• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Remember Captain Blood? I got my hands on a couple of demos!

ZachMurphyQT

Landlubber
Hi guys, new to posting here but I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks.
I managed to track down and play two of the demo builds for Captain Blood (2003-2013 RIP). I spoke with a few key individuals as well and managed to piece together an article based around my experience with the demos and a little bit about what happened to the project.
Let me know what you think!

Captain Blood – An Exclusive, Hands-On Look at Akella's Cancelled Pirate Game - QueueTimes

Nice article, @ZachMurphyQT!

It seemed that the game could have been good especially the original formula since you had more freedom.

EDIT: Unfortunately we may not play the full version ever, but who knows? :shrug

Last edited:
Good article. And bizarre what must've happened behind the scenes.
I still remember the sudden genre shift and how much our members here ridiculed the oversized weapons afterwards.

Never knew Playlogic bordered on the criminal, but I can't say I'm surprised.
They were quite a weird bunch and just forwarded people with technical issues to us instead of taking care of their customers themselves.

@Pieter Boelen I thought the last known version of the game looked fantastic. But as someone who's only other foray into pirate games at that stage was Risen 2, I don't think my bar was set extremely high.

Would still love to check it out though, if it ever sees the light of day.

I remembered it, in 2006 there were some clips from Captian Blood.
That's the way the game should be. Then there were problems between Akella and 1C.
A clip still exists. Look at the fencing and the character.
There were some scripts and demo versions. They were adapted to AoP1.

Back