• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Questing about porting over PotC story lines to CoAS

Captain Kidd

Landlubber
I recently started investigating whether it would be possible to port over some the quest lines from PoTC to CoAS. The idea is that I change as little as possible to make the quests playable in CoAS. From what I've seen at this forum it should be possible. After sifting through the code a bit I came across a few questions I'll need some help with. I'm not asking anyone to help me with the actual coding. Though I have little experience in the matter I'm willing to learn and make this a long project. I just need a few pointers here and there to get me started.

1) Based on the "guide" on this forum I'm sure I need to use the "quest_reaction.c" files from both games and copy the relevant "dialogs.c" and "dialogs.h" files. However, I'm not exactly sure which other files I'll need to check from PoTC for the basic information and to which CoAS files I need to translate this info (for example, I'm pretty sure the "reaction.functions.c" file from CoAS is a requirement). Porting over characters and ships I can do, however I'm not entirely convinced I can find all the files I need to link these to the relevant quests.

2) How do I create new locators in towns and other locations so I can link the new NPC's to these? And if this shouldn't be possible, can I use existing ones (for example those used by patrolling soldiers) without creating any issues?

If someone's got any tips, all help is welcome! :)

:ahoy

This sounds good to me! There are some people around who can help you out, but it might be a good idea to ask the creators of those POTC quests if it is ok to do this. They might even want to help you out.

WoodesRogers is so very dependent on the POTC cities Redmond and QC so I suggest not to try it.

Indeed difficult. I have hoped for this forever and as well acquainted as I am with the code for both games now, I am still both scared and reticent to take this on myself. I wish you all the luck and success in the world!!!! :onya MK

1) - In PotC most of the code files that are specific to each story are in the PROGRAM \ Storyline \ folder for the story.

If you look in there you should find a lot of what needs to be transfered or changed.

2) not sure how to create Locators in COAS - but using ones that are already there should not cause too many problems ( just occasionally 2 people standing on top of each other :p )

Good luck - - it would probably be best to try the Tales of a Chevalier - or one of the Devlin stories first as they are short.

:drunk

Thanks for the advice Talisman, I will definitely start with a short quest first.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between the quest_reaction.c and reaction.functions.c files for COAS. It seems to me I can just as well put everything in the quest_reaction.c file, or am I mistaken?

Jack Rackham, I'll experiment a little with the TOOL and see what I can find. I've never used it before so it might take a while for me to figure it out.

It's very easy:
0 make a backup of the original locatorfile

1 start the TOOL
2 Open gm
3 choose the locatorfile you want to change
4 Open
5 view\locators
6 Locators (on the grey background)
7 scroll down to the bottom and add a new line with your locator
use a unique name
8 Apply Changes
9 Save gm

10 the changed locatorfile is saved with an _x added to its name.
remove that (if you want to replace the original loc.file with your new one
OR
change the name completely (but then you have to change the reference in the locationfile.

You can always ask me if anything goes wrong. :modding

Back