialiasing, check your catalyst control panel video card settings and make sure antialiasing isn't being forced.

I ran this game just fine on my old ATI 3870, no problems at all, your card should run it perfect. My next guess is it has something to do with antialiasing, check your catalyst control panel video card settings and make sure antialiasing isn't being forced.

Disabled everything, same framerate only difference is that textures turn super flat and ugly. Could you or someone else paste their engine.ini here for comparison?

Later today my brother will test the game on his laptop as its also a intel dual core but with a Nvidia gpu.

I'm buying a new computer after Christmas, but it would be nice to get some answers to the other people that might be wondering wtf this is..

The only other thing I can suggest is make sure your video drivers are up to date. You can always get the latest ATI drivers HERE! If I come up with anything else, I'll post it here.

Back