• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Problem with standard storyline not going into storm after frigate is sunk

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I got to the part of the Sea Hawk storyline where you go to the mines and talk to Laborio Drago and it all worked perfectly. The Commandant was there all dialogs worked.

Then I sunk the frigate and that went well except that instead of going into the storm I went to the lighthouse instead. From there I did hit the storm. Is this how it is supposed to be now?

I don't remember anything being intentionally changed there.
Which part of the storyline is that? It has been so long that I don't remember.
Post a compile.log if you can; that should contain the exact code case names involved.

I am well beyond that now. The way it used to work was you would sink the frigate and get the idol, then get hit by the storm and washed to Bonaire.

Now I am at Bridgetown where you have to destroy the fort. The battle starts with you charging straight into land under the fort. That means that while your fleet is trying to turn so you can shoot up at the fort, it is shooting down at you at point blank range. The predictable result so far has been total failure. In three attempts all ships have been sunk while only managing to destroy one cannon. 5th rates with 40-24s are not nearly good enough.

Is that frigate with the idol not at Bonaire as well? I seem to remember that the storm hits you upon leaving from Barbados (actually, still Oxbay last time I played that).

Perhaps on that fort assault, we can find some different sea locators so you have to actually sail towards the fort before getting into battle?
Would that be an improvement?

I am well beyond that now. The way it used to work was you would sink the frigate and get the idol, then get hit by the storm and washed to Bonaire.

Now I am at Bridgetown where you have to destroy the fort. The battle starts with you charging straight into land under the fort. That means that while your fleet is trying to turn so you can shoot up at the fort, it is shooting down at you at point blank range. The predictable result so far has been total failure. In three attempts all ships have been sunk while only managing to destroy one cannon. 5th rates with 40-24s are not nearly good enough.

you pretymuch need a Branberg frigate or equivalent and emergency repairs or that monster of a fort will sink you easily

o_O How long has it been since you played POTC? Oxbay?? Build 12? No, that frigate is sitting in Bridgetown harbor and you must entice it to come out and fight. The storm used to start as soon as it was sunk, but this time it didn't happen until I was most of the way to Martinique and went to the world map.

Many attempts later with different ships show that the wind direction is key. You need to start in the harbor because those G*&^am sh^*$y mouth mo*&%rf&%%$*ng so called Captains just sail out of the harbor and start shooting the cliffs. :pirate07: :rumgone I almost had it one time. The 5th rate was sunk and my Wicked Wench was heavily damaged but hanging in there when the San Martin (56-24s) just sailed away and she was hardly damaged!! :facepalm

Ya, but there are no large ships except for Vanderdecken. I started off with 5th rates becasuse those are the largest ships to be seen, except for British battle fleets, which I have to avoid. Soo, back to Vanderdecken we go.......:pirateraft

o_O How long has it been since you played POTC? Oxbay?? Build 12? No, that frigate is sitting in Bridgetown harbor and you must entice it to come out and fight. The storm used to start as soon as it was sunk, but this time it didn't happen until I was most of the way to Martinique and went to the world map.

Many attempts later with different ships show that the wind direction is key. You need to start in the harbor because those G*&^am sh^*$y mouth mo*&%rf&%%$*ng so called Captains just sail out of the harbor and start shooting the cliffs. :pirate07: :rumgone I almost had it one time. The 5th rate was sunk and my Wicked Wench was heavily damaged but hanging in there when the San Martin (56-24s) just sailed away and she was hardly damaged!! :facepalm

Ya, but there are no large ships except for Vanderdecken. I started off with 5th rates becasuse those are the largest ships to be seen, except for British battle fleets, which I have to avoid. Soo, back to Vanderdecken we go.......:pirateraft

:rofl .. Hem yeah blasted captains.

I must admit my methods are very different to yours i seek out those battle fleets with a vengeance i remember that french ship of the line that surrendered to me :walkplank i tend to have rely big ships good for taking out most forts.

instead of going into the storm I went to the lighthouse instead. From there I did hit the storm. Is this how it is supposed to be now?

I do remember that part well - it is actually how it was in the vanilla, storm always hits after the lighthouse.

(actually, still Oxbay last time I played that).

Wow, I never thought New Horizons had at some time used old names at all, that is if you're actually referring to it and not the vanilla.

Ya, but there are no large ships except for Vanderdecken. I started off with 5th rates becasuse those are the largest ships to be seen

i seek out those battle fleets

Well yeah, IMHO the only way of finding high-tiers randomly. But, uh, why dontcha try capturing the Fast Death? It's a 4-tier, excellent sailing qualities, and you can capture her quite easily and she may be found a good asset even on higher levels.

Wow, I never thought New Horizons had at some time used old names at all, that is if you're actually referring to it and not the vanilla.
I think I played it last on Build 13 or an early Build 14 Alpha.
That was before we changed the names.

Can someone confirm this is still a problem and if so provide savegames?

Last time I played "Tales of a Sea Hawk" was under Beta 3.1, and it worked to completion. You can't board the frigate at Bridgetown (or, for that matter, all the battleships when Silehard counterattacks) as the game hangs if you do. When I sank the frigate, I went straight to the storm, bypassing the lighthouse scene entirely.

The same bug also used to strike if you tried to board the Animist ships attacking the Montanez during the "Strange Happenings" side quest. That one was "fixed" by making those ships unboardable - not really fixed so much as bypassed.

All the boardings worked perfectly under Build 13.

I know about the boarding problem indeed. If there are still ships which make the game hang please let us know, as a temp fix we can make them unboardable too.

If someone has time could he check if it tales of the sea hawk still works as it suppost in 3.3 ?

Me neither, but if we already cut that topic on: I think some of the forts are way too OP.. Bridgetown is a good example.. those cannons are shooting your ship down in a few seconds.. And imo the two biggest problems are:

- Cannons reload too fast (tweaked it in my version, plays much better)
- To destroy the fort, you have to destroy all cannons.. If I remember right, you just had to shoot the fort's HP to 0 in the vanilla game, which was way easier. And some forts have those nasty corners where the ships cannons can reach only in a vertain position which results in a massive loss of ammo and powder for nothing and wasting time

Back