• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Random notes about merchants and items

LarryHookins

Buccaneer
Staff member
Storm Modder
I've just spent a few hours going through code and come across some interesting stuff.

Items in the game have a minlevel, which is supposed to keep you from seeing them before you reach a certain level. There seems to be a problem that it's only used if you have IT_RPG_STYLE set to true to use RPG style item traders. If that's set to true, you should see items with minlevels from 2 levels below your character's level to 1 level above it. This would go a long way toward limiting the number of swords you encounter at any given level.

The problem comes in that you won't see lower level items if your character is a high level. I suspect that after about level 17, traders wouldn't have any goods to sell at all. I haven't tested that yet. This might be why some people complain that the merchants no longer have goods to sell.

Enforcing the minlevel will mean that you only see certain swords at a certain character level. There would be a problem with that because everyone would be carrying higher class weapons as you advanced in rank. While this seems like a good idea (it did to me before I thought about it more), it will mean that at level 20 every common ruffian will be carrying a bosun's choice or similar.

It's likely that other items will also disappear.

I play with IT_RPG_STYLE turned off, so the stuff I see is based mainly on its rarity, and for items at merchants, their merchant rank. Bad guys carry a wide variety of weapons. I find all sorts of stuff in chests.

For those people playing with IT_RPG_STYLE turned on, what happens with a level 20 character? Do you still see a lot of low level weapons on enemies you meet? Does the merchant still carry a variety of goods?

If this code isn't working properly, there's a LOT of it to modify, and I really don't want to have to mess with it if I don't have to.

Pieter, you mentioned not being able to buy a cheap compass later in the game. Do the lower level merchants still have them?

Hook

I didn't check, but I do believe you're on the right track here. It's indeed when you reach higher levels, that lower-level stuff starts disappearing.
Why do items start appearing at minlevel-2? Shouldn't they start appearing at minlevel and then remain in the game all the time?
Personally I'd like it if certain items would become a LOT MORE RARE if you already have one of them.
For example with clocks and compasses and such. That way they could be common when you need them and then become rare so they don't clutter the screens anymore. And if you want a second to give to another officer, you won't find them all the time either.

Back