• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Reinitialization Code

I'm sorry people, we HAVE to lose the ability to reinitialize character models without starting a new game.
For some reason, I cannot make that work properly AND have the Select Storyline filters work.

It means that IF you make changes to initModels.c, you cannot get them to work on a savegame; you HAVE to start a new game.
For regular gameplay: doesn't make a difference at all. Might make a difference for Modders, but I think most of us start a new game all the time anyway.

In the process of "fixing by simplifying", I'm removing the Town Initialization from Reinit too.
It does weird things, slows down the process and what do we even need it for anyway?
The question remains: What things DO we need to be able to reinitialize in mid-game? Ships are definitely good, but other than that....?

That code is all-new and weird and everything.
Would require even more figuring out. Which, for simplicity's sake, I'm trying to avoid. Otherwise we'll never get anywhere and I'll just go crazy. :modding

Uhm.... maybe....? It's not crucial enough for me to put on the To-Do list though. Really FAR too much to still take care of.
Capture Colonies is going to hurt badly as well. :(

I wonder if there is some way to change the nation's option from random to fixed during the game and then reinitialize. This might with the issue of trying to play the main storyline with random relations.

well then, I will try to understand the reinitialization code and try to figure it out myself. After I finished the Pointe-a-Pitre dialogs, of course :doff

I wonder if there is some way to change the nation's option from random to fixed during the game and then reinitialize. This might with the issue of trying to play the main storyline with random relations.
You can do so manually with Game Preferences, no?
To allow the storylines to work with Random Relations ON would require locking/unlocking of specific relations as needed by the storyline.
Not technically impossible, but would require to be done on a case-by-case basis. Which will not be simple, because you have to think of ALL possibilities in advance.
Plus.... lots of work and who is there to do it?

Ok, that doesn't sound like it is worth it to try to make the storylines work with random relations. Did I understand you to say that if you change back and forth in game preferences and reinitialize, the game will recognize the change without a new game?

You shouldn't need to manually Reinitialize. Most Game Preference changes should take effect immediately in the game.
Only exception is stuff that edits any of the init files, but I don't think many settings do influence that.

So just wondering if there a still are problems with this? I think we should try to see if we can add the ability to load models and locations etc also when they aren't loaded yet.

Some definite issues:

- Sound and music alias files are not reinitialized once a new game has started; this prevents on-the-fly music pack updates.
This should actually initialize when starting the game and not be saved in the savegame at all.

- Character model reinit after starting a new game doesn't work

- Perks reinit doesn't work for removing abilities that were previously initialized

- I think character and location reinit doesn't work either. Characters definitely used to work in the past.

So just wondering if there a still are problems with this? I think we should try to see if we can add the ability to load models and locations etc also when they aren't loaded yet.
Uh? What do you mean by that?

Oh, so we ARE talking about the same thing! :rofl

I removed the character models reinit code completely, because I couldn't make it work with the new system anymore.
Compare to Beta 2.3 though that did still have it. Affected files are seadogs.c, MAXIMUS_functions.c, Reinit.c and the MODELS folder.

Back