• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Question regarding abilities that indicate the requirement of an officer to also have the ability

Sornan

Landlubber
Hello guys

Heck I've searched alover the place for this thru google, really surprised it seems no one else has been confused by this and posted by now - Ok, so quite a few of my ship abilities on my character indicate the requirement of an officer on board that also has the ability and is appointed to a specific position. Now, big question, if my player character does *not* have a specific ability that a newly appointed officer *does* have, if that officer is placed in the appropriate position to allow that ability that he has (of which I dont) to properly function, does the ability he has go into effect even though my pc does not have it? Or easier put, for any officers appointed to ship positions, are their various ship abilities applied only *if* my character has the same ability as well?

Honestly it seems to me awkward that my pc would have to have the medic abilities for a newly appointed surgeon to do his job, when the captain would have nothing to do with such a field in the first place. But I'm just speculating here, the manual is providing like no information about the whole character abilities area, so I'm left to question how all of this really works with officers.

Tia :)

Hi
your first question: yes.
your second question: no. o_O
your officer's ability goes into effect whether your pc has the ability too or not.

The reason for the perks to show the requirements of officers, is so that you are aware of which perk benifits which officers. You do not need officers in order to have those perks work, you could easily have all the trade and gunnery perks and they would work wether you have officer who also have those perks and in command of the correct positions upon your ship or no officers at all. Because you can't have all the ship perks, you will have to choose which perks you have yourself and let your officers you hire give you the bonuses of the ones you can't have. This is where the officer requirements for each perk comes in, but also perks you have will not been you can jump perks for your officers.

Example, if you have the first medic perk and you have asigned a officer to the role of doctor who doesn't have that perk but has a special point to use on a perk. You can't give your doctor the second perk, because just like you he will need the first medic perk before medic perk 2 can be given to him regardless of who has what perks themselves.

Hey Thanks a ton for clearifying that. The description of the various ship abilities in game is defenitely a bit misleading. Muchly appreciated, understanding this just knocked down the volume of officers I need :) Cheers!

Back