• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Problem with wind direction

Carl

Sailor Apprentice
Heya!
I bought this game some time ago, and now, first time playing it, I can´t see the direction of the wind. I have this compass right above, but I don´t know how to use it.
Greetings, Carl

Edit: I didn´t mention, that I am playing with GOF 2.0.

Last edited:
I think GOF removes the arrow that indicates the wind direction.

Something you could do is look at your flags, depending on where they are pointing you can find out where the wind blows from.
Think of them as an arrow.

Thank You!
I will try out to have a look to the flag. If this works, I will play GOF furthermore.
But I can´t see the good side of this arrow removed, cause the sails do not change their position, and looking at your ship, wind seems always to come from steerboard... And therefore I did not look at the flag in particular...

But I can´t see the good side of this arrow removed, cause the sails do not change their position, and looking at your ship, wind seems always to come from steerboard... And therefore I did not look at the flag in particular...
The reason I would think is realism.

Thank You!
I will try out to have a look to the flag. If this works, I will play GOF furthermore.
It should work, in every Sea Dogs game I played it worked, so I don't see why it shouldn't.

Did it exist in historical ships though?

I don´t think, it existed.
But like Peter said, it is realistic, especially if you count the fact, that the sails never change their position. So there is no hint to look at the flag... And if I have a schooner, and the wind comes from backboard, and the sails are ointing towards backboard, like it is in the game... Well, then an arrow on the compass would do the trick.

Best would be some kind of compass like in TEHO.

Did it exist in historical ships though?
Not sure. But why wouldn't it?
Mechanically, it is extremely simple.
They could've easily made them.
And surely they were in church towers also in those days.

Only reason I can think of why they wouldn't be on ships is simple too:
A wind vane is small. A mast is big. You wouldn't be able to see the bloody thing.
Plus it tells you nothing about wind strength.

And it so happens there was a simple tool available that fixes both issues:
Flags! Specifically, those super-long pennants.
Surely they weren't just for show.

But like Peter said, it is realistic, especially if you count the fact, that the sails never change their position. So there is no hint to look at the flag... And if I have a schooner, and the wind comes from backboard, and the sails are ointing towards backboard, like it is in the game... Well, then an arrow on the compass would do the trick.
Well the sails do move depending on the wind, but naturally flags move more.

Here is a video of it in PotC:

It is the same in at least all games starting from PotC.

Best would be some kind of compass like in TEHO.
Stock CoAS is like that. ;)

I´ve looked into the game, and well, yes, you are right, and I am wrong. My ship sails seem to change the position accordingly. Then I did look into TEHO, where they do not. Seems, I first looked into the wrong game.
But nonetheless an arrow in the compass would be nice, although from now on I will not sail blind anymore. So thanks a lot! :)

I´ve looked into the game, and well, yes, you are right, and I am wrong. My ship sails seem to change the position accordingly. Then I did look into TEHO, where they do not. Seems, I first looked into the wrong game.
Which ship do you use in TEHO?

I think I did see them move, but most of my playtime is with my Black Pearl mod.
And the model I used is the one from New Horizons.

But nonetheless an arrow in the compass would be nice, although from now on I will not sail blind anymore. So thanks a lot! :)
You are welcome! Good luck on the sea! :cheers

I am still sailing with a small not sqare rigged ship. And the sails are like this...

As you can see here: The wind direction changed but the sails position on the second picture does not really match with the wind direction. To me it is not that hard cause I love all the games of the series, every single one has it´s ups and downs compared to the others. And the graphics of TEHO are wonderful, although the gameplay is a bit harsh. As long as I can sail on the battle map everything is fine, and thanks to Hook´s map mod this is no problem.

What other ships do, if their sails are realistically animated I will see if I have one. :)

Last edited:
Well this probably is due to the way the sails are shaped.
They physically can't turn more.
I think fore and aft rigged ships (non square rigged) react the same to wind in the other Sea Dogs games as well,.
So if it is wrong, it is not only TEHO's fault.

@Pieter Boelen, does this look and sound right to you?
To me it does, but I haven't actually sailed, so I may be wrong.

@The Nameless Pirate,
yes, that was, what I meant. it seems to be cause of this particular shaped sails. All others I have seen so long look like they should. But I am sailing this lugger since some time, and therefore it was something, I noticed. But like I wrote, it´s okay, cause I can imagine, how difficult it would be to change this for maybe two or three different ships in the game.

But in SD-COAS I would like to see the same compass like TEHO has. Cause this is some really good tool ingame. One look and everything is checked. So TEHO here does a much better job than COAS with GOF.

But now I had some crazy crashs in COAS and deinstalled the whole game. All time I tried to flee from a fort, where some pirate wanted to meet me in front of, the game ctd´ed. And the same happened after I did load an older save. So it seems not to be the save but the game. I need to reinstall but for now I prefer to play SD-TEHO first and maybe New Horizons again, as this is still my favourite of this series.

@The Nameless Pirate,
yes, that was, what I meant. it seems to be cause of this particular shaped sails. All others I have seen so long look like they should. But I am sailing this lugger since some time, and therefore it was something, I noticed. But like I wrote, it´s okay, cause I can imagine, how difficult it would be to change this for maybe two or three different ships in the game.
I meant that it maybe is the same in real life, so it is not a problem.

But I haven't sailed in real life, so someone who has can confirm or deny what I said.

But in SD-COAS I would like to see the same compass like TEHO has. Cause this is some really good tool ingame. One look and everything is checked. So TEHO here does a much better job than COAS with GOF.
Maybe you could dig up the stock game textures of the compass and wind indicator, and put them in GOF.

Simplest is to imagine a sail as a mirror.
The angle of the wind coming in should be deflected to the stern.

That's not actually how it works at all, but it gives a decent clue of what it should look Like.

Square sails cannot go more than 70-ish degrees from the wind direction in real life.
I think they can go closer in the games.

They'd also be affected by the rigging getting in the way.
But the games don't care.

Back