• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Promoting crew

samoja

Powder Monkey
You know how if you take the shore party you always get the same men until they die, well i noticed they gain experience too but you cant inspect it, and if you got shared experience then they probably get even more, well i was thinking, it would be nice if you could promote those crew to officers, for example you get the option in dialogue"i am considering you for promotion" if you chose it you are given the list of crewmen s attributes, like when you meet an officer and you ask him "how good" of course all crewmen would be on LvL 1 in all attributes for start, but by keeping them with you you can train them to be better, i think this would be good because most officers in the mod are already on high levels, so it is hard to level them up in order to give them new abilities, anyways once you get out of that menu you get two options, like " you are not officer material yet" or "you are promoted", in which case you get to chose a tipe of officer you want the crewman to be promoted to (kind of like changing officers roles).

I do like that idea. Though there should be disadvantages involved to offset the cheapness of such a promotion.
Maybe have any promoted crewmember start at level 1 or something?

I do like that idea. Though there should be disadvantages involved to offset the cheapness of such a promotion.
Maybe have any promoted crewmember start at level 1 or something?

well as i said, they are lvl one when you get them first, so you have to hold them with you for some time in order to level them up enough, of course you can promote them imidietly but in that case they are lvl 1 in all atributes, so essentially it would only pay to promote thos crew that have seen more than their fair share of combat.

But they gain experience the same way as officers do, so you could not promote them and let them gain experience for free,
then promote them and get a good officer very cheap. I don't think crewmembers should gain experience like officers,
but changing that makes this whole thing a LOT more complicated to achieve.

But they gain experience the same way as officers do, so you could not promote them and let them gain experience for free,
then promote them and get a good officer very cheap. I don't think crewmembers should gain experience like officers,
but changing that makes this whole thing a LOT more complicated to achieve.

well considering the price for officers, up to 1000, mostly around 500 gold, their respective skills(close to max or max in their field) and amount of time needed for training a crewman, especially if you want him to be anything else but comrade in arms, i believe dis balance would not be so high, but it should be tested to be sure.

I've been looking into writing the actual code for this and I do have the main part working already.
See attached; please give it a try and see what you think.

ok, it works all right (except for a slight twisting of the image in the moment-minor inconvinience, goes away for a few seconds), yet it ould be good if you could actualy see the stats of your officer, i promoted two, one had arms stats 3, and another 2. congrats for making it work so fast by the way.

Try this version instead:
. Fixed weird model effects after hiring
. Can only hire once in each location (maybe change to once per day?)
. Added ability to view crewmembers' abilities (but only if you actually CAN hire him as per above)
. Added salary for them (balancing?)

Please check if there's any weird effects still left, but also pay attention to difficulty levels and balancing.
It does now present you with an infinite source of officers, which doesn't seem quite right to me.
Maybe only allow hiring once the crewmember has a certain level already, eg. already leveled up to 5?
Or only allow hiring once per day or even once per month? Maybe only allow hiring when you've got a certain leadership level/perk?
Thoughts please, because we'll definitely need to be placing a limit of some kind on this.
And what about the salary? Good or should be higher/lower?

Try this version instead:
. Fixed weird model effects after hiring
. Can only hire once in each location (maybe change to once per day?)
. Added ability to view crewmembers' abilities (but only if you actually CAN hire him as per above)
. Added salary for them (balancing?)

Please check if there's any weird effects still left, but also pay attention to difficulty levels and balancing.
It does now present you with an infinite source of officers, which doesn't seem quite right to me.
Maybe only allow hiring once the crewmember has a certain level already, eg. already leveled up to 5?
Or only allow hiring once per day or even once per month? Maybe only allow hiring when you've got a certain leadership level/perk?
Thoughts please, because we'll definitely need to be placing a limit of some kind on this.
And what about the salary? Good or should be higher/lower?

may i suggest Rhys Bloom from stock POTC as a template for crew in the shore party, all his stats except one are set to 1, and that one is 0, this way player can track development of his party members, and decide when one of them is worthy of officer slot and pay.

I set all crewmembers to start with 1 on each skill; however, somehow some randomization seems to be going on.
Not sure where that comes from, but I think it doesn't really hurt the mod either.

So how is this working gameplay-wise?
Do your crew gain experience and can you train them properly to become good officers?
And how about balancing-wise?

You need to install the files from post #9 above. Then tell a crewmember on your deck to follow you ashore and then when you talk to him ashore, you can promote him.

Back