• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Problems with "Bartolomeu o Portugues" storyline

Not exactly a bug, but a couple of inconsistencies:
"Assassin" starts in 1665. "Bartolomeu o Portugues" starts in 1660. So Elting hasn't even started his own timeline when he's helping Bartolomeu raid Cartagena in Bartolomeu's timeline.

Elting: "What do you think of the war between England and France?"
Bartolomeu: "Don't you mean the war between Spain and France?"
Elting: "Hardly. I used to work for Spain and if it had been at war with France, I'd have known about it."
Bartolomeu: "Well I didn't work for any nation except my homeland, Portugal. But with Portugal at war with France, I had to use an English flag to get into French ports to visit Roxanne."
Elting: "I did some work for England too, and all those missions were against France. Besides, you ought to move to my timeline. France and Portugal signed an alliance which means you'd have no problem visiting Roxanne!"

Since the stories of Johan Elting and Bartolomeu o Portugues are so intertwined, perhaps they should be consistent? I don't know off-hand whether France was at war with England, Spain or Portugal in the 1660's; from what I've learned while researching other things, relations at that time were somewhat fluid! But the "Assassin" storyline requires France to be at war with England and at peace with both Spain and Portugal, whereas "Bartolomeu" probably doesn't care. (Though the early missions would be easier if France and Portugal are at peace, as that would mean Bartolomeu is also at peace with France. In particular, as things are now, the smuggling run to Marigot will have problems if you don't fly a false flag or if the storekeeper sees through your deception.)

In my game at least, the Cartagena raid happened in 1663. This ties nicely with the Dutch-Portuguese treaty of 1663 which you mentioned in another thread, and which happens in the game when you visit the governor of Sao Jorge at the start of this quest. If "Assassin" were to start in 1660, as "Bartolomeu" does now, then that treaty will probably happen somewhere near the end. (I'm going to guess that at some point you're going to extend "Assassin" to show Elting's version of the Cartagena raid, at which point Portugal can make peace with both Holland and Elting, the same way Holland makes peace with both Portugal and Bartolomeu now.)

Since, unless I've forgotten something, "Bartolomeu" isn't much affected by national relations whereas "Assassin" relies on certain relationships, I'd suggest making default relations in "Bartolomeu" match those in "Assassin". Possibly start both of them with France at peace with Portugal rather than having France become allied to Portugal at the point where Elting breaks into St. Pierre town hall (or maybe that could remain the place where France allies to Portugal, and have them neutral until then). As I said, that would make Bartolomeu's early smuggling missions easier. (I tried to go to the beach on Martinique and kept running into naval patrols who took very little time to see through the false flag I was flying. The only way I completed the mission was to fly a false flag and go straight to the port, where a couple of merchants also recognised me but were a lot easier to take out than the naval ships.)

If you are playing again the Assassin Storyline, tell me how long does it take to Elting meet Bartolomeu the first time. At least, temporarily, the starting date of the Assassin Storyline can be 1662.
About relations, the only problem for now is France in the Bartolomeu storyline ? right?

At the moment I've got as far as the modified "Hard Labours of an Assassin" chapter, alias "A Worm in the Apple". It will be some time before I get to the point where Elting meets Bartolomeu. Remember that there are a couple of periods where you have no mission for the vice admiral and are set loose to do some free-play privateering. (Though the lack of any such periods in "Bartolomeu" didn't prevent me from doing some free-play privateering and side quests anyway, which is one reason why it was 1663 when I got to the Cartagena mission. ;))

I believe the only problem for the "Bartolomeu" storyline as far as relations is concerned is France being hostile to Portugal because you're Portuguese so France is hostile to you, which complicates two of the early smuggling missions. Looking through the questbook entries at what I'd done, I couldn't see anything else which would be affected by changing relations to match those in "Assassin".

@Grey Roger: If there are any other code changes you made/are making, please post them soon so I can include them in my game and the next update.
Otherwise there is a risk of incompatibility with your stuff again. :facepalm

I think for the update of today, the starting date for the Assassin storyline can be changed from 1665 to 1662 and France is friendly or neutral to Portugal in the Bartolomeu Storyline.
Is it ok for you @Grey Roger ?

It's @Bartolomeu o Portugues' story so I don't make any changes without checking with him first. ;) The exception is minor corrections to dialogs, and no more of those will be coming for "Bartolomeu" any time soon because I'm now playing "Assassin". ;) And I'll probably need to play "Assassin" at least as far as the point where Elting first meets Bartolomeu so we have some idea of when the two storylines should start relative to each other for the meeting to be at about the same time in both stories...

Edit: @Bartolomeu o Portugues got there before I'd finished typing. I'll edit the startup files for both "Assassin" and "Bartolomeu" accordingly, then post them here soon...

If you guys have some proposed code changes, please post them in the "Fixes" thread for me to include.
But it has to be up to you to make those changes because if I do it, chances are it'll need changing later anyway. :razz

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: how about also adding the same relation lines to "Bartolomeu" as are in "Assassin" for relations between England, Spain and France? This shouldn't have any impact on the story but would mean they'd be consistent between the two stories. Also, I could add in a line to make England and Holland neutral, which used to be the default anyway until "Periods.c" was changed to put them at war for the benefit of Michiel De Ruyter. But he's doing his stuff earlier in the "Spanish Main" period, and in 1660 they were at peace again.

Also, any objection to changing "Assassin" to make France and Portugal neutral from the start? That way the vice admiral isn't lying to you when, at the start of "The Alliance", he says that France and Portugal aren't at war. (They become allies when you break into St. Pierre town hall and find evidence of what France's warship is doing - we knew they were at peace, now we have evidence that they're actively allied.)

Last edited:
@Bartolomeu o Portugues: how about also adding the same relation lines to "Bartolomeu" as are in "Assassin" for relations between England, Spain and France? This shouldn't have any impact on the story but would mean they'd be consistent between the two stories. Also, I could add in a line to make England and Holland neutral, which used to be the default anyway until "Periods.c" was changed to put them at war for the benefit of Michiel De Ruyter. But he's doing his stuff earlier in the "Spanish Main" period, and in 1660 they were at peace again.

Also, any objection to changing "Assassin" to make France and Portugal neutral from the start? That way the vice admiral isn't lying to you when, at the start of "The Alliance", he says that France and Portugal aren't at war. (They become allies when you break into St. Pierre town hall and find evidence of what France's warship is doing - we knew they were at peace, now we have evidence that they're actively allied.)
Ok, for these changes :yes

Put this on fixed, is that right?

@Grey Roger, was there not a problem with Johan Elting not appearing in a cabin scene? I remember that being reported, but don't remember it being fixed.
What is the last you remember on that one?

I wondered if something I'd done to "quests_reaction.c" had caused it, though I couldn't figure out how. It was suggested that I try a new game and use cheatmode to skip straight to the Cartagena raid. I did, Elting appeared on schedule, so I concluded that the modified "quests_reaction.c" couldn't be responsible and left it at that. Possibly something messed up with the savegame which led to the problem in the first place.

We haven't ruled out then if the problem is with "starting from a New Game and playing all the way through".
Perhaps the Jump-Start works, but regular play doesn't? That would take a while to test....

@Talisman, when you tested the Fireworks part, did you use the Jump-Start or not?

We haven't ruled out then if the problem is with "starting from a New Game and playing all the way through".
Perhaps the Jump-Start works, but regular play doesn't? That would take a while to test....

@Talisman, when you tested the Fireworks part, did you use the Jump-Start or not?

I used the jump-start to go straight to the Fireworks part.

:duel:

Back