• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Questions & Thoughts

I'm not sure, really. That was added a long, long time ago if I recall.

hmm, I'll test this and then we'll have to have a discussion on it.

You've got three levels of books:
- Low Level: Only "Cooking with Albatross". This is completely useless and serves only as a reminder to players that "dead albatrosses decrease luck".
- Medium Level: Their effect is hidden (on Realistic Game Mode) to make the game a bit more interesting and has to be gathered from the description. They each give +1 on their respective skill.
- High Level: Two bonus points per book, clearly marked

I don't get the albatross reference, nor do I like the idea of having hidden effects; I never bought those books because it wasn't clear to me that they actually boosted my skills.

Officers on companion ships is something that doesn't work entirely right. In some instances it might, but in others it will not.
The captain is by far the most important.

That's quite unfortunate

I'm going to start a new game soon because how easy my pirating has made my adventure rather stale, and I may as well play a game when a crucial update is released that needs some testing; any idea when that will approximately be?

I don't get the albatross reference, nor do I like the idea of having hidden effects; I never bought those books because it wasn't clear to me that they actually boosted my skills.
The Albatross is a cursed item that gives -2 Luck, but doesn't show that it does.
"Cooking With Albatross" DOES show its -1 Luck modifier and can be easily sold, so it does no harm.

Those medium level books were originally supposed to be a bit of a joke and even had negative skill modifiers on them.
Then they were changed to negative AND positive, so they just moved skills around. That also seemed a bit useless to me.
So I changed them to purely add one skill point that is hinted at in the item description.
I didn't want to make it too obvious, because that would defeat their original intent as a joke.

It can be a thin line to walk between pure gameplay and making things as obvious as possible,
while also retaining the various modders' original intents for their work.

That's quite unfortunate
Agreed. I wished we had someone who could address it, but we don't. :(

I'm going to start a new game soon because how easy my pirating has made my adventure rather stale, and I may as well play a game when a crucial update is released that needs some testing; any idea when that will approximately be?
Yesterday. The Beta 3 Full release is now publicly available: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads

So I went to go start a new game with the new version, and I couldn't find the option that allowed me to fast travel; where is it, exactly?

Top of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
// ======================================
// REALISM OPTIONS:
// ======================================
// Included in Realistic Game Mode:
#define REALISTIC_SHIP_INERTIA       0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Ships require counter-rudder and don't sail as if on rails
#define SHORE_DANGER_ALARM         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Red flashing icon and danger music do not start until enemies draw their blade
#define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO         1     // BOOL - 0=OFF - Shores and ports must be discovered by sailing there manually before you can use Sail To
#define DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL       1     // BOOL - 0=OFF - Town locations must be discovered by finding them manually before you can use Fast Travel
^ Set that to 0
#define NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT       0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Items required for certain navigational information to become available
#define ENABLE_LIMITED_SHIPCLASS     0     // BOOL - 1=ON - When player takes command of ship of too high tier, Leadership and Sailing skills drops
#define CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING   0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Your gun won't reload while your sword is drawn
#define SAIL_OPERATE_DELAY         3     // INT - sailors will operate sails this amount of seconds after receiving command (set to 0 to restore stock PotC)
// Included in Iron Man Mode:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding disabled
#define ITEM_REALISM           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)

Sorry - I'm new here, so I'm not sure I place my post at the correct threat. But 'Questions & Thoughts' seems about right.
I want to suggest to add an auto-save function and if that is not possible at least a quick-save button (traditional F5).
To change to the main-menu pulls one out of the gameplay constantly and requires a lot of discipline. Players of modern games are simple not used to it!
I played the game for 3-4 hours and ended up in a captain's cabin, which I couldn't leave (obviously a bug).
All my quest progress was lost and I lost my motivation to continue playing this game :(.
It is a pity, when a good game becomes so off-putting, because of such a small (missing) thing.

QuickSave/QuickLoad exists already. Use F5 for Save and F6 for Load in the latest Build Mod releases. :doff

Back