• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Problems with boarding ships

mistweavers

Landlubber
Guys, can anyone answer my question? When boarding ships my crew consist of 2 mans and enemies kills them and me by 2-3 hits(i have gold cuirass)? My ship class is 8, enemy's 7. The crew is full. Morale is high. There's weapons in the weaponslocker. I'm 6 lvl and stats 5-6-4-2-1-4-2-3-1-4(up to down) I can't find anything. I tried all difficulties and damage is the same. Screens for more information. I found one thread here for 2016, but not answered( Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.))

Attachments

• 1644650723397.png
    1644650723397.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 1644650778467.png
    1644650778467.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • 1644650875957.png
    1644650875957.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 1644650917224.png
    1644650917224.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 94
  • 1644650948065.png
    1644650948065.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 95
  • 1644650997408.png
    1644650997408.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
It's actually one of better balanced mechanics in this game and that's why people who are being used to get everything basically for free (like best armors, gold, ships) are having unpleasant surprise - why is not boarding also that easy?

The biggest factor that is deciding about result in your situation is that super low amount of crew - trust me ~30 people is like nothing, specially when enemy ship have them like 2x-3x more probably. Also your crew equipment is mediocre at best and only in case of swords, while pistols are trash and there are no armors and healing items for your crew at all - how can you know what's the armory of enemy ship? Maybe it's far better than yours. Then its also important how big are skills of enemy captain and which perks does he have - maybe he is much stronger than you. Also "high" morale doesnt really mean THAT high - there are few higher morale levels - you should aim for superior / heroic morale. Last point may be that you only have 85 HP :) - dying from 2-3 hits by having 85hp doesnt mean dying fast - you are just weak.

The amounts of people fighting during boarding, their HP and DMG are truly symbolical. This is just best what original game and mod creators were capable to achieve to represent real chances to win or lose during boarding combat.

Now imagine that your crew of ~30 people that are armed, commanded and educated similar to II WW russian red army solders that were capable only of murdering and raping innocent people is attacking an group of maybe ~50-70 people armed far better, with much higher morale that indicates their will of survival and protecting their beloved captain and also commanded by better captain than Ciri because i dont believe that she got any education about leading a ship during her time in Kaer Morhen.

It's something very good and realistic that you are losing during boarding - it's one of not that many really good balanced things in New Horizons mod. You can get unlimited amounts of money and items basically for nothing, you can become a hero of carraiben just by reminding people that they should hide their purses with money, but you CANNOT just grab someone's ship and do with him whatever you want as long as you are not truly stronger than him - at least that thing is balanced pretty well.

- What can you do to grab that ship right now? Your best chance is to lower it's crew by using grapes to absolute minimum value OR fighting with that ship to the point when it surrenders and then you will need to fight only enemy captain or maybe he will also surrender to you instantly.
- What can you do to increase your boarding potential really fast? Get around 20 fine swords (worth atleast 2000 gold each), 20 pistols (also around 2000 gold worth) upgrade them to excelent quality by blacksmith. For upgrading pistols you can go to Sao Jorge in La Grenada - gunsmith lives there. You also should put there atleast few dozens of best healing items you can get and around 10-20 best armor pieces you can financially afford. At the end you should get Nickolas Sharp sword for yourself from side quest and ofc also upgrade it to excelent quality, while very good pistol for yourself you can find on the same island from Clint Eastwood - jungle around pirate settlement.

Last edited:
It's actually one of better balanced mechanics in this game and that's why people who are being used to get everything basically for free (like best armors, gold, ships) are having unpleasant surprise - why is not boarding also that easy?

The biggest factor that is deciding about result in your situation is that super low amount of crew - trust me ~30 people is like nothing, specially when enemy ship have them like 2x-3x more probably. Also your crew equipment is mediocre at best and only in case of swords, while pistols are trash and there are no armors and healing items for your crew at all - how can you know what's the armory of enemy ship? Maybe it's far better than yours. Then its also important how big are skills of enemy captain and which perks does he have - maybe he is much stronger than you. Also "high" morale doesnt really mean THAT high - there are few higher morale levels - you should aim for superior / heroic morale. Last point may be that you only have 85 HP :) - dying from 2-3 hits by having 85hp doesnt mean dying fast - you are just weak.

