• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic prizes for goods?

Swords, pistols, coffee, gold etc. - how realistic these prizes are in the game- looks like everything is bit too expensive and money itself has very little value.... terrible inflation here in the Caribbean :8q

this makes it bit funny that usually you earn more by cheating loansharks :wp than capturing ships filled with gold like a real pirate- shouldn't it be that first little loan and then huge profits so you can actually pay back- in this game it's easier just to take some money from loanshark and run away.......

correct me if i'm wrong but back in those days money was quite rare and it should have more value compared to usual goods like bricks or planks or whatever...... of course gold and silver etc. spices and stuff should be also expensive but looks like everything is expensive....

Also priests are horribly greedy :d: to keep your reputation high you need to give millions and millions to church- doesn't really feel realistic in 17th century caribbean.......

In future mods/builds i would like to see as realistic prizes as possible :doff

It's rather difficult getting the game properly balanced. You're welcome to try if we tell you where to change the prices in the code.
Point is we don't want to make the game too easy. :facepalm

It's rather difficult getting the game properly balanced. You're welcome to try if we tell you where to change the prices in the code.
Point is we don't want to make the game too easy. :facepalm
It's not about difficulty- this game has both huge amounts of money that is easy to get and high prizes so it's not hard - but money just has not much value- and i've no idea about codes :shrug original game already had bit odd prizes and bit too worthless "gold".....

On the loansharks I was working on a mod to make it so they would never allow you to borrow again until you pay them back...

Not sure if I actually got it working, do you remember Pieter? :?

It was only going to be loanshark specific (e.g. borrow from port royale could still go to another loanshark and borrow but need to pay port royale shark back before you could borrow again)

I don't remember you doing that; thought what you were doing had to do with having questbook entries.

I think a longer look at the base values of things will be a good thing to get going. As it stands the main way you can make an item have more intrinsic value is to increase it's cost, but overall we should look to restablish a lower base value right across the board. It's the kind of project i quite like getting my teeth into, but it would certainly help if we knew just how reliable the random/rare code is that the game currently uses, as those two aspects are quite important in determining the value of things(as in common objects are cheap, rare items are expensive etc).

But something for the future once the big bugs are sorted i think :) As it is playing on Swashbuckler difficulty makes your returns and profit margins smaller.

The rarity code is UNRELIABLE! Items that are supposed to NEVER BE ENCOUNTERED like showing up randomly early in the game instead. GRRR! :boom

Back