• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Recover a bad save? Help..?

Grant

Landlubber
Little bit frustrated, I got the Dutchman in port control, just captured a Galleon and Heavy Galleon with a Corvette, sold the Galleon, bought a ship of the line and when I went to put the ship of the line in the controller I had a bout a half a mil on me and a mil in the bank I went to quick save before all that then the game crashed.

I tried a system restore and didn't work.

If I can't get this save back I'm taking a long break from this game until I get a better computer to run GOF on.

Is there any way to recover this file at all..?

Not that I know of. If you wanted to end up at the same point you were at before by starting a new game, it would be fairly easy for you to edit the game files to tweak your character's starting inventory, etc. You can also use cheat mode to get to the same point, skills and all. If you want to take that rout, I, or somebody else (please.), can give you directions. If not somebody else, you'll have to wait till Friday before I'll get the chance.

Just remember to save often. Similar problems have occurred for me, but for some reason they seem to become less common the more I run the game.

Not that I know of. If you wanted to end up at the same point you were at before by starting a new game, it would be fairly easy for you to edit the game files to tweak your character's starting inventory, etc. You can also use cheat mode to get to the same point, skills and all. If you want to take that rout, I, or somebody else (please.), can give you directions. If not somebody else, you'll have to wait till Friday before I'll get the chance.

Just remember to save often. Similar problems have occurred for me, but for some reason they seem to become less common the more I run the game.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm curious why do wait till Friday? more members on then?

More a case of the amount of time it will take to dig the necessary information up. I'm swamped tomorrow, and today... time to go to sleep. Actually, it was time to go to sleep two hours ago. Waking up tomorrow will not be fun, I can tell you.

More a case of the amount of time it will take to dig the necessary information up. I'm swamped tomorrow, and today... time to go to sleep. Actually, it was time to go to sleep two hours ago. Waking up tomorrow will not be fun, I can tell you.
I can certainly imagine.

Unfortunately there is NO way to fix a "Bad Save"

I have always advised that players save often and that means not always using quicksave. Whenever I get to the end of a mission I save in a different window. With two running saves not far apart, your risk of losing hours and days of gameplay to a bad save are significantly reduced.

For what its worth, we know how you feel. It's happened to all of us - and it sucks! :modding Get back in the saddle Mate! :onya

MK

If you don't want to wait for me, you can Google cheat mode for CoAS, turn it on, and start a new game. Use it to advance all your desired skills, and get all the money you left off with. Then comes the tedious part.

Enter a shipyard, and save before talking to the guy inside. If he doesn't have the ship you need, load the save, and talk to him again. The ships he has will be completely different. Just do that until you have what you want.

Be warned that that will suck the fun out of the game if used incorrectly. I'd recommend using it to get to where you were and then forgetting it ever happened. There are also other ways to get the ship you want, and I can go over those later.

If you don't want to wait for me, you can Google cheat mode for CoAS, turn it on, and start a new game. Use it to advance all your desired skills, and get all the money you left off with. Then comes the tedious part.

Enter a shipyard, and save before talking to the guy inside. If he doesn't have the ship you need, load the save, and talk to him again. The ships he has will be completely different. Just do that until you have what you want.

Be warned that that will suck the fun out of the game if used incorrectly. I'd recommend using it to get to where you were and then forgetting it ever happened. There are also other ways to get the ship you want, and I can go over those later.
Thanks for the reply but I did have a kind of a backup save just before the part where the Dutchman sinks you. Well today I worked on getting everything perfect and just right and I have got about 133 pearls and little did I know I have a War ship, A Man of War, Heavy galleon, and The Queen's Ann's Revenge and same amount of money I have in the bank.

Turned out better then expected :)

Back