• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Responding to a very old FAQ

MarkQuinn

Powder Monkey
Hi. Believe it or not I have never read the FAQ post in this forum. Not until tonight. The first question was posted by my very old friend YankeePyrate and because I haven't seen any responses there I thought I would take a stab at it with the old cutlass. If it has been answered elsewhere please forgive my ineptitude. Also, I am beginning a new topic here because I did not see any answers posted there, just questions. It is my hope that perhaps a new topic of discussion can be started on this thread, namely: In what ways will the new Pirates! demonstrate more depth than its predecessors?

Q. Hrmmm. Guess my first question would have to be:
Can we actually be pirates (i.e. on the wrong side of the law, hunted, etc) in this game, or are we forced to be squeaky clean privateers/intrepid adventurers?

<b>A. Pirates! will remain loyal to the original, giving us everything we had in that game plus the addition of depth. How does that apply to your question? Well, simple. In the ORIGINAL Pirates! you could certainly be on the wrong side of the law. You could do whatever you wanted, taking ships from every nation without the safety net of a Letter of Marque. Sure, every nation would hunt you down and there would be no friendly ports open to you, but that's what you wanted, right, to be on the wrong side of the law? The new Pirates! will certainly let you fire on any ship you want, but with the addition of randomly placed Spanish missions and pirate havens (particularly the havens), you will still have someplace to go to resupply your ship and crew. All right, I am taking a liberty here. I cannot say with complete CERTAINTY that pirate havens will act in that capacity, but the name certainly denotes a place where you can refresh, restock and regain your bearings, doesn't it? If my theory is correct then "being on the wrong side of the law" will be easier than ever!</b>

mqbanner3.gif

There are a boat load of things you can do. There ARE pirate forts in the game. I am not altogether sure if you can enter those, but they do exist ... I could only assume they would make them capable of entering ...

You CAN be a `full-fledged` pirate in the game. One of the more interesting new features is the ability to take on real pirates from BlackBeard to Captain Kidd. They will look as historically accurate as the peeps at Firaxis can make them. You can actually fight your way to being the #1 pirate in the Caribbean!

Back