• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help REALLY pissed off -.-

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hi guys,
I badly need your help. My game crashes the whole time. I replaced all files with backups but it still doesnt work. But I better tell the whole story:
It started when I played the standard Story Line and I was at the point when you must sink the frigate with the idol on board (after you killed all the guards in bridgetown). I boarded the frigate and was successfull. Than, before I could enter the Transfer-Menu, the game showed the Storm-Video and I was on Bonaire (the story was correct so far). But then it began: when I turned around, I saw, that the sea was gone and only a black field was there (a bit like the scene with davy Jones in Hoist the Colors). The man spoke with me and when I wanted to enter the bonaire jungle it happened nothing. And I could read something really weird: The Game said, that "Error Error" has reached level 2.

I thought, ok, better shut the game down and reload (that wasnt bad because I save everytime before enter my ship, because I still have the error that my shipdeck crashes sometimes). But when I wanted to load the file (the game worked) it crashed. I tried it twice. Then I was really pissed off, because I managed to get a Soleil Royal and so on and now my savegame was for the trash. Ok, doesn't help. But I didn't want to start from the beginning so I replaced the starting Ship with the Soleil Royal and cheated my gold an my levels. Everything worked fine. I captured Port-au-Prince and Tortuga/La Tortue to get my Commander-Status back and then I saved, because it was late xD.
So.. I wanted to start the game, ok, wanted to load -> CRASH!

Then I said ok, replace the files, so I made a backup of changed files (internalsettings, cannons and ships, which ALL was working) and replaced RESOURCE, PROGRAM and MODULES with the backup files from another build mod install (same version of course). As it was finished, the game worked, but savegame still crashed. Deleted Savegame, shut game down to change the starting ship again to soleil royal, wanted to start and now the whole game crashed after the video (in the loading scene with the HMS Bellona).
At the moment I try to install the game with the setup new, I hope it will work now.

But it cannot be a simple accident that the savegame of a certain storyline crashes two times?

EDIT: New-Installing helped, game started, I started the storyline, everything is fine now, at the moment, the savegame is still load-able ;)
One more question: I had several time problems with the game, cause it said the whole time "You can't save now" with Quicksave and with normal save it did just nothing? :(

another problem - seems my game hates me - : when boarding a ship that surrendered or a ship surrendered while boarding I go on deck/into the captains cabin and there is noone ! -.-

With all of the changes you made it is hard to say what might be wrong now, but it all started when you boarded that frigate to get the idol. :facepalm If you board that frigate and try to capture it the game WILL fail. You MUST sink it.
The story makes it sound like you need to capture it, but that is not the case. That frigate must be sunk.

Saves: You can not save while in combat. It should save any other time.

yes okay, I thought that this would be the problem. Storyline is ok, but I have (only in the standard-storyline) the problem, that there is no captain when the ship surrendered, all other storylines are working in this case.

And I could really just nowhere save.. not on land, not on shipdeck.. it just said you can't save now..
happened just 3 minutes ago, because the game thought that there is no active profile ?!

No captain when the ship surrenders is usually very rare. I can only remember it happening to me once. Methinks I deleted that game and started over.

Aha! The big hint. No active profile. How many games do you have on that install? When you have many profiles POTC will get confused and you will have to manually tell it which profile you are playing. I normally only play one game at a time and delete it when it is time to move on because of the lost profile bug.

I have per storyline one game, only in the standard I have 2.. but I think I will have to delete them again because of this no-captain error. I replaced all files of the standard storyline with my backup-files from the other install, cause I thought that if the problem is only in this storyline, the error must be somewhere in these files, or am I wrong?

Still 2 major errors in my game: 1. the "You can't save now" Error and the error with the large ship decks (Dauntless, Manowar..) that they sometimes crash when I want to enter them (usually happens in ports, at sea it works in 99% of cases)

Well...... Try going back to the main menu, select load, and then select profile in the lower right hand corner of the screen and make sure the correct profile is selected there. Then try it.

Huh. I try to go onto the deck and get things done before ever leaving port. It is more likely for it to crash at sea for me. :shrug

Today I had also run out of memory and not for the first time. I hijack 3 ships in a single pass. After I finished, I saved the game. I sailed on land and wanted to sell my ships. As a precaution, I saved again. Then I finished the game. Later, I wanted to play more and had to state firmly that all the savegames were gone. Except for the first 3, the last one before I began the battle for the 3 ships. Very annoying but not unique.

The hijack a ship crashes on start if I want to hijack a ship class 3. If I want to loot the corpses on the deck and I just move follows the CTD. If I do not loot corpses it usually works without problems.

When the game completely refuses to work properly anymore, you can always try to remove the "options" file. That sometimes get corrupted and removing that will trigger the game to generate a new, clean one.

guess which error is there again:modding after I installed a new game and deleted all profiles from the old install.. yesterday all wokred fine, I captured 100s of ships, when they surrendered, the captain were always there and today I hoisted the flag after several trade-missions.. shooted a couple of times at the indiaman, they surrendered and when I boarded the ship there was no captain again -.- tried it several times, also i tried to delete the options file but it changed nothing. The Error is still only in Tales of a Sea Hawk, in all other storylines captains are always there. And if I board a ship and they don't surrender, I can see the captain fighting.

Can you please tell me which file(s) is/are in control of this situation? maybe I can find the error, cause I don't wan't to disable the surrender-feature because it's one of my favourite features of the build-mod :(

Could be something in a registry-entry wrong? because this Error is since I had the crash because I captured the ship (as I wrote in my first post)

There is an "options" file in your main game folder. Delete it, then try again.

doesn't help. Error is still there, in saved games and in new games, and still only in Tales of a Sea Hawk

This is frustrating. I play only the Tales of a Sea Hawk and have only had this happen one time.

I had this since the beta 2.1 never, but now it seems like a really hard program-error. I found the files, they all seem correct and I can still not explain why this error appears just in this special storyline :( .
I think I will try it with a new download and a new stock install of the game, when I have proper Internet connection again. Otherwise this problem seems to be unsolveable.

Back