• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Quest Book Doesn't Work

Perro Negro

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
I've been playing on FreePlay for a long time without any problems. Now the mission book doesn't work for me: I have the pending missions, but when I click on each mission to find out what to do, the content or the history of the mission doesn't appear, I click and nothing happens.

The other day I also wanted to install the original Pirates of the Caribbean game with the CDs, and in the installation process it started to remove components of the NH; I immediately cancelled the process. It also won't let me install it in another folder. I suspect that the installation process deleted some installed NH file.

Is there a solution without installing everything again?

Last edited:
The CD installer certainly should give you a chance to install to a different folder. Unless told otherwise, it wants to put the game into "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda", if I remember correctly. These days, I always send it to "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".

If the CD install has already started installing into the same folder where you had Build 14 then indeed you will need to install everything again.

Start by installing the game from CD. When it has finished, copy the entire game folder to somewhere else, e.g. "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock".

Then create a new folder, e.g. "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - New Horizons". Copy the entire contents of "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock" into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - New Horizons". Then install the mod into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - New Horizons".

If you also want to play the original game, make another copy of "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock" into yet another folder. You can then play the original game in this copy, while "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock" remains completely untouched.

And if you need to install the mod again, you don't need the CD's. Just make yet another copy of "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean - stock", then install the mod into this copy.

You can have as many different installations in different folders as you like, if you have enough disk space. I usually have at least three.

When I put the CD in it automatically started processing to remove components, but I cancelled it immediately. It didn't give me a chance to put the game in another folder.

Even though you cancelled it, is it possible that you deleted files from NH?

I have the game and the mod installed at C:Games

When I put the CD in it automatically started processing to remove components, but I cancelled it immediately. It didn't give me a chance to put the game in another folder.

Even though you cancelled it, is it possible that you deleted files from NH?

I have the game and the mod installed at C:Games
I don't really know. That CD is not behaving the way I'd expect. Even if it installs the game without asking you which folder to use, I would not expect it to remove anything from the mod because the CD will normally go to "C:\Program Files (x86)". If it's removing things then somehow it has found the existing installation.

If the CD has already removed anything then cancelling it won't help; some of the files from the mod will be missing and it won't work. If the CD is installing the game to its usual folder then it won't touch the mod in "C:\Games". So, insert the CD again and let it finish what it's doing. Then try to play the mod in "C:\Games". The original game looks very different so you'll know at once if it has been replaced.

But first, make a copy of all your translation work! Anything you did up to 20th December is in the update archive so you can get it back from there, but any of your newer work including everything for "Jack Sparrow" is only on your PC.

Now, only the original game is installed on another computer
Do you have the mod on any computer? If not, do what I suggested in post #2. Copy the folder with the original game, then install the mod onto that copy. Next time you want to install again, don't use the CD's, just make another copy of your folder with the original game.

I don't really know. That CD is not behaving the way I'd expect. Even if it installs the game without asking you which folder to use, I would not expect it to remove anything from the mod because the CD will normally go to "C:\Program Files (x86)". If it's removing things then somehow it has found the existing installation.

If the CD has already removed anything then cancelling it won't help; some of the files from the mod will be missing and it won't work. If the CD is installing the game to its usual folder then it won't touch the mod in "C:\Games". So, insert the CD again and let it finish what it's doing. Then try to play the mod in "C:\Games". The original game looks very different so you'll know at once if it has been replaced.

But first, make a copy of all your translation work! Anything you did up to 20th December is in the update archive so you can get it back from there, but any of your newer work including everything for "Jack Sparrow" is only on your PC.

All right, I'll do that. Thank you

Oh, I forgot to ask you if I can use FreePlay's saved games if I have to install everything again

The mod is installed on a different PC

If you still have the FreePlay saved games and you copy them into the "SAVE\FreePlay" folder of the mod, you should still be able to use them. They may not appear in the correct sequence when you load the profile, but they should work.

I did what you suggested: I put the CD in and left the process until the end and it uninstalled NH components.

Now I'm installing the original again and then installing the mod, which is what I'm interested in.

What is the page to download the latest update and install from scratch?

"Fixes.txt" is not part of the update. It is just a list of what has changed in the update archive. You can download and read it separately if you are interested. It is not needed for the game.

Run the game, try to load one of those saves, then quit the game and post "compile.log". That will tell me which version of the game you were playing when you made those saves. It may be possible to fix the game so that it can use the "FreePlay" saves.

"Fixes.txt" is not part of the update. It is just a list of what has changed in the update archive. You can download and read it separately if you are interested. It is not needed for the game.

Run the game, try to load one of those saves, then quit the game and post "compile.log". That will tell me which version of the game you were playing when you made those saves. It may be possible to fix the game so that it can use the "FreePlay" saves.

Where is that file?

Although I swear I played with the September 18 version

The log files "compile.log", "system.log", and sometimes "error.log", are all in the game installation folder at the top level - not in "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE".

If your games are the September version then:
  • In folder "PROGRAM", rename "globals.c" to "globals_new.c". Rename "globals_old.c" to "globals.c".
  • In folder "PROGRAM\ITEMS", rename "items.h" to "items_new.h". Rename "items_old.h" to "items.h".
Changes were made to those files in the November version of the update. If you loaded a savegame from September into the November version, played for some time, then tried to save again, the game would crash. So the November version was set to not allow older savegames.

To allow players to continue with old savegames, the November and December updates include the older files. All that renaming means that the older files are back in use, so the game should then read your savegames.

The log files "compile.log", "system.log", and sometimes "error.log", are all in the game installation folder at the top level - not in "PROGRAM" or "RESOURCE".

• In folder "PROGRAM", rename "globals.c" to "globals_new.c". Rename "globals_old.c" to "globals.c".
  • In folder "PROGRAM\ITEMS", rename "items.h" to "items_new.h". Rename "items_old.h" to "items.h".
Changes were made to those files in the November version of the update. If you loaded a savegame from September into the November version, played for some time, then tried to save again, the game would crash. So the November version was set to not allow older savegames.

To allow players to continue with old savegames, the November and December updates include the older files. All that renaming means that the older files are back in use, so the game should then read your savegames.

Well thank you very much

Your instructions have rescued my old FreePlay games
:pirateraft:cheers :bounce

Back