• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Replace "Luck Skill" with "Sneak"

It's not a programer issue at all--as I explained the issue is that we give the players numbers (enemey hp, player hp, damage amounts for weapons) and then render them near meaningless by fudging them in all sorts of unexpected ways.

Nothing in my above post had anything to do with realism at all. It is all about achieving better gameplay. Clarity to what affects what, and what roles are good at what, so the player can understand what is going on.

And as I said repeatedly, it isn't about increasing the difficulty of anything, and the idea would be to preserve the difficulty balance. It is about unifying the ways difficulty is managed, and I even laid out very clearly how a set of unified changes would have to take place to specifically avoid increasing difficulty!

Nothing you point out would be a negative effect of anything I am proposing.

@ANSEL, I agree with @Grey Roger as well, because he is arguing with a strawman of his own creation, and is not actually arguing with what I posted.
:rofl

What I am trying to do long term in my work for the general mod is to bring the general balancing in line with 3 principles:

Principle 1) never achieve the same effect with 3 different mechanics. If you want enemies to be able to take more damage at higher difficulty levels, don't first increase their HP then decrease the damage they take then have a luck monopoly to increase player damage once again--just raise their HP the appropriate level.

Principle 2) make mechanics clear and understandable to the player. Don't show them sword damage numbers and enemy hp and then render those only loosely related to anything in game because they are being modified by skills the player isn't told has anything to do with combat.

Principle 3) make sure the mechanics are set up in a way consistent with the way the AI is set to play. If luck is a ccritical part of damage dealing, and the AI types that are supposed to be warriors don't get it, but the peaceful merchants and such do, then that is a problem (and the simplest solution is to replace it in direct combat)
I cannot disagree with any of those as those sound like quite sensible things to pursue.

Matches with my suggestion in another thread that for any one effect, ideally only ONE skill should be checked.
So it becomes a simple "this effect is modified by this skill" rather than a complicated "but also by this other skill and another one with a complex formula behind it".
In other words: Just making it simpler and hopefully more transparent for players.

If Luck influences random things in random spots in the game, nobody understands what it actually does anymore.
Which is currently most definitely the case. :facepalm

Back