The amounts of people fighting during boarding, their HP and DMG are truly symbolical. This is just best what original game and mod creators were capable to achieve to represent real chances to win or lose during boarding combat.

Now imagine that your crew of ~30 people that are armed, commanded and educated similar to II WW russian red army solders that were capable only of murdering and raping innocent people is attacking an group of maybe ~50-70 people armed far better, with much higher morale that indicates their will of survival and protecting their beloved captain and also commanded by better captain than Ciri because i dont believe that she got any education about leading a ship during her time in Kaer Morhen.

It's something very good and realistic that you are losing during boarding - it's one of not that many really good balanced things in New Horizons mod. You can get unlimited amounts of money and items basically for nothing, you can become a hero of carraiben just by reminding people that they should hide their purses with money, but you CANNOT just grab someone's ship and do with him whatever you want as long as you are not truly stronger than him - at least that thing is balanced pretty well.

- What can you do to grab that ship right now? Your best chance is to lower it's crew by using grapes to absolute minimum value OR fighting with that ship to the point when it surrenders and then you will need to fight only enemy captain or maybe he will also surrender to you instantly.
- What can you do to increase your boarding potential really fast? Get around 20 fine swords (worth atleast 2000 gold each), 20 pistols (also around 2000 gold worth) upgrade them to excelent quality by blacksmith. For upgrading pistols you can go to Sao Jorge in La Grenada - gunsmith lives there. You also should put there atleast few dozens of best healing items you can get and around 10-20 best armor pieces you can financially afford. At the end you should get Nickolas Sharp sword for yourself from side quest and ofc also upgrade it to excelent quality, while very good pistol for yourself you can find on the same island from Clint Eastwood - jungle around pirate settlement.
Thanks for advices, that's about what I thought. But there's one thing. In second main quest for Hawk (spying in captured first town) it's need to drown a bark, who's first enters to my squadron. Bark's crew is 36 man's, my 28.Okey, crew's useful consists of my preparation, but on boarding i have 2 peoples(without officers) and enemy's crew counts 7-9. Why?

Thanks for advices, that's about what I thought. But there's one thing. In second main quest for Hawk (spying in captured first town) it's need to drown a bark, who's first enters to my squadron. Bark's crew is 36 man's, my 28.Okey, crew's useful consists of my preparation, but on boarding i have 2 peoples(without officers) and enemy's crew counts 7-9. Why?

It doesnt really matter how much enemies are there, to be honest i think there more than 2 NPC on your side, but you just dont see than because how fast they are dying. You dont even need to care about them being 7-9 and you being with only 2 crew members - its all about showing you that you are not strong enough. Actually what's more important is that how strong they are - you can always put yourself in a position when you gonna deal with only one of them at time by staying on stairs for example and now there could be even 20 of them - you just hit / block / hit / block. The real problem is when they not only deal huge damage, but they pierce your block very often - it easly means that you are too weak in a matter of your crew number and their equipment.

You should also include some kind of random factor, even if it doesnt exist then its fairly realistic because many situations in history showed that a small group of people with big hearts and will of fight can sustain a larger and stronger forces of enemies. So you shouldn't think that being barely stronger than enemy crew just gives you victory - they can still easly beat you

Last edited:

It doesnt really matter how much enemies are there, to be honest i think there more than 2 NPC on your side, but you just dont see than because how fast they are dying. You dont even need to care about them being 7-9 and you being with only 2 crew members - its all about showing you that you are not strong enough.
no, i see my 2 peoples)) they're spawn right in front of me, and dying on my eyes) there's something else. When i have officers they become these "2 members of my crew". And third. I tried boarding 6 class ship. And...i don's see differences. 2 peoples of my crew, 2-4 hit for death (like at 7 class).

