• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question of the day

jearwood

Landlubber
10 points to the first person who can tell me what the difference is between a boat and a ship. I'll give 20 points (they are quite valuable) to whomever can give me both the modern day difference and the age of sail difference. It doesn't count if you Google it.

No-one? I'll give you a hint. A sloop is a sloop, a xebec is a xebec, a cutter is a cutter... They are all boats. But a ship is a ship.

Okay. Another hint. What does it mean to be "ship rigged"?

We got the modern day explanation, now what makes a rated ship a ship?

A full ship rig also includes jibs and/or stays flown as specified by sail-plan or need (assist with upwind sailing / tacking?), with a fore-and-aft spanker on the mizzen (for maneuverability?)

Some qns of my own:

I've recently got a nice explanation of the difference between a Snow and a Brig in the modeling forum (big muchos gracias!), but what is the difference between a ship rig and a barque rig? I do notice that on a barque, the square sails can be rotated over 90 degrees from centreline. Why is it considered "the most efficient sailing plan" for a ship?

Back