• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Restrict High Profit Cargo Quests based on Reputation/Fame

Olek

Landlubber
Started a campaign as an adventurer in the first start option, difficulty set to land lubber, was scrounging for money at first, picking over every corpse and really watching my funds.

The turning point of this campaign was when I accepted my first Store keeper job delivering some merchandise, The pay for it was ludicrous, I got 160,000 gold for it and it was easy money, bought a better ship, was able to capture and sell ships, and within a year of game time I had one 2nd rate and two 3rd rates and 1,600,000 gold stashed in the cabin, I was able to take on with my single 2nd rate 5 enemy 2nd and 3rd rates and annihilate them, basically it was too easy, and it was the merchant job that tipped the balance, so I think perhaps those jobs need to be toned down, the pay out for them is far more than anything offered elsewhere, this could perhaps be because of Landlubber level having a multiplier on payouts.

Thanks again for the report, @Olek!
As you can see, I have posted this one on the Bug Tracker now so we'll remember to double-check what's going on there.

Would you be willing to try any changes to this when they are made?

Also, to double-check: Which exact modpack version are you playing according to your game's main menu?

I've been doing a lot of those cargo quests to get money and rep as a start as well. The only time I got that amount of money was when I had to haul a cargo of gold (kinda right that they gave me that much else I would have just sold it for a HUGE profit :wp). Most of the hauls (at least 90%) are like 50-70k (I think with the starting ship it is 30 to 40-ish) depending on my cargo capacity. So I guess you just had a lucky roll in the goods you had to transport.

You probably get a percentage of the value that you are carrying.

Rather than reducing the reward, maybe there needs to be some sort of check in place?
For example: such "high profile jobs" wouldn't be given to players unless they have a good Reputation and some Fame to go with it?

Would that make more sense?

I think you should definitly have a higher positive rep to get more provitable jobs (you wouldn't give a load of gold to some unknown scrub right?). If that is possible to implement I think it would be a nice improvement to the game.

Should be possible. Just takes time.
I want to do some serious work on the meaning of Reputation and Fame anyway and this would fit right in.
So I could just take care of that all in one go. :cheeky

As Wolve said above it was a Gold shipment, the second job I did that I received over 100k I cannot remember what it was, but it does seem to be a percentage of the cargo, being over 1000 units the shipment would have been worth over 1 million, 10% of that would have been over 100k.
I agree that realistically they would have to offer an incentive to not sail off with it, but also realistically I doubt they would have given me the job in the first place, not only that, it destroys the balance, after running two trade runs I did not need to do any trade runs ever again, I didn't have to run any jobs for anybody, I bought the best ship available that was non navy, and just sold captured ships until I had that much gold there was little incentive.

Would you be willing to try any changes to this when they are made?
No problems at all, and the version I am using is Build 14 beta 4.

Cheers.

There are two possible solutions:
1 Reduce the reward for these quests across the board
2 Prevent low fame/reputation characters from getting such high pay quests

But what makes more sense?

The thing that makes this most difficult is that a delivery job that pays 50,000 gold in the normal game mode is easy money, traversing the world map to a location is pretty safe.
On the other side of the coin you have Ironman mode, it could take a couple of days real life to get to that location, so the 50,000 is hard earned.

I think solution two would be best as it would not affect those playing in Ironman mode as harshly.

So we get another variable: difficulty =D
I think indeed that it should not affect iron man mode. Also @Pieter Boelen option 2 seems the better one. If you reduce the reward it is more profitable just to pirate the goods (hence reducing the fun in playing as the honorable merchant).

Sounds like everyone prefers options #2, myself included.

That is much less of a "quick fix", so will have to be dealt with later.
I'll mark this as a "Feature Request" then.

Nothing is done with this yet right?
Might indeed be worth looking into.

Indeed nothing was done, because I'd first want Reputation and Fame to be given some more proper meaning.

Back