class of ship doesnt matter. I already told you about all factors that matter, if you cannot understand the symbolical nature of the amount of fighters during boarding then i cannot explain it better than i already did

class of ship doesnt matter. I already told you about all factors that matter, if you cannot understand the symbolical nature of the amount of fighters during boarding then i cannot explain it better than i already did
Ok, i understand that "symbolical"( but it's not realistic in any case). Thanks for your help) And i have a small question. Again) How i can change " use quick command"(standard on "space")? Cause i like block on this button, and when battle is over, it throws to next deck. I changed button,but it still working on "space" too(

Certainly I believe the enemy has way too many people in most instances of boarding I've experienced in this mod. In fact, this - and the enemy troops seeming to have excessively high hitpoints - is what I believe could do some toning down in this mod. To prove this, I boarded a Tier 4 ship with my Tier 1 Manowar (the biggest ship in the game with 1000 crew) and still the enemy had more men.

In the original game, boarding was scary at first, but I feel the number of opponents more closely matched the crew disparity between your ship and the enemy's.

I managed to successfully board ships in New Horizons, but I needed to be higher than Level 20, and get the best swords and armour available.

The difficulty settings don't seem to affect boarding difficutly at all from my experience, so this is another thing that I feel should be looked into.

Numbers of boarders: you and your officers count against your total. If crew sizes are about the same then the enemy should have as many boarders as you, your officers and your own boarders put together.

Morale is at least as important as numbers. Weaken the enemy ship's morale by bombarding it with grapeshot. If you're lucky, the ship might even surrender which means you only need to duel the captain, and sometimes you don't even need to do that.

Equipment is also important. Enemy boarders are likely to have good swords. Yours will have whatever you put in the weapons locker. If you don't put swords in there then your boarders just have basic cutlasses. You can also put armour in there and the boarding crew will take it. (Incidentally, if you win a deck battle, loot all the corpses, especially any of your own boarders, so that you can get back any weapons or armour they were carrying.)

Follow all these hints and you'll be the one doing the slaughtering. To prove this, I've boarded a tier 1 man of war with my tier 4 ship, was thoroughly outnumbered of course (on some decks I had no boarding crew and not even all my party officers), and ended up capturing it.

Ok, i understand that "symbolical"( but it's not realistic in any case). Thanks for your help) And i have a small question. Again) How i can change " use quick command"(standard on "space")? Cause i like block on this button, and when battle is over, it throws to next deck. I changed button,but it still working on "space" too(
From the main starting screen, click "Options", from where you should be able to find a section to change key assignments.

Numbers of boarders: you and your officers count against your total. If crew sizes are about the same then the enemy should have as many boarders as you, your officers and your own boarders put together.

Morale is at least as important as numbers. Weaken the enemy ship's morale by bombarding it with grapeshot. If you're lucky, the ship might even surrender which means you only need to duel the captain, and sometimes you don't even need to do that.

Equipment is also important. Enemy boarders are likely to have good swords. Yours will have whatever you put in the weapons locker. If you don't put swords in there then your boarders just have basic cutlasses. You can also put armour in there and the boarding crew will take it. (Incidentally, if you win a deck battle, loot all the corpses, especially any of your own boarders, so that you can get back any weapons or armour they were carrying.)

Follow all these hints and you'll be the one doing the slaughtering. To prove this, I've boarded a tier 1 man of war with my tier 4 ship, was thoroughly outnumbered of course (on some decks I had no boarding crew and not even all my party officers), and ended up capturing it.
Thanks!) I understood it already(Rip0sta explained me)
From the main starting screen, click "Options", from where you should be able to find a section to change key assignments.
I changed. But "space" button works on "block", and "quick use command" too( . "quick use command" works on "space" and my chosed button "F" . How i can change it to work only on "F" ?

Back