• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

REQUEST: Beatrice Devlin model with male animations

taro8

HoO Team Member
2D Artist
Provisional
Hi there, first of all, great job on releasing 14 beta, I really have a lot of fun right now as game is much more stable.

Personally I like to play with Beatrice Devlin as my character, but there always something not up to my liking in that model. At first it was walking animations for original animation set (way to slow), then there is female animation set that is used right now with that horrible running animations.
So I was thinking: would it be possible to change Beatrice animation set to the one used bu male characters? Personally I think it would look better then now and I would love to see how funny she would look while walking those "manly strides" (walking aniation) ;) .

Just an idea as I do not know how much it takes to change animations in PotC.

Again great job on new version.

Ok, if nobody wants to help then at least tell me where I can assign animations to models if possible. Or how to revert to old Beatrice animations.

This is no where near as easy as it sounds, the reason why no one has answered is we currently have ONE person who can do it (and he is VERY busy) and two others who have a semi idea... So we cant even say how you could do it :no

I see, messing with animations in any game is lots of work, I know, but often there are files that put everything together. The model is just a skeleton with vertexes atached and I saw that in PotC animations are seperate files so I think there is some file that tells game what animations use for certain characters. Of course there is possibilty that animations are inside model with is unlikely.

EDIT: Ok, I see what have been done. The Beatrice specific animations were replaced with generic woman animations. They are copies, its easy to spot if you look at .ani files, they are the same.

I tried replacing them with man animations, but this is what I got:

potcanims.jpg

Behold mah praying mantis technique!!!!!eleven!!1 :cheeky

Honestly though, I think if I could get my hands on old beatrice model and animations I could replace them without problem. I tried downloading build 14 alpha, but dl. link is down so Im downloading 13. I dont rember if old Beatrice animations where there.

Get Build 14 Beta 1 from here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons

The thing is that I dont want Beta as new animations replaced old ones there. Does anybody have old build 14 alpha laying around? I would only want 4 files from there, but old download links are down. Another thing is that Build 13 dosent have Beatrice animations and models.

Oh wait; I vaguely recall that Damski did some work on the Beatrice model to make her use the stock PotC game animation instead.
Personally I prefer that so that she CAN swim without showing stupid effects.
Doesn't Build 13 have the Beatrice and Devlin models from as starting character options?

Hi,
I did both, Beatrice and BeatriceA(Catalina the Pirate),models for PoTC.

Taro8...do you want the models using the AOP ani.,or PoTC.?
I can make them use any animation but only by using Maya....have'nt got time for re- animating models for individual choice though.

damski.

The problem is that stock animations have absolutely hideous running animations compared to special animations that Beatrice had in previous versions. I downloaded 13 full, but there wasnt animations for Beatrice there.

The problem is that stock animations have absolutely hideous running animations compared to special animations that Beatrice had in previous versions. I downloaded 13 full, but there wasnt animations for Beatrice there.

So you want the AOP models and animations then :onya

Yes thats right, while not perfect, they have really good running animation compared to stock female ones (those arms swaing side to side drive me crazy. Also walking animations arent perfect as arms clip with body.

If you could send those animations from AoP U would be greatful

they have really good running animation compared to stock female ones (those arms swaing side to side drive me crazy.
I think that's because all females but Danielle were supposed to wear dress in stock PotC - they had to grab it to be able to run. Indeed it does look silly on special character like Danielle who aren't wearing normal female outfit.
On the other hand, for what I remember of AOP walking animation, it was soo slow I would stick to PotC animation... thought it is possible to change that easily - nevermind.

Build 13 doesn't have AOP Beatrice model? I almost 100% sure of the opposite. There should be both Beatrice in very light clothes or in her black outfit, and we hadn't changed their animation to PotC ones yet. They should be using 'new_animation' ani and an file, which is AOP.

A simple virtual sailor is correct, unless I'm VERY much mistaken.

Though the original AoP characters walk faster than the PotC ones, almost to the point of gliding over the ground instead.
That's actually one of the firstmost things about the "new" animation that I REALLY don't like.

In Beta 13 Full there is Beatrice model, however its completly diffrent from current one:

potcoldbeatrice.jpg

I only replaced model without chainging any names or anything.

BTW: It appears that this one is supposed be using male animations, but I may be wrong.

You are right about walk speed, but you spend most of the game running anyway and if you change small part in ani file she will walk faster, now only if you could speed up animatoin as well.....

I did some renaming of character models for Build 14 to sense things up.

In Build 14:
- Beatrice and BeatriceA are the AoP characters
- Beatrise is the character model shown on your screenshot above

In Build 13:
- Beatrise and BeatriceA are the AoP characters
- Beatrice is the character model shown on your screenshot above

Thanks, that one information was all I needed. I got AoP animations runnig without problem.

I would like to ask what programs, plugins and such are needed to edit PotC animations. I have quite some experience with modeling (mainly for Medieval 2 Total War), also I did some animation editing, nothing big, but I know how to work with keyframes. Maybe I could help you out a bit.

It is possible to speed up the animation ; I remember slowing down the attack moves when I was working on selecting what move to be used with each type of weapon. It can be done in the .ani file as well.

I needed to actually be able to see how each move was like, and all I was getting was some *woosh* in half a second... slowing down the animation was mandatory.

I suppose you need Maya to actually do proper animation work.
You might want to ask Damski; he is the one here with the most knowledge of animation.

It is possible to speed up the animation ; I remember slowing down the attack moves when I was working on selecting what move to be used with each type of weapon. It can be done in the .ani file as well.

Walking animation with sword drawn and sheathed clearly is too slow, that is why you get the glide/slide effect. If you could sped it up changing lines in ani file then it can be fixed without much problems.

I suppose you need Maya to actually do proper animation work.
You might want to ask Damski; he is the one here with the most knowledge of animation.

I dint work on Maya too much only to see what that program can, but as far as I know in most 3D programs, where you can edit animations, you can copy and paste keyframes so, theoretically, you could take stock swimming animation and paste it into AoP animation set, but its just a theory.

I did some text editing and got pretty good results, I added "speed" to walk and fight walk animations lines. Now it looks more natural, but there is small problem; standard walk animation is 1.8 but Beatrice have 1.3, I changed it 1.8 and sped up animation bit more to avoid gliding. However that cant be done like this, the animation is simply too fast to look natural, I think that animation editing would be needed so Beatrice would make bigger steps.

Check it out and see if it looks better now.

EDIT: I forgot about an file, heres original one for AoP animations: Beatrice.an

Attachments

• fixed walk animations.zip
    76.1 KB · Views: 118
